Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 AM

9,980 posts, read 12,319,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Except crime rates for poor whites are still much lower. For example, Appalachia is, in many spots, very poor and destitute, and also overwhelmingly white and gun-owning. But Appalachia doesn't have the same problems with crime as majority black areas, even majority black areas in states with stricter gun laws. Guns are clearly not the issue. And poverty is not enough to explain the differences in the black and white crime rates in America.

As for the video posted by the OP, what drivel! I could never understand this kind of thinking that's not only self-hating, but totally wrong. He completely ignores the fact that black-on-white crime, often involving guns, is far more common than white-on-black crime. It's sickening how someone could be so self-hating. But then I guess this is exactly the kind of ideology being pumped into people by the left-wing media and universities.
So what are you trying to say? That Black people are inherently violent?

Black people face mass discrimination on a embedded societal level that White people don't face at all. Of course that doesn't make committing crime right but once you understand that fact you start to see how brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc...

Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,228,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

Black people face mass discrimination on a embedded societal level that White people don't face at all. Of course that doesn't make committing crime right but once you understand that fact you start to see how brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc...
No, what the commenter is doing is pointing out an obvious fact. It's been no secret for years that crime, especially violent crime has been skyrocketing and much higher in poor african-american communities than their poor white equivalents....it's just the facts unfortunately, and it's been this way for a while.

Crying "racism" everytime this is pointed out and just ignoring it or burying our heads in the sand doesnt resolve this serious problem. The african american family and society in the US is in deep "crisis" and it goes way beyond racial lines.

You said: "brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc.."

This is an unfortunate perception that the media likes to paint nowadays in the US and isn't true. The US had made HUGE strides in combating the racism that it struggles with in the past. That doesn't mean their still isn't work to do, nor, does it erroneously mean that racism will ever be eradicated. But I don't think it's far to stereotype US society as a whole and paint the issue so blatantly with such a wide brush like your doing in your comment.

Murdfers them and then covers them up? Are you alluding to some kind of rediculous conspiracy theory or something? Because it doesn't really make sense what you're saying here.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM

I'm not talking about the USA specifically but wider society, African people around the world (Canada, UK, France, South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Australia etc..) are made to feel like they shouldn't feel proud of their African heritage because various reasons. Its been proven that African people when they move to Western Countries experience high rates of mental illness because of the hostile environment they live in.

Its a simple fact that certain situations which stem from colonialism and the Atlantic slave trade made ''Black'' people mentally scarred by the damage that happened to their ancestors and current problems in modern society which include; indirect racism, internal racism, colourism and the crab-bucket mentality of ''Black'' people today.

The perception that Western Media like to paint of Black people in reality is that they're ghetto, interchangeable with ''street'' & Urban, act a certain way and are dumb. Generally, perpetuating colonial stereotypes of a whole group of people.

My quote - "brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc.."

Was meant to refer to the amount of Young Black Males shot my police officers.

1 Black Man Is Killed Every 28 Hours by Police or Vigilantes: America Is Perpetually at War with Its Own People | Alternet

To say I'm crying Racism when in a world that racism is real and a much bigger problem then people like to think is just a typical reaction of someone that's naïve.

Again, this isn't a US problem but a problem the world other especially in societies that were involved in colonialism or territories that were colonies.

Also, where did you get the stats that African-American poor commit more crime than European American poor? You can't just type words up without any link to prove your claim.

When people like you think about race you tend to simply but it isn't.

Quote:
FBI arrest rates are
one way into this. Over the last three years of data – 2011 to 2013 –
38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape,
robbery, and aggravated assault were black. Clearly, these figures are problematic.
We’re talking about arrests not convictions, and high black arrest rates could
be taken as evidence that the police are racist.

So why are black
offenders – and young black men in particular – over-represented in America’s
crime statistics?

Judging from online comments, there is a wide spectrum of views on
this, from unapologetic racism to militant refusal to blame the problem on
anything but historic white racism.

Some criminologists think
we could be simply confusing race for poverty or inequality: black people tend
to offend more because they tend to be more disadvantaged, living in poorer
urban areas with less access to public services, and so
on.

If you control for deprivation, people of different races ought to be
similarly predisposed to commit crime. Or that’s the theory, at
least.

This study of violent
crime in deprived neighbourhoods in Cleveland, Ohio, found that reductions in
poverty led to reductions in the crime rate in exactly the same way in
predominantly black and white areas, suggesting poverty, not race, is the
biggest factor.

All sociologists have suffered from the same basic problem:
finding urban white communities that are as disadvantaged as the poorest
black neighbourhoods, so that you can get a fair
comparison.

White People Commit the Most Heinous Crimes, So Why Is America Terrified of Black Men? | Alternet

Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London;37474389

[B
My quote - "brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc.."[/b]

1 Black Man Is Killed Every 28 Hours by Police or Vigilantes: America Is Perpetually at War with Its Own People | Alternet
Adding vigilantes in with cops is a little like saying the U.S. Army and Boko Haram rape women every x hours in Africa, conflating the groups is a bit dishonest. Blacks kill blacks at close to a rate of one every 21 hours in Chicago (there are likely a few whites in the 415 stat, but clearly there is an urban black on black violence problem no one wants to address)

Chicago Homicides Down Drastically In 2013 To Fewest Murders Since 1965, Police Say

If you know thugs, you are far more likely to be killed by thugs.

The Small Social Networks at the Heart of Chicago Violence | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life December 2013

The draconian gun laws in most large American cities have a significant adverse impact on law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves from criminals with illegal guns and even vigilantes.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM

398 posts, read 626,467 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the USA specifically but wider society, African people around the world (Canada, UK, France, South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Australia etc..) are made to feel like they shouldn't feel proud of their African heritage because various reasons. Its been proven that African people when they move to Western Countries experience high rates of mental illness because of the hostile environment they live in.

Its a simple fact that certain situations which stem from colonialism and the Atlantic slave trade made ''Black'' people mentally scarred by the damage that happened to their ancestors and current problems in modern society which include; indirect racism, internal racism, colourism and the crab-bucket mentality of ''Black'' people today.

The perception that Western Media like to paint of Black people in reality is that they're ghetto, interchangeable with ''street'' & Urban, act a certain way and are dumb. Generally, perpetuating colonial stereotypes of a whole group of people.

My quote - "brave Black people really are in a society that only talks about them in racist stereotypical ways, murders them then covers it up etc etc.."

To say I'm crying Racism when in a world that racism is real and a much bigger problem then people like to think is just a typical reaction of someone that's naïve.

Again, this isn't a US problem but a problem the world other especially in societies that were involved in colonialism or territories that were colonies.

Also, where did you get the stats that African-American poor commit more crime than European American poor? You can't just type words up without any link to prove your claim.

When people like you think about race you tend to simply but it isn't.

White People Commit the Most Heinous Crimes, So Why Is America Terrified of Black Men? | Alternet

now you can really tell this guy is from the UK. how is the knife ban out there working out for you guys? soon we can make pencils illegal as well

Old 12-01-2014, 05:32 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,377,073 times
Quote:

I am saying no more than what I said. I said poverty was not enough to explain the difference in the black and white crime rates. From this, you can assume I would posit there are other factors at play. I did not say anything else about the nature of these factors. I didn't say anything about inherent violence. You brought up that idea, not me. In any case, I'm not commenting further on this. Anything further would be speculation and I'd rather discuss facts.

In what "racist stereotypical" ways are blacks seen? If they're seen as violent, how can you fault anybody for seeing them that way when in fact, they do commit a disproportionate number of violent crimes? (This is a fact, not an opinion. Are we supposed to ignore facts because they don't fit with our beliefs and values?) The media also completely buries instances of black-on-white crime, which are often racially-motivated and are also far more common than white-on-black crime. I'd say outright racially-motivated violence is the worst form of racial discrimination, and in that way discrimination against whites is a far bigger problem than it is against blacks. But discrimination against whites is socially "embedded," too, such as through discriminatory practices such as affirmative action.

Just recently, Louis Farrakhan endorsed widespread violence against whites. The reponse certainly hasn't been the same as if the situation were reversed! And since the decision against the indictment of Darren Wilson, there have been numerous racially-motivated attacks against whites. Does the media seem to care? Absolutely not! They're still focusing on their false narrative that blacks are oppressed by white police officers. If you want to have a serious discussion about how racially-motivated crimes are covered up, you should begin by acknowledging the massive discrepancies in interracial violence and how whites are far more often victimized by blacks than the other way around.

Last edited by snj90; 12-01-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I am saying no more than what I said. I said poverty was not enough to explain the difference in the black and white crime rates. From this, you can assume I would posit there are other factors at play. I did not say anything else about the nature of these factors. I didn't say anything about inherent violence. You brought up that idea, not me. In any case, I'm not commenting further on this. Anything further would be speculation and I'd rather discuss facts.

In what "racist stereotypical" ways are blacks seen? If they're seen as violent, how can you fault anybody for seeing them that way when in fact, they do commit a disproportionate number of violent crimes? (This is a fact, not an opinion. Are we supposed to ignore facts because they don't fit with our beliefs and values?) The media also completely buries instances of black-on-white crime, which are often racially-motivated and are also far more common than white-on-black crime. I'd say outright racially-motivated violence is the worst form of racial discrimination, and in that way discrimination against whites is a far bigger problem than it is against blacks. But discrimination against whites is socially "embedded," too, such as through discriminatory practices such as affirmative action.

Just recently, Louis Farrakhan endorsed widespread violence against whites. The reponse certainly hasn't been the same as if the situation were reversed! And since the decision against the indictment of Darren Wilson, there have been numerous racially-motivated attacks against whites. Does the media seem to care? Absolutely not! They're still focusing on their false narrative that blacks are oppressed by white police officers. If you want to have a serious discussion about how racially-motivated crimes are covered up, you should begin by acknowledging the massive discrepancies in interracial violence and how whites are far more often victimized by blacks than the other way around.
So because some Black people commit crime, its ok for society to stereotype that all Blacks are criminals?

I'm done, if you believe that you are a racist.

Post done!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
now you can really tell this guy is from the UK. how is the knife ban out there working out for you guys? soon we can make pencils illegal as well
How can you tell that I'm ''really from the UK''?

**** off..

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,377,073 times
Quote:
So because some Black people commit crime, its ok for society to stereotype that all Blacks are criminals?

I'm done, if you believe that you are a racist.

Post done!
I never said or implied that all blacks are criminals. The key word is disproportionate. This is not a matter of ideology, but of fact. You cannot deny facts, so the usual response--at least from the left--is to explain this as some sort of sociological phenomenon usually stemming from oppression. At least when it comes to poverty, I find that untenable for reasons I've already discussed. But in any case, regardless of the cause of the phenomenon, I would not fault anyone for noticing the phenomenon itself. Indeed, failure to do so is inimical to one's own personal good. As a practical example, your chance of being a victim of a crime is far greater in certain geographic locations in this country. It just so happens that many of them are majority black ones. And it's not a matter of poverty, because even in poor, white, gun-owning regions such as Appalachia, the level of risk is still not at all the same.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 PM

398 posts, read 626,467 times
Quote:
How can you tell that I'm ''really from the UK''?

**** off..
thats how right there.. but in fairness i just got back from England and there were solid bloaks out there who were real men who can handle themselves and they did not fall for all of this globalist totalitarianism cloaked in liberal propaganda and anti gun rubbish. So in fairness England has a stronghold of real men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas