Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
). Most of these things aren't as common in T&T as they are in Martinique these days.

Babble about what you know. In 2015 you can go to parts of Trinidad and hear practitioners of Orisha (the Trini name for what is called Santeria in Cuba) in YORUBA. Can you hear that in Martinique? NO! In fact there is even a holiday in Trinidad to commemorate those who practice Orisha and the closely related Spiritual Baptist religion.

The Indian culture is much more practiced in Trinidad than it is in Martinique.

What are you really talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Dude don't talk about my family..

YOU raised your family and then portrayed them as being typical of Kittitians. I suggest you withdraw your comments about your relatives. All I know of them is what you describe, but what I do know is that young Kittitians are proud of their culture and think ill of those who aren't. If that doesn't apply to your relatives YOU need to ask them why.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:43 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Culturally, Suriname and French guyana are extremely interesting. In terms of stuff to do, not really.
That's one of the catches....Suriname in particular seems fascinating for the Javanese mix in with Africa and India...but then you realize that if Javanese/Indonesian is a fascinating element of that society than maybe Indonesia/Java itself is the place to go.

It would still be interesting to see how all of those cultures interact with each other though.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:33 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
I would NEVER have a desire to travel to any of the Old Guyanas in S. AM

Old 10-03-2021, 09:35 PM

218 posts, read 155,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Did someone say they were expecting you to travel there?

Old 10-03-2021, 11:45 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Somehow this got bumped up. I've been there since the OP. It requires more planning than the usual destinations. There are very few direct flights to Parimsribo, and not many more to Georgwtown. And Suriname requires a visa before arrival, and yellow fever card.

Easiest way is to Trinidad, then connect to Georgetown, Guyana' In Georgetown, you'll go to the Surinane consul for a single-entry tourist card, same or next day. The ferry Guy-Sur crosses the river once a day, and a share taxi will get you there on time. Another share taxi to Paramaribo, which is a ratheer dull and boring tow. The Dutch expats there are rather cliquish. Jungle trips can be arranged, there is only Paramaribo and jungle, and a road to Cayenne, French Guyana.

If you go into Fr.-G, you cannot get out unless you go all the way to expensive Cayenne for a few days for a new Suriname tourist card. Or fly non-stop to Paris. However, you can go to the Suriname border town, where you can informally and cheaply hire one of the many outboards going back and forth across the river. The bustling bank on thr other side is in France, and there is a market there with kiosks where you can pay for lunch with euros. Be careful not to attract attention of Surinamese border officials. For $40, I got an all-day taxi from Pbo, including arranging the boat crossing.

From Guyana, you can continue on into Brazil, but not from Surinane. For my money, Guyana is nicer, but less developed, than Suriname.

Tip of the trip: If you changa flights at Trinidad, eat at Al-Haaq, an Arab kiosk across an inviting outdoor mall at the taxi exit.

Last edited by arr430; 10-03-2021 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-14-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The answer is short and simple.................NO.

Most people who would visit such places are only going for the sunshine and heat but there are too many other closer, cheaper, safer, and more interesting options for NAs.

People who are more into history and culture also have far better and more affordable option in Mex/Gua.
These are not tourist destinations and are not especially interested in developing mass tourism industry. They are for the adventure and eco tourist. These 3 are among the most diverse with no ethnic group being dominant, meaning a rich blend of culture.

If you wish an all inclusive with the barman bringing a rum punch no. If you want to see authenticity and understand that one is a traveler and not a tourist then maybe.

Btw Mex/Gua are different culturally. Now if you were to ask me I would tell you that I have no interest in their cultural offerings. Just goes to show that "must see" is in the eyes of the beholder. People from the Guyanas are way more vibrant than are Guatemalans, who seem to be quite stoic.

Whether a country is a must see depends on what each individual desires. There is no must see for everyone.

Last edited by caribny; 12-14-2021 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Somehow this got bumped up. I've been there since the OP. It requires more planning than the usual destinations. There are very few direct flights to Parimsribo, and not many more to Georgwtown. And Suriname requires a visa before arrival, and yellow fever card.

Easiest way is to Trinidad, then connect to Georgetown, Guyana' In Georgetown, you'll go to the Surinane consul for a single-entry tourist card, same or next day. The ferry Guy-Sur crosses the river once a day, and a share taxi will get you there on time. Another share taxi to Paramaribo, which is a ratheer dull and boring tow. The Dutch expats there are rather cliquish. Jungle trips can be arranged, there is only Paramaribo and jungle, and a road to Cayenne, French Guyana.

If you go into Fr.-G, you cannot get out unless you go all the way to expensive Cayenne for a few days for a new Suriname tourist card. Or fly non-stop to Paris. However, you can go to the Suriname border town, where you can informally and cheaply hire one of the many outboards going back and forth across the river. The bustling bank on thr other side is in France, and there is a market there with kiosks where you can pay for lunch with euros. Be careful not to attract attention of Surinamese border officials. For $40, I got an all-day taxi from Pbo, including arranging the boat crossing.

From Guyana, you can continue on into Brazil, but not from Surinane. For my money, Guyana is nicer, but less developed, than Suriname.

Tip of the trip: If you changa flights at Trinidad, eat at Al-Haaq, an Arab kiosk across an inviting outdoor mall at the taxi exit.
Not sure where you are traveling from but Guyana is easily accessible from the USA. THREE nonstops DAILY from NYC (due to the large Guyanese population there) and a daily NONSTOP from Miami. Guyana is not accessible from Europe, despite being a former British colony, though Suriname and French Guyana are easily accessible from there. Suriname can also be accessed by around 3-4 weekly flights NONSTOP from Miami.

Travel BETWEEN the Guyanas can be tricky. There are a few flights between G/Twn and P'bo. Nothing between P'bo and Cayenne. The ferry between GY and SUR might not be operating.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Guyanese (all three) will not miss you. They welcome visitors, not tourists wanting to be waited on plantation style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas