Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 PM

439 posts, read 521,499 times

Advertisements

I have been to both and to work in the hotel business, I would recommend the Dominican Republic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
I've been to both. I'm Dominican-American and I'm married to a Colombian woman from Bogota. I like both for very different reasons but in terms of living I'd prefer Colombia. I'm seriously considering retiring there. Colombia offers more options, there is so much variety in that country.

For me what I think it comes down to is that I'm an introvert and I feel like I could slip into my own little corner and do my thing a lot more easily in Colombia vs DR because DR is more tourist centric and is a much smaller country. DR is perfect if you are a beach bum but what I don't like about it is that corruption is much more of an issue, I also feel it could descend more easily into chaos compared to Colombia. Perhaps it's my bias since my parents are Dominican but the political and economic climate there is worrying to me. In any case these are my preferences and everyone should do what their heart and mind points them to.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-20-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
I think that Dominican Republic is poorer than some parts of Colombia but there are also regions in Colombia that are poorer than DR. Colombia isn't really a propper country, it's many countries that just happened to end up lumped together.

I still insist that DR is better for the tourism industry but Colombia is a better all rounder, the country is quite progressive and open-minded. More-so than most of the Americas.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:42 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Medellin is part of the Andes! I wouldn't say it has too much similar with Venezuela, maybe Mérida.

Colombian Andean culture is very different from Peru-Ecuador-Bolivian Andean culture. It has a more european creole slant also the Incas didn't get a chance to settle for long in Colombia because the Pastos drove them out in a series of battles.

Only the southern portion of Colombia has an Andean culture similar to the southern neighbouring countries. Namely the state of Nariño.

Predominant Colombian Andean Culture

Ecuador-Peruvian-Bolivian Andean Culture

Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
The DR was, in recent decades, a relatively violent country, with an homicide rate of around 25 per 100.000 a few years ago (Colombia was close to that number in 2014). Now it's lower, but it's far from being a relatively safe country.
Really? I always had the impression that Dominican Republican was one of the more safer countries in the Carribbean. I mean, nowhwere in the Carribbean is safe. But, it had less safety concerns than say Trinidad, Haiti, Puerto Rica, Jamaica, etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Really? I always had the impression that Dominican Republican was one of the more safer countries in the Carribbean. I mean, nowhwere in the Carribbean is safe. But, it had less safety concerns than say Trinidad, Haiti, Puerto Rica, Jamaica, etc.
Yeah, Caribbean overall is really dangerous but DR has a homicide rate much lower than all the english speaking countries in the Caribbean, and in the entire region I would say only Cuba is safer. Haiti has a low homicide rate too, but it's BY FAR the poorest country in the hemisphere so you cant trust its statistics as much as of the surrounding countries

Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Crime in DR is a little overblown. It's very concentrated in a few of the main cities. Speaking from experience in general I don't consider it a dangerous country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas