Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 04:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
First rule of debating: DONT LIE.

You can easily check that Chile's nominal GDP was 12k six whole years ago. You know this, yet you bend truth in order to "be right".

You should know very well that the GDP controls the exchange rate, not the other way around!!! Can you imagine countries constantly having huge gdp variations throughout the year?! LOL! GDP would be a completely useless measurement!! Remember, GDP controls exchange, not the other way around. Nominal GDP is ALWAYS measured using local currency. The exchange takes place once a year using currency appreciation or depreciation in % against the former year.

If you are going to lecture me in economics, then I suggest you read ahead before making "frivolous" statements.

So Portugal, Chile, CZ, Poland, Hungary, Greece are all playing in the same league while Romania is about 8-10 years behind.
No lies here mate, I clearly pointed to the IMF database as a source.

You're obviously the one uneducated in economics. That's why there is a difference between GDP Nominal and PPP, the latter being measured in local currency & domestic purchasing power, the former on the average annual currency exchange.
All South American major economies have contracted in Nominal terms as these are commodity driven, whereas Portugal hasn't much.

In any case even in PPP, which is what your basing your arguments on, Portugal is still way ahead of Chile and in economic terms Chile is closer to (but better than) Romania than say close or even surpassing the likes of Portugal and Greece as you stated previously. Sorry that fact pains you so but looks like the one lying here is you.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-20-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 05:04 PM

491 posts, read 752,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
No lies here mate, I clearly pointed to the IMF database as a source.

You're obviously the one uneducated in economics. That's why there is a difference between GDP Nominal and PPP, the latter being measured in local currency, the former on the average annual currency exchange.
All South American major economies have contracted in Nominal terms as these are commodity driven, whereas Portugal hasn't much.

In any case even in PPP, which is what your basing your arguments on, Portugal is still way ahead of Chile and in economic terms Chile is closer to Romania than the likes of Portugal and Greece. Sorry that fact pains you so.
COME ON, I said CLEARLY GDP nominal!! It is NEVER calculated in current price, please read my explanation. I haven't used PPP for my post. Only nominal. You tried to calculate nominal GDP by using foreign current currency (not on a yearly basis as it should) and then you have the nerves to call me uneducated in economics??? I'm right, you're calculating it backwards. I beg you to read how GDP is measured then have this discussion.

This is what you wrote to REMIND YOU:
Quote:
Where on earth are you getting your economic data from? You're forgetting the slump in the Chilean currency. At current market rates of the Chilean currency i.e. US$1 = Chilean Pesos $698.
See? You have no idea what you are talking about, now you are contradicting yourself.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
This is what you wrote to REMIND YOU:
See? You have no idea what you are talking about, now you are contradicting yourself.
I admit I took the current rate (as in today) because everything points to no change in 2016, but you're right I should've referred to the 2015 average. However, as things are going Chile will continue to contract in nominal terms for the period of 2016.

So here it is average for 2015:

US$1 = 654.03 Chilean pesos. http://www.x-rates.com/average/?from...nt=1&year=2015
Therefore:

Chile's GDP nominal (2015 average) = US$238.725 billion, per capita = US$13,258.

Still way behind Portugal and Greece, remember this?

Quote:
What really sets Chile apart from the region is precisely it's low-ish poverty. It may not be as developed as the UK but certainly more developed than Portugal and possibly Greece.
Whose the fibber now?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:59 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
You can see places a lot like this in the United States.

There are definitely places like that in the US. I have seen similar poverty on reservations in the Southwest, Detroit and Flint Michigan easily have places like that. At this very moment people in Flint Michigan do not even have safe drinking water, a story that would fit right in if we were talking about a third world nation. There are places in Eastern Kentucky, West Virginia that have that level of poverty. I have seen all these places with my own eyes, and it is the kind of poverty and disorder we associate with third world places. I would argue that most nations have places like this within their borders. The only places you may not find any extreme poverty may be northwestern Europe and Japan. The rest of the world at least has pockets of this kind of extreme poverty.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:41 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Unlike European countries, or even Southeast Asia, Chile does not have the benefit of having centuries of development and infrastructure. So essentially they have to start anew with everything, which makes development that much harder

Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroswed88 View Post
What is wrong with Brazil?

How many changes are they going to throw away? New corruptions scandals, high murder rates, bad education, high inequality, inflation, bureaucracy from hell, high taxes... the list goes on.

The world gives Brazil a unique time to change the country with the World Cup, Olympics and other events.... But whats happens... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Brazil is the same old ****

How could Chile and South korea make it?

What is in the future for Brazil? Where is Brazil in 2050? Developed?

Any one in here living there and have any good news about the economy or any good news about Brazil?

I heard they have updated the car import agreement with Mexico so it's cheaper to import cars to Brazil for some years but I guess it's still going to be expensive to buy a car in Brazil.
Let me say my opinion about Brazil development.

Brazil is in the group of countries who did something well for become developed but ALL THE WORK is not done yet.

For example Portugal Greece and many easterner European countries made a good ‘’makeup’’ in infrastructures, landscaping in the cities and ending with slums, removing people to small apartments built by the government. Also they have copied walferstate from richest European countries helping until 40% of their population with subsidies it helps they don’t look poor for westerner standard of life.

Although they got lot of money in tourism and money from UE they don’t have a strong, industrialized and technologic economy for keep well and improve these social state and create new and well paid jobs. The debt crisis that they lives started because that.

Spain did the same but Spain economy really has more body, is more diverse so their development is more consistent.

Chile makes the same no in walferstate but for infrastructures, landscaping in the cities and reducing a lot their slums, but the problem of Chilean economy is so dependent of cooper mines. They don’t have enough own industries and own technology development and it is the key for understand why Chile has money for good infrastructures but people don’t have tons of well paid engineer’s work as happens in the first world countries. Brazilians or Argentineans don’t move to Chile seeking better wages just because the wages there are not greater.

I think is good what these countries did and is something that lack in Brazil but it is not all and the most important and the most difficult

In the other hand Brazil is ahead of all them in own industrialization and own technology. Brazil has a diverse economy who is able to produce all kind of things, since modern agriculture to a technology stuff, airplanes. Having this know-how inside the country is relatively easy for grow up more and more and has the GDP in the level of developed countries.
Wages in Brazil are not lower than Portugal and Greece and Chile in purchase power compare with euro is another important point. Portugueses yet migrate to Brazil for better wages although the quality of life in Portugal is much better.

Most part of Brazilian don’t have worse standard of life than these 3 countries just the 20% poorest specially compared with Portugal and Greece just because Brazilian economy create many job places (last 15 years)

So I think Brazil did the hardest task for become developed, the task that most countries failed but yes has TONS of problems to solve.

Brazil with ‘’makeup’’ beautiful infrastructure, landscaping in the cities and ending with slums will look much more developed, may be according our economy development. In the last 20 years the country improve a lot reducing inequality and poverty but worse in safety.

Scandals of corruption discovered and investigated with political and important entrepreneurs arrested is a sign of improve in this issue not worse.

But yes Brazil is not as Korea or Japan that ride in straight way for the development and in 30 years got it. I think the world expected it from Brazil because that the frustration.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 AM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Let me say my opinion about Brazil development.

Brazil is in the group of countries who did something well for become developed but ALL THE WORK is not done yet.

For example Portugal Greece and many easterner European countries made a good ‘’makeup’’ in infrastructures, landscaping in the cities and ending with slums, removing people to small apartments built by the government. Also they have copied walferstate from richest European countries helping until 40% of their population with subsidies it helps they don’t look poor for westerner standard of life.

Although they got lot of money in tourism and money from UE they don’t have a strong, industrialized and technologic economy for keep well and improve these social state and create new and well paid jobs. The debt crisis that they lives started because that.

Spain did the same but Spain economy really has more body, is more diverse so their development is more consistent.

Chile makes the same no in walferstate but for infrastructures, landscaping in the cities and reducing a lot their slums, but the problem of Chilean economy is so dependent of cooper mines. They don’t have enough own industries and own technology development and it is the key for understand why Chile has money for good infrastructures but people don’t have tons of well paid engineer’s work as happens in the first world countries. Brazilians or Argentineans don’t move to Chile seeking better wages just because the wages there are not greater.

I think is good what these countries did and is something that lack in Brazil but it is not all and the most important and the most difficult

In the other hand Brazil is ahead of all them in own industrialization and own technology. Brazil has a diverse economy who is able to produce all kind of things, since modern agriculture to a technology stuff, airplanes. Having this know-how inside the country is relatively easy for grow up more and more and has the GDP in the level of developed countries.
Wages in Brazil are not lower than Portugal and Greece and Chile in purchase power compare with euro is another important point. Portugueses yet migrate to Brazil for better wages although the quality of life in Portugal is much better.

Most part of Brazilian don’t have worse standard of life than these 3 countries just the 20% poorest specially compared with Portugal and Greece just because Brazilian economy create many job places (last 15 years)

So I think Brazil did the hardest task for become developed, the task that most countries failed but yes has TONS of problems to solve.

Brazil with ‘’makeup’’ beautiful infrastructure, landscaping in the cities and ending with slums will look much more developed, may be according our economy development. In the last 20 years the country improve a lot reducing inequality and poverty but worse in safety.

Scandals of corruption discovered and investigated with political and important entrepreneurs arrested is a sign of improve in this issue not worse.

But yes Brazil is not as Korea or Japan that ride in straight way for the development and in 30 years got it. I think the world expected it from Brazil because that the frustration.

Hmm just no, no economic immigrant moves from Portugal to Brazil that just isn't true. Don't dream. Minimum wage in Brazil is less than half Portugal plus risking being shot for a pair a shoes that doesn't make it a very attractive place.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:22 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
The economic migrants to Brazil are not looking for minimum wages.

But anyway I also think Evangelistti's view over optimistic, because the democracy, already problematic in a semiliterate society like Brazil is over with the control of the election results by the fake voting machines.
Now brazilian politics dont mind anything about giving good results anymore.
The weak democracy we had for a period is gone, and so is the development.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
The economic migrants to Brazil are not looking for minimum wages.

But anyway I also think Evangelistti's view over optimistic, because the democracy, already problematic in a semiliterate society like Brazil is over with the control of the election results by the fake voting machines.
Now brazilian politics dont mind anything about giving good results anymore.
The weak democracy we had for a period is gone, and so is the development.
Bull**** man. The Workers Party won because they really improve the lives’ poor in Brazil of course helped by the easy money from the exports to China.
Next election will be another history just look what happened in Argentina with Macri. Here will be the same.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Hmm just no, no economic immigrant moves from Portugal to Brazil that just isn't true. Don't dream. Minimum wage in Brazil is less than half Portugal plus risking being shot for a pair a shoes that doesn't make it a very attractive place.
Look that 52,000 in 2011 alone

A avalanche dos novos portugueses no Brasil - PÚBLICO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas