Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,228,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
More like the "Platense" standard....with some local influx.
The ones that come to mind:
"Vos sóis/eres" (intead of the platense 'Vos sós").
"Vos coméis", "Vos habláis", "Vos venís".

Interesting. I did not know that....

I mean when I speak to them on the phone it's always formal usted but I wasn't aware that they used this standard so much. This includes the higher classes as well?

Even so it's similar to voseo but still a bit different

It's

Vos comes
Vos hablas
Vos podes
Vos entendes
Vos queres

not the "ai" sound with the accent....that's a little more like old castillian, but still it's close. I mean, even here informally they use "tu" I've NEVER heard central americans that I've spoken with use this, not even in Argentina.

Very cool and interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:43 PM

626 posts, read 1,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Interesting. I did not know that....

I mean when I speak to them on the phone it's always formal usted but I wasn't aware that they used this standard so much. This includes the higher classes as well?

Even so it's similar to voseo but still a bit different

It's

Vos comes
Vos hablas
Vos podes
Vos entendes
Vos queres

not the "ai" sound with the accent....that's a little more like old castillian, but still it's close. I mean, even here informally they use "tu" I've NEVER heard central americans that I've spoken with use this, not even in Argentina.

Very cool and interesting.
When you speak to them (ecuadorians) on the phone it will always be "Ustéd".
From the olden days, it is said that the voseo is used amongst the working or even lower, indigenous class, and the more formal "ustéd" is for upper class....mind you, this is used in the Sierra (highlands) region, you will not hear it from someone from let's say Guayaquil (a port) or Manta, Machala...all coastal regions.

Bolded part;
Again, in a normal business environment, you will not hear a Central American use voseo, but you will hear it on their everyday speak away from that business circle.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
When you speak to them (ecuadorians) on the phone it will always be "Ustéd".
From the olden days, it is said that the voseo is used amongst the working or even lower, indigenous class, and the more formal "ustéd" is for upper class....mind you, this is used in the Sierra (highlands) region, you will not hear it from someone from let's say Guayaquil (a port) or Manta, Machala...all coastal regions.

Bolded part;
Again, in a normal business environment, you will not hear a Central American use voseo, but you will hear it on their everyday speak away from that business circle.

Well, regarding business and phones, I know that, I'm just saying not even a slip up...interesting as I wasn't aware.

But I'm talking about central americans that I've met here casually, away from business as well. Even then they don't use it I've never heard it, only and always the informal "tu"

Maybe because they don't want to be seen as imitating argentines? I'm not sure...

Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,915,446 times
Quote:
Well, regarding business and phones, I know that, I'm just saying not even a slip up...interesting as I wasn't aware.

But I'm talking about central americans that I've met here casually, away from business as well. Even then they don't use it I've never heard it, only and always the informal "tu"

Maybe because they don't want to be seen as imitating argentines? I'm not sure...
Oh no trust us, central american use "voseo" a LOT between family and friends, maybe not among acquaintances. The usually use the verb conjugated but don't use the pronoun itself(vos).

This guy is hard to understand because he speaks too fast and with a lot of slang but that is basically how their accent sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrbKR16LJII

Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Yes definitely VOS is more commonly used then TU in most of Central America. I think the exception to this would be Panama.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:40 AM

504 posts, read 649,134 times
there are people who make a living out of translating things, they are called translators.

you can even get one online.

get one translator and s/he will be able to translate this for you with no embarassing mistakes.

to realize how badly google translate works (or any other automatic translation tool), just find some correct text in Spanish or French and ask google to translate it into English. You can understand the general meaning of the sentence most of the times, but it is not good English.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Do all people living in the various Central American countries speak the same language?
If it is Spanish we found an English to Spanish text translator using Google. Our words had capital letters but the translation did not have capital letters. If we were going to print the English text in Spanish do we use all non capital letters?

Example:
Come To The Picnic.
venir a la picnic

Do we use capital letters for the Spanish phrase?
The essential problem is with the translator you are using probably, some are pretty primitive and "flatten out" everything to conform to a handful of basic grammar rules; and, thus, a phrase like the one you are using - with its capital letters - is considered incorrect.

I have used several for Portuguese and the results are often bizarre. As far as how the language is actually used in everyday life, it has as much creativity as you would see in English...and, of course, some of it defies grammar rules.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM

626 posts, read 1,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes definitely VOS is more commonly used then TU in most of Central America. I think the exception to this would be Panama.

Agreed.

Speaking from personal experience, as my (ex) brother in-law is from Honduras, schoolmates, soccer teammates, visiting Central América a couple of times, being around them during "reuniones" (gatherings, parties, asados, "picnics" ), etc..I can assure it.

To my ears, Panameños sound a lot like Colombians and Ecuadorians from the coastal regions, maybe just the ones I've heard....had friends and family (cousins) living there...but that's what they sound like to me.

Not sure about "Ticos" (Costa Ricans) .

Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Oh no trust us, central american use "voseo" a LOT between family and friends, maybe not among acquaintances. The usually use the verb conjugated but don't use the pronoun itself(vos).

This guy is hard to understand because he speaks too fast and with a lot of slang but that is basically how their accent sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrbKR16LJII
Hillarious...

Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM

865 posts, read 899,046 times
Quote:
I've heard that when Colombians get angry and start cursing they use "voseo" like Argentines and will say, for example "Vos eres" instead of "Tu eres" or "Vos sos" like Argentines or Uruguayans.
Voseo is used all the time in huge regions of Western Colombia and pretty much all countries of Latin America

Voseo regions of Latin America:

dark blue is written and spoken voseo widely used.
blue, spoken voseo only.
light blue, voseo coexists with tuteo or is not popular.
grey, abscence of voseo.

the areas coloured with light blue-grey stripes may be related to the phenomena you describe (of people using voseo in certain situations only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
This is hardcore grammar and it can be complicated in Spanish, even for Spainish speakers. The 2nd person of Spanish "tu" (you) is the only pronoun that varies per country. Most countries in Latin America use "tu" to speak to the 2nd person "you". Example "you are tall" is "Tu eres alto" "ven" is 2nd person of "tu" in imperative for(You are giving someone an order) Some countries use "usted" and that would be "venga" in imperative form.
It's "tú" tho', with the tilde. It's always important to highlight the difference between tú and tu (as in "el/él", etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas