Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking of spending some time in Costa Rica as a Rentista. I would be telecommuting back to the states for income. I've done some research for awhile and I've seen mixed reviews on the reliability of the internet in Costa Rica (frequent outages). Some outages I can deal with, but if it is a frequent thing my employer might get upset. I've also heard that in different regions the reliability of the internet varies. Does anyone have any experience with the various companies that offer internet service (I know there is the state run one but there are others also) and live in an area where the internet is pretty solid (decent speeds, not so many outages)?

Thank you for you time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Listen to my advice : don't go to CR, the security situation down there is not good. I spent 3 weeks there last spring, and I've witnessed a number of muggings. I was myself pickpocketed in broad daylight in San José, not far from a bus station.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
One of my sons has spent 6 months in CR over the past 3 years doing research. He didn't stay in San Jose beyond flying into the airport, he made his base in Puntarenas. No security issues at all, and he traveled extensively via public transportation.

His base camp had reliable internet, which was critical to his work, during daylight hours. They powered down at night.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
I'm aware that there are some bad areas, and that in some ways they are getting worse. But as Mattie said there are plenty of good areas as well. I don't take you warnings lightly though pigeonhole. I fully expect as a gringo and a foreigner to stick out and be a target at times. I'll do my best to minimize being vulnerable and keeping up good situational awareness. Hopefully that will be enough to avoid most of the pitfalls.

I'm looking for more than a basecamp though I've heard some towns just North of San Jose, Hericha? Seems to have a good e-infrastructure. Looking for more input.

Again thank you for your time.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:59 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Listen to my advice : don't go to CR, the security situation down there is not good. I spent 3 weeks there last spring, and I've witnessed a number of muggings. I was myself pickpocketed in broad daylight in San José, not far from a bus station.
If that's the bus terminal in San Jose that has been a hot spot for pickpockets for years. That place is full of confused tourists struggling with their duffel bags making easy targets. If you find yourself there or any other similar place keep your guard up. The rest of the country is not that bad. Also, leave any fancy watches or jewlry at home in the states. All that will do is draw more attention and perhaps raise the price of certain items.

One thing I love about CR is that you can safely go around on your own!

Now that internet thing? Hopefully they have improved since I last left there in 2011. The internet itself wasn't a problem (at least for what I was using it for), it was the power outages. hopefully they have figured out how to keep the lights on. But it's been 4 years since I was there so who knows what has changed since then.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 PM

549 posts, read 722,044 times
Another vote for the security at and around the bus station, it sucks. It was the same way when I first landed back in 95 or so.

The rest of the country is fine. There are a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

My vote for the best internet would be near Santa Ana. Much of that area has been recently developed and the infrastructure is pretty decent.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
All major cities have issues with pickpockets/muggings. Even the large "safe" cities in Canada. I've been pick pocketed/ mugged in Europe. I doubt anyone would tell someone not to move to Paris.

If you stay on the outskirts of San Jose, especially in the suburban communities you will be fine. Internet is only sketchy in the newer and less populated areas.

Escazu and Santa Ana will be great for you.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Through college, I worked online teaching English to Latin Americans. Many people who worked there were living abroad, some in Costa Rica. Internet was important and many of them didn't seem to have problems.

I can not remember the cities they were in, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to find. However, you will most likely have better luck with internet in South America than Central America..

Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I'm aware that there are some bad areas, and that in some ways they are getting worse. But as Mattie said there are plenty of good areas as well. I don't take you warnings lightly though pigeonhole. I fully expect as a gringo and a foreigner to stick out and be a target at times. I'll do my best to minimize being vulnerable and keeping up good situational awareness. Hopefully that will be enough to avoid most of the pitfalls.

I'm looking for more than a basecamp though I've heard some towns just North of San Jose, Hericha? Seems to have a good e-infrastructure. Looking for more input.

Again thank you for your time.
You'll be fine, as long as you take your proper precautions and don't act foolish. There are ALOT of ultra- paranoid people on this board, and even worst, they like to comment about countries they have never been to.

As for your internet question, I only spent a month in CR but do not remember having any connection problems. This was in internet cafes though..

Hopefully someone who lives in CR can see this post soon and give you the more specified information you need.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
The most reliable is through your cell phone. Google ARCR and read up this on their forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas