Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The best thing about China is that they help developing countries without strings attached, unlike Western nations. If the West doesn't want for China to challenge their hegemony, they truly got two options:

A. Flex their muscles at China

B. Begin to offer no strings attached help

If the West doesn't want to do any of those two options, then it will be forced to look at how China chips away at their global power.
Option B is the big one.

Developing nations have plenty reason to be wary of Western "assistance." Many were former colonies who got screwed under colonial rule, and now that they are independent, they get roped into one-sided, unfavorble "deals" that only benefit the West. They've also proven time and again that they are willing to turn on their former allies as the wind blows.

China has, to this point at least, been a much better partner to a lot of African nations and is looking to bring its influence to Latin America. If the west doesn't like it, then maybe they should try being the friend they make themselves out to be instead of being fairly obvious fairweather friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:27 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
And?

The largest Chinese population outside of China has been in Peru for YEARS.

How do you think the Americas got chickens? They have been here a lot longer than the Panama canal.

Maybe if the USA gave them some ownership over the rail system, it wouldn't be in such a sad shape?

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Well, someone is at least making an investment in these poor countries.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well, someone is at least making an investment in these poor countries.
Isn't it amazing. If it's the Marxist, totalitarian, tyrannical Chinese it's an 'investment'. If it's the US it is exploitation. The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Good for China! The US owns the Panama Canal and charges a hefty toll for passage... the Chinese think they can do it for less (and they can)... Money flows to both Costa Rica and China... a boom for both sides... The US likes to use trade as a weapon... diversity and options are always better... though it will weaken the US... specifically, the liberals... less money for them to waste...
The historical ignorance of the left is once again manifest. Panama has owned the Canal since the grotesquely incompetent Democrat, "but I repeat myself" Carter handed it over to them for nothing.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:52 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
The canal project goes through a couple of nature reserves, but the article didn't mention anyone protesting that. The project may not even be legal, due to violation of the terms of the Biosphere Reserve and the other nature reserve. More info needed.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:53 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
The historical ignorance of the left is once again manifest. Panama has owned the Canal since the grotesquely incompetent Democrat, "but I repeat myself" Carter handed it over to them for nothing.
Yeah, the nerve of that guy, giving them their own land back!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM

549 posts, read 722,327 times
Just wanted to pile on, the US gave back full authority of the canal to Panama.

Chinese people, kind of like Mexicans in North America and Filipinos worldwide are everywhere. Personally I don't have a problem with that. The vast majority of folks who immigrate to new lands have offspring who are locals. Heritage is nice and all but it doesn't supersede the fact that a 16 year old who was born to Mexican parents is as American as my ancestors were (gen 2,3,4...etc).

I can't fathom the challenges of trying to lose 100 million people annually, but I believe that's what's needed if the Chinese government intends to hold onto power.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Isn't it amazing. If it's the Marxist, totalitarian, tyrannical Chinese it's an 'investment'. If it's the US it is exploitation. The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds.
The Chinese investing in Central America is NOT a left/right issue. It is questionable if it is an American issue at all. I see your bias in your derogatory description of the Chinese. What I object is the complete hypocrisy of OUR own people, so quick to demonize most other competitor nations. From that viewpoint, they aren't just a competitor, they are an evil, murdering, despotic cesspool, and we of course are a tranquil, non-corrupt, do-gooder, bliss.

How about just letting individual nations in Central America make their own decisions, based on their own wants/needs, and not ours? We don't have to judge them as 'evil' or Whoever offers them the best deal is obviously who they will choose, as it should be. If our worldwide dominance is ending, it is mostly our own faults.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The Chinese investing in Central America is NOT a left/right issue. It is questionable if it is an American issue at all. I see your bias in your derogatory description of the Chinese. What I object is the complete hypocrisy of OUR own people, so quick to demonize most other competitor nations. From that viewpoint, they aren't just a competitor, they are an evil, murdering, despotic cesspool, and we of course are a tranquil, non-corrupt, do-gooder, bliss.

How about just letting individual nations in Central America make their own decisions, based on their own wants/needs, and not ours? We don't have to judge them as 'evil' or Whoever offers them the best deal is obviously who they will choose, as it should be. If our worldwide dominance is ending, it is mostly our own faults.
Having spent a lot of time in China as well as observing them in other countries I know what I'm talking about. You obviously do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas