Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:46 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the rising power of China and how that affects the established power of the West, this might be interesting...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:51 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Having spent a lot of time in China as well as observing them in other countries I know what I'm talking about. You obviously do not.
NO you do NOT 'know what you are talking about'. You are simply making bigoted statements, and pretending they come from a knowledge no one else could have (Unless they agree with you). So regale the board, and describe how the Chinese doing business in Central America is a 'left/right' issue for us.

Thanks,

Old 07-11-2015, 06:03 PM

439 posts, read 521,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Good for China! The US owns the Panama Canal and charges a hefty toll for passage... the Chinese think they can do it for less (and they can)... Money flows to both Costa Rica and China... a boom for both sides... The US likes to use trade as a weapon... diversity and options are always better... though it will weaken the US... specifically, the liberals... less money for them to waste...
Ignorance at its maximum level.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:13 PM

439 posts, read 521,389 times
Quote:
The historical ignorance of the left is once again manifest. Panama has owned the Canal since the grotesquely incompetent Democrat, "but I repeat myself" Carter handed it over to them for nothing.
I wonder who was the Panamanian that signed the document which gave the US full control of an area of 8 km to each side of the Canal from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

Answer: None

Philippe-Jean Bunau-Varilla a French soldier signed the treaty Hay-Bunau Varilla for Panama, but he wasnt Panamanian nor was he supported by the Panamanian government.

Talk is cheap.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Just wanted to pile on, the US gave back full authority of the canal to Panama.

Chinese people, kind of like Mexicans in North America and Filipinos worldwide are everywhere. Personally I don't have a problem with that. The vast majority of folks who immigrate to new lands have offspring who are locals. Heritage is nice and all but it doesn't supersede the fact that a 16 year old who was born to Mexican parents is as American as my ancestors were (gen 2,3,4...etc).

I can't fathom the challenges of trying to lose 100 million people annually, but I believe that's what's needed if the Chinese government intends to hold onto power.
There are a lot of 3rd and 4th generation Americans of Mexican descent, actually, many of them didn't really migrate anywhere. They just walked across the street or were already there. Lol

Back to the topic on hand, haven't the Chinese already been present in Central America as they have been all over Latin America? I met a Costa Rican of Chinese descent on my way to Costa Rica, and a Panamanian of Chinese descent there. This will probably just increase the Chinese population there.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Option B is the big one.

Developing nations have plenty reason to be wary of Western "assistance." Many were former colonies who got screwed under colonial rule, and now that they are independent, they get roped into one-sided, unfavorble "deals" that only benefit the West. They've also proven time and again that they are willing to turn on their former allies as the wind blows.

China has, to this point at least, been a much better partner to a lot of African nations and is looking to bring its influence to Latin America. If the west doesn't like it, then maybe they should try being the friend they make themselves out to be instead of being fairly obvious fairweather friends.
Also, due to US historical involvement in the region that has never been to the benefit of Central Americans, there is little trust of US involvement in the region. At least in Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, and Guatemala. Especially after the Reagan Administration.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Isn't it amazing. If it's the Marxist, totalitarian, tyrannical Chinese it's an 'investment'. If it's the US it is exploitation. The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds.
Do you know the history of US involvement in Central American countries? It has been abusive and atrocious, at best. That is not an opinion, it is unfortunately a fact.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
They are also all over Africa and any other third world country where they can gain a foothold and start to scoop up natural resources. Empire building is happening on a scale that hasn't been seen since the British dominated the world but the Chinese are a little more subtle about it.

The things is under British colonialism, at least the low paid jobs were available to the locals. When Chinese arrive locals don't get any jobs, other than maybe landscaping. I just don't know why they are being allowed in.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The best thing about China is that they help developing countries without strings attached, unlike Western nations..

I suggest that you visit activities engaged in by Chinese. The either refuse to hire locals, or treat them like semi slaves when they do. They refuse to engage locals in professional or management capacities. they plunder local resources with minimal value added.

They do support dictatorships, like that of Sudan, so I would rather the strings attached of the Western nations. At least those nations have levels of shame in the 21st century, which mitigates the worst aspect of exploitative relationships.

Quick.......why is there a pirate problem in Somalia.......because Chinese and their cousins the Russians, took huge vessels, scooped all the local fish, leaving nothing for the local fishermen, whose only option was piracy!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Option B is the big one.

China has, to this point at least, been a much better partner to a lot of African nations .

1. Supporting dictators.

2. Building huge white elephant projects to cater to the huge egos of dictators.

3. Indebting nations with huge white elephant projects, while refusing to use even the local unskilled labor.

4. Snatching commodities with no value added, and demanding a huge raft of fiscal concessions. This is why Ghana is now tossing them out.

Great going for Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas