Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 PM

439 posts, read 521,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And when tens of thousands of them illegally flock to the USA does it become your business then?
Only when they do, it becomes the US problem, but according to the INS your border are truly secured and most illegal aliens are sent back to their countries. So, I see no reason why you worry about it, on the other hand, if those Chinese ppl come to Central America, I see no point in your comment. It is Central American countries' business, not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Panama is a wealthy country and without the Canal it wouldn't be. Look at Nicaragua as an example. Remember to tell the Americans THANKS!

BTW they invaded Colombia and created Panama. Do you wish to be re-integrated into Colombia.
Panama is a well off country according to US standards, but according to Central American standards, Panama is a wealthy country indeed. Now, the canal has helped us a great deal, no doubt about it, but it is not our only way of making money, as a matter of fact, the canal only represents the 5% of our GDP, so I dont think the canal has done a lot for our economy, remember never put all your eggs in one basket, so we have the Banking Center, the Ports, Colon Free Zone (second largest in the world after Taiwan,) Maritime Activities, Insurance Companies, Tourism, Real Estate, Professional Services, etc,

You cannot compare Nicaragua with Panama, they dont think like we do, nor do they have the business mentality we have. Their education is far behind ours, so the way they are brought up is totally different. You must also remember that only Panama and Costa Rica dont have armed forces in Central America, furthermore, we dont have to waste part of our GDP buying belic power.

America most definetely helped us getting our separation from Colombia and we will always be glad and thankful for it, but took control of the Panama Canal and the Panama Canal Zone for 96 years and it also invaded, destroyed, sacked the city and killed thousands of Panamanians during the invasion back in 1989, but we, by ourselves, rose back from the grave and the ashes as the Phoenix and have rebuilt our country with no help from foreign countries and Panama is what it is now, thanks to the Panamanian people.

Last edited by folicure; 07-14-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Mattks: what versatile said is true, I go into another forum (Spanish speaking forum) and I regularly enter the Nicaraguan room and they have discussed everything he said, too bad you dont speak Spanish otherwise, I would have given you the address for that forum and the Nicaraguan room.
Which part do you mean, he wasn't very clear, just said I was full of BS in both posts.
Did you not see the links I provided, links from both the Taiwanese and Chinese government websites? I'm not completely fluent, but I know a decent amount of Spanish. My grandmother is from Mexico City, not sure why it is assumed I know no Spanish. I have been to El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua many times. The leaders of Nicaragua have made statements as recent as Dec 2014 stating they would maintain a pro Taiwan status and are not moving towards recognition of the People's Republic of China. The company is lead privately from Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands. There are PROC(mainland China) government companies involved in the construction, but that doesn't mean they are in control of anything. I've seen no evidence of this anywhere. If anyone has a link they can give it out.
Countries can maintain a relationship with Hong Kong and not the PROC, Taiwan is completely ok with that as well. You can see their official statement in one of my links provided on my previous post.

The problem with online forums is that a small percentage of people can represent a larger segment, but it's not always correct. If we listened to the Internet forums and chat rooms you'd think Ron Paul would have taken the US by storm in 2008, or go over to the politics forum and it's dominated by right wing conservatives, neither are a good representation of the US and I'd be skeptical of a Nicaraguan forum as well. If the PROC and ROC can both make statements saying the Canal is good, then who am I to say no. The Canal will benefit many countries, and that's why no country opposes it.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Which part do you mean, he wasn't very clear, just said I was full of BS in both posts.
Did you not see the links I provided, links from both the Taiwanese and Chinese government websites? I'm not completely fluent, but I know a decent amount of Spanish. My grandmother is from Mexico City, not sure why it is assumed I know no Spanish. I have been to El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua many times. The leaders of Nicaragua have made statements as recent as Dec 2014 stating they would maintain a pro Taiwan status and are not moving towards recognition of the People's Republic of China. The company is lead privately from Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands. There are PROC(mainland China) government companies involved in the construction, but that doesn't mean they are in control of anything. I've seen no evidence of this anywhere. If anyone has a link they can give it out.
Countries can maintain a relationship with Hong Kong and not the PROC, Taiwan is completely ok with that as well. You can see their official statement in one of my links provided on my previous post.

The problem with online forums is that a small percentage of people can represent a larger segment, but it's not always correct. If we listened to the Internet forums and chat rooms you'd think Ron Paul would have taken the US by storm in 2008, or go over to the politics forum and it's dominated by right wing conservatives, neither are a good representation of the US and I'd be skeptical of a Nicaraguan forum as well. If the PROC and ROC can both make statements saying the Canal is good, then who am I to say no. The Canal will benefit many countries, and that's why no country opposes it.
Ok I just sent you a private message.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
And?

The largest Chinese population outside of China has been in Peru for YEARS.
Do you have a source for that? I'm pretty positive that the largest Chinese population outside of China is in Thailand. If you mean the largest Chinese population outside of Asia, you are still wrong. The US and Canada both have considerably larger Chinese communities.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The Chines will build a huge military base in Nicaragua and then start hwy building to the north. Eventually they will be at our border.
Source?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
This is why Chinese investments are preferred, they don't include these strings attached.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So many angry people in this thread! Tell me what I said that was wrong and I'll give you more links.
Any country that maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan can not have diplomatic relations with mainland China, this is a policy of mainland China. Most central American countries have diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

Just for fun... This North Korean ship got caught smuggling arms through the Panama Canal.
Panama Canal Authority fines detained North Korea ship smuggling Cuban arms | Reuters

El Salvador - Taiwan Relations.
El Salvador vows firm ties with Taiwan - Taipei Times

I can get more links, but I'll just wait to you reply.
Costa Rica ran the Taiwanese off and budded up with China. Chine built them a new sports stadium and used only chines labor. They built a new container port in Limon CR as well and keeping giving them expensive equipment they don't even use.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Source?
The source is me. My opinion. Very possible over some time. Very subtle. Brings in the army and etc on big ships that only they can inspect. The Chinese are very smart people and cunning as well.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 PM

Put this thread in the back of your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas