Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times

Advertisements

I'd say any country but Mexico, since Mexico doesn't aspire to be a Spain 2.0 but it's own thing which it is, makes it unique and and worldwide known for. No need to be or want to be spaniard.
When people says that cities such as Guanajuato, San Miguel or Zacatecas look European, I've always tell them that those cities look and are Mexican with all its good and bad connotations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:58 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Its not even about wanting to be Spanish, there simply are certain realities that are so obvious, that there's no real point in denying them unless a person has some sort of problem with that.

Mexico is perhaps the country with the most Spanish legacy in its urbanism, architecture, etc. It's also probably the country with the most number of cities that were built in the Spanish fashion. Given its history and centuries long ties to Spain, lets not forget that Mexico was called New Spain for centuries and that name was not in vain when it was the destination of most of the Spanish migration to America in colonial times, then it should be a no brainier and a non-issue.

Even modern Mexican architecture has as its predominance the Spanish architectural influence that is very obvious to anyone familiar with Spanish architecture.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
^^^^^
All true and cannot agree more. Mexico is probably the country with the biggest Spanish footprint in the Americas, in most regards not just skin color yet, just like the moors left their mark in Spain; Spain left its mark in Mexico. But in both cases even if the influence was well felt it, it didn't made the countries carbon copies of the formers.
My answer was directed more to the europhilics -here in CD and in real life- that somehow get a kick out of wanting to be/belong to Europe, in this end of the Atlantic.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:59 AM

185 posts, read 258,591 times
I don't think mexico, mexico is very indigenous

CULTURE: yes there is COLONIAL cultural spanish influence in mexico (but spain and mexico have evolved, they're not stuck in 1790's.... modern 21st century spain and mexico are culturally very different from one another.)

ARCHITECTURALLY: Colonial architecture was very common there yes (mexico had silver and plenty of indigenous work force just like Peru to be exploited as resources, unlike other colonies which had little indigenous and most of the work force had to be imported from Africa IE" Colombia, Venezuela... or territories that had nothing but barren land Argentina, Chile)

ETHNICALLY: Argentina, Uruguay, Cuba, Venezuela is where you find substancial numbers of actual spaniard descendants.... actual children of spaniards in spanish communities with spanish culture.

GASTRONOMY: Mexican gastronomy is DELICIOUS, far superior than spanish.... both have almost nothing in common!

mexico never really had any substancial spanish immigration, unlike argentina, uruguay, venezuela and cuba where spaniards migrated in large numbers during the 19th and 20th centuries creating spanish communities and cultural iberian enclaves.....

SUMMARY: Mexico's link to spain is almost purely colonial like it happened in the philipines or peru but after mexico's independence that spanish presence ceased to come and eventually just became part of national mosaic along other cultures.

Mexico's culture is too different and unique with the indigenous as their cultural base on their cooking, popular beliefs, and even heritage.

Last edited by ulta; 08-11-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
It's Argentina, guys, no need to complex discussions about it. We can name Uruguay too, or the Argentina-Uruguay combo, as the latter is not culturally separated from Argentina as a whole -- I mean, many regions of Argentina are more similar to Uruguay than other regions of Argentina. Meh, regionally, I'd say the Rio de La Plata region is the closest to Spain, the area where the cities of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, La Plata, Rosario and Mar del Plata are located.

I disagree. This is particularly easy, as food in Argentina/Uruguay is not spicy at all, and very similar to Spain's and Italy's.
I agree

In Argentina or Uruguay, ad then in Venezuela and Cuba is where you walk around and find ethnic iberian looking people just about everywhere

Mexico might have all the spanish colonial influence in the world, but walk around any city in mexico and those iberian types are pretty much rare, minus in the wealthier classes

Also Argentina has more borrowed spain cultural elements, while mexico is a universe of its own culturally!

Last edited by ulta; 08-11-2015 at 02:27 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 AM

I think some people here put way too much weight on the racial aspects, that they can't see past that. I guess that should be expected in a forum that is frequented mostly by US Americans.

Countries like Argentina and Uruguay have much more Italian influences than Mexico has indigenous. This is very hard to accept for people that give race so much importance, its very hard for them to accept that a country like Mexico actually has more Spanish influences than say Argentina.

I don't even know why some are putting Mexico and Philippines in the same category. The Philippines was hardly settled by Spaniards, except in a handful of places such as Manila. There's no comparison with Mexico. Most Filipinos don't even speak Spanish.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think some people here put way too much weight on the racial aspects, that they can't see past that. I guess that should be expected in a forum that is frequented mostly by US Americans.

Countries like Argentina and Uruguay have much more Italian influences than Mexico has indigenous. This is very hard to accept for people that give race so much importance, its very hard for them to accept that a country like Mexico actually has more Spanish influences than say Argentina.

I don't even know why some are putting Mexico and Philippines in the same category. The Philippines was hardly settled by Spaniards, except in a handful of places such as Manila. There's no comparison with Mexico. Most Filipinos don't even speak Spanish.
that's because the Spaniards didn't teach Spanish to the local population. but up to the 1960s, the landed mestizos still speak Spanish

Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Mexico wasn't exactly thriving with spaniards either

Mexico had a spanish minority ruling a large indigenous majority

the whole myth of the mestizo mexican nation is more of a unifying myth than a reality

Ive met mexicans who call themselves mestizos who in other countries would be considered straight out indigenous people.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
Mexico wasn't exactly thriving with spaniards either

Mexico had a spanish minority ruling a large indigenous majority

the whole myth of the mestizo mexican nation is more of a unifying myth than a reality

Ive met mexicans who call themselves mestizos who in other countries would be considered straight out indigenous people.
I guess you should tell that to the scientists that through DNA analysis are the one's saying that most Mexicans are mestizos.

This is the latest study, but there are others including one that was done a few years ago by the Mexican government in order to develop medicines that would work best in Mexicans, given their mixed heritage.

Unravelling the hidden ancestry of American admixed populations : Nature Communications : Nature Publishing Group

Care to show one genetic study that shows most Mexicans to be indigenous? I'm interested in seeing on what genetic tests you are basing your assumptions.

On the other hand, there is not a single DNA study of Filipinos that shows widespread mixture. Relatively few Filipinos actually have at least a drop of Spanish in them. According to the following genetic study, at most only 3% of Filipinos have any Spanish genes in them. That's a very different result compared to Mexicans, because the vast majority of Mexicans are proving to be actual mestizos.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...6/?tool=pubmed

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-12-2015 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Don't think any of them are. They are all very different from Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas