Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 PM

9,704 posts, read 14,542,579 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in discovering other Latin American rock or pop bands. Never know if I'm missing out on a band that I might like if I knew they exist. lol

This thread might serve the same purpose for others too, so please share the singers/bands you like. Please include the name of the singer/band and the country they are from.

By Latin American lets use the broadest definition, that is rock/pop from Spanish, Portuguese, and French speaking America. Also any bands from countries that don't speak those languages, but the singers/bands sing in any of the three languages are welcome in this thread.

Some of the ones I like are (in no particular order):

Juanes (Colombia)

Mana (Mexico)

Enanitos Verdes (Argentina)

I don't actually like this band, but this song in particular is to my liking.

Negros (Dominican Republic)

Negros (means Black in Spanish) is the 'official' name, but he also sells his music by his proper name of Wason Brazoban.

Bocatabu (Dominican Republic)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:15 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,419,005 times
The Brazilian Pop Rock was very popular in the 80s, I don't know if you left them out because they are old, but there are several good and well-known names from those times.

This site suggests people to know new bands, that are very unknow in he country, that is playing a lot of Sertanejo and Brazilian Funk on the mainstream - and the not so young guys like me are still listening to the old songs exactly like it decribes.

Take a look and tell me what you like from this new unknow generation: 10 novas bandas brasileiras que você não pode deixar de conhecer - Cifra Club News

Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 AM

3,893 posts, read 6,680,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
The Brazilian Pop Rock was very popular in the 80s, I don't know if you left them out because they are old, but there are several good and well-known names from those times.

This site suggests people to know new bands, that are very unknow in he country, that is playing a lot of Sertanejo and Brazilian Funk on the mainstream - and the not so young guys like me are still listening to the old songs exactly like it decribes.

Take a look and tell me what you like from this new unknow generation: 10 novas bandas brasileiras que você não pode deixar de conhecer - Cifra Club News
You're right, most rock bands popular in Brazil are those started in the 80's, like Capital Inicial, Titãs, Biquini Cavadão, Paralamas do Sucesso, Engenheiros do Hawaii, among others.

But don't forget some bands that started in the 90's, and even in the first half of the 2000's also reached some popularity, like Charlie Brown Jr (now extinct, with two former members already dead), O Rappa, Raimundos, CPM 22 and Fresno, for example.

There are many good new bands started in the past 7 or 8 years, but none are really popular. They don't have much space in radio and TV. In fact, rock music has little space in Brazilian radio and TV now, much less than it once had. And the space still available is very rarely occupied by the newest bands. It doesn't mean there are no good new bands, they just don't have much space in the media. The media is now monopolized by "sertanejo universitario" and "funk carioca" (and in the Northeast you can add forró to the list).

Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM

9,704 posts, read 14,542,579 times
I'm not familiar with Brazilian bands, but I will give the ones mentioned here a try.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm not familiar with Brazilian bands, but I will give the ones mentioned here a try.
Biquini Cavadão, Paralamas do Sucesso and Engenheiros do Hawaii have many nice songs.

They are worth to listen.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:35 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,671,992 times
On my trips to Costa Rica, I heard some hard rock on the radio in spanish. Very good. Too bad I dont know the names of them.

There was this particular song that was recorded live at a concert since you can hear the audience. It was a very long song. It went on forever. It had wind instruments too like trumpet, and saxophone in it.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,245,876 times
I've always been interested in Brazilian bands but don't know where to start because no hablo portugues

Here are some groups that I like

Mexico:
Cafe Tacuba: Eres
Cafe Tacuba: La chica banda
El Tri: Triste Cancion de Amor

Argentina:
Soda Estereo: Musica Ligera
Gustavo Cerati: Paseo Inmoral

Uruguay:
Sante Les Amis: Brasil
Campo: Cumbio
Campo: 1987

Colombia:
Kraken: Azul

Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Argentina:
Soda Estereo: Musica Ligera
Soda Estereo is good.

Brazilian band "Capital Inicial" copied that song ("Musica Ligera") with another name and similar lyrics, but few people in Brazil knows it's a copy, hehe... The Brazilian version is "À Sua Maneira"

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,656,781 times
:P... Great threat !!!

Love discovering new groups... (some of these groups may not fit the rock or pop bands description exactly.. but there amazing so I will try to get them squeezed in :P).

Calle 13 (Puerto Rico) ... too good to be classified in any one category

Systema Solar (Colombia)

Lisa Leblanc (Canada, French Acadian Singer)

Shakira (Colombia)... yeah I know pretty much a household name, but just in case you someone does not already know her

Carlos Vives (Colombia)

Hope this thread gets lost of responses because I am looking forward to discovering some new music to put on my iphone !

Old 10-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Soda Estereo is good.

Brazilian band "Capital Inicial" copied that song ("Musica Ligera") with another name and similar lyrics, but few people in Brazil knows it's a copy, hehe... The Brazilian version is "À Sua Maneira"

To illustrate that, here are both songs:

Same song, different name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas