Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM

299 posts, read 314,412 times

Advertisements

yes or no? Btw, I'm an experienced traveler, I have traveled alone in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mexico, Brazil and Morocco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:28 PM

4,095 posts, read 3,678,398 times
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of solo female travellers that I know have not only travelled to Bogota but all over Colombia.

Strikes me that as an experienced traveller you don't know this. As of 2014 Brazil has 18 cities in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world outside of war zones and countries that don't publish these figures. Mexico has 10 in that list, the USA has 4 and Colombia has 4. And this year Medellin looks to be out of that list as there's been a dramatic fall in violent crime in 2015.

Latin America Dominates List of World's Most Violent Cities

Old 10-30-2015, 08:38 AM

299 posts, read 314,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of solo female travellers that I know have not only travelled to Bogota but all over Colombia.

Strikes me that as an experienced traveller you don't know this. As of 2014 Brazil has 18 cities in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world outside of war zones and countries that don't publish these figures. Mexico has 10 in that list, the USA has 4 and Colombia has 4. And this year Medellin looks to be out of that list as there's been a dramatic fall in violent crime in 2015.

Latin America Dominates List of World's Most Violent Cities

Thanks, I dont know this because I have never looked into traveling to Colombia before.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,928,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
yes or no? Btw, I'm an experienced traveler, I have traveled alone in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Mexico, Brazil and Morocco.
It can be dangerous. Colombia is not even easy for those of us who grew up there. I probably wouldn't recommend to a single woman but I'm sure some people do just fine like you did in Brazil. Part of it is luck, part of it is being extremely cautious and following the travel warnings.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:30 PM

4,095 posts, read 3,678,398 times
Sugah Ray you obviously left Colombia during a very violent time or experienced second hand the atrocities that were being committed, and admitedly still being committed, but not on the tourist trail, even the off-the-beaten-path tourist trail. I can tell you that I help a lot of people with their itineraries to Colombia informally and I've helped from somewhat diva, prima donna-ish characters to young families with babies and single old ladies that are some-times not all there in the head. And each and every one of them, (I've helped about 60-80 people in all) have had a marvellous time without a hitch. Obviously this doesn't mean you shouldn't use common street smarts, you're still in Latin America after all.

One thing that commonly comes up in the traveller community clued up on Colombia is don't pay too much attention to the ex-pats that left during the rough times, especially in Canada and the US. It's quite common knowledge among bloggers and advisers on TripAdvisor, ThornTree, etc. and comes up quite frequently.

A country that's grown in foreign visitor numbers over 500% in 10 years is doing something right. 2.4 million foreign travellers a year many of whom will be solo females, can't be wrong. The fact that the European low-cost giant RyanAir is operating in Colombia under their VivaColombia brand and has expanded rapidly in only 3 years is yet more proof. Go there before it becomes over-run!

Old 10-31-2015, 06:42 PM

6,281 posts, read 4,789,775 times
Bogota can be dangerous for anyone. If you speak fluent Spanish it helps. My wife is from there and we never had a problem but she grew up there and knows what precautions to take. Bogota has actually gotten more dangerous lately. The new mayor says he will fix it. I could go on for pages but its no more dangerous than Mexico or Brazil. You need to do more research before embarking on your journey. I have been to Bogota at least 12 times and spent at least 2 months a year there for the past 5 years. My brother in law was held up at knife point on the Metro. To answer your question you can go but be very careful and if you don't speak fluent Spanish it can be problematic.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 PM

471 posts, read 617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanAnna View Post
You will get kidnapped.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,928,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Sugah Ray you obviously left Colombia during a very violent time or experienced second hand the atrocities that were being committed, and admitedly still being committed, but not on the tourist trail, even the off-the-beaten-path tourist trail. I can tell you that I help a lot of people with their itineraries to Colombia informally and I've helped from somewhat diva, prima donna-ish characters to young families with babies and single old ladies that are some-times not all there in the head. And each and every one of them, (I've helped about 60-80 people in all) have had a marvellous time without a hitch. Obviously this doesn't mean you shouldn't use common street smarts, you're still in Latin America after all.

One thing that commonly comes up in the traveller community clued up on Colombia is don't pay too much attention to the ex-pats that left during the rough times, especially in Canada and the US. It's quite common knowledge among bloggers and advisers on TripAdvisor, ThornTree, etc. and comes up quite frequently.

A country that's grown in foreign visitor numbers over 500% in 10 years is doing something right. 2.4 million foreign travellers a year many of whom will be solo females, can't be wrong. The fact that the European low-cost giant RyanAir is operating in Colombia under their VivaColombia brand and has expanded rapidly in only 3 years is yet more proof. Go there before it becomes over-run!
I don't live there but I visit quite often. My father and my sisters live there. I'm familiar with what goes on there.

My father and sisters have been robbed several times. Some friends have been hurt during robberies. I know a girl who works in a mall in "El Poblado" and was drugged with scopolamine while going to the restroom. She was woke up in "el Centro"(Downtown), she was raped whole she was drugged by some unknown teenagers.

That's life there. It is what it is.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,679,522 times
Also was considering going to Columbia (but posted my question in the travel forum). I was thinking of Cartagena. EuropeanAnna why Bogota vs Cartagena? Is there more or better stuff to do or see in Bogota. I was thinking Cartagena because I want beach time too. I know these places are not that far a part, but would safety concerns be similar or worse in one of the 2 places?

Old 11-07-2015, 01:25 AM

321 posts, read 329,417 times
You're going to love it. Just take regular travel precautions and wander off the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas