Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,780,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm a man from Puerto Rico so we don't really have these type of guys hanging around PR since we're also US citizens. Sometimes many of these men come to other Latin American countries to take advantage of economic disparity and cultural differences. It is indeed a fantasy because Latin American women are much stronger and feminist than what they are portrayed as or thought of as.

If there are Latin American women who seek out white men from US and Canada as partners, I would say he stereotype would be that white/Anglo men aren't the macho type and won't cheat on the women or beat them. Machismo is pretty prevalent in Latin America still, but not as much as decades ago. I don't think our women have that stereotype that they are subservient, obedient, willing housewives, nowhere as much as Asians do (also a false narrative as Asian women are very cunning), but our women are still stereotyped as big bootied exotic beauties who are fiesty in bed and know how to fry a banana. All I can say is, men who believe in fantasies about foreign women, ESPECIALLY Latin American and Asian women, means more the man is socially deficient in some way. Women are all the same at a base level. Every country as their bad apples, feminists, Stepford Wives types, etc. The problem with North American men is that they've been burned in the past and are looking to escape, so they build these fantasies around our women that are not true, period. If American men say there are no quality women in the US, well open your eyes up and stop acting traumatized. There's lots of quality women in the US and Canada EVERYWHERE. The problem is the GUY, not the woman, IMO
Very well put.

Nothing scarier than a femenist, strong willed Latin American woman. (my mother)

Last edited by rosa surf; 05-03-2016 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,879,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Very well put.

Nothing scarier than a femenist, strong willed Latin American woman. (my mother)
My mom was the same too. If I got in trouble, say hello to the chancleta

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My mom was the same too. If I got in trouble, say hello to the chancleta
Yes, I knew that pretty well.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,298,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
On a side note I wonder if they are really in a rush to get married and have a family or just think that is the only way to get out of their parents house. I think when I was around that age I thought that getting married was the only way to be an adult. I needed to find a husband so I could move out. Then I realized wait a minute .... I could just go away for school or leave the country for a few months to work and my family could not have me under their thumb then ! I think girls that age need to realize at least in Canada and the USA in major cities now prince charming might not be coming and if he does he might need about around a decade to get himself together before he is ready to get married. He might still be under the evil enchanted spell of immaturity ! If you think I am exagerating when Disney starts to give up on the female princess/ character waiting for a prince to come save her you know the situation is the real deal lol !
She could be waiting for a princess instead of a prince you never know

When people are young I think everyone wants to get out of their parents house one way or another! I just hope that girls don't rush into marriages just for that lone purpose, better to wait on meeting the right guy!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,298,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Latin America is the 3rd world. The majority of women who are marrying men from the US and Canada are not coming from the more highly educated, upper classes of Latin America; these women are from the lower classes and from rural areas and have fewer options/access to higher quality lives. These women are not getting married at near 30 because they do not have access to higher paying jobs and higher education that would allow them to be more selective and delay marriage.

It makes sense for young women from poor Latin American countries to marry older and more financially stable men from 1st world countries. Why would they not seek better lives? These women are then able to financially help their families back in their home countries and often use the finances from the marriage to get there family members to the US or Canada.
It's really not tho. The rural areas yes, but a large portion of the population in Latin America lives in the cities, which have just as much services and are just as advanced as anything you have in the United States. It's not the 80s anymore you know

Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,495,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's really not tho. The rural areas yes, but a large portion of the population in Latin America lives in the cities, which have just as much services and are just as advanced as anything you have in the United States. It's not the 80s anymore you know

Latin America is considered the 3rd World in 2016.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
[URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiu4vuk5r_MAhUKRSYKHfJIDTIQjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationsonline.org%2Foneworl d%2Fthird_world_countries.htm&psig=AFQjCNEKUNMzO6k QeqHP73UBilVZ-r4BeQ&ust=1462429931035410"][/URL]

What he means is- there are different types of life experiences in Latin America. There is city life vs rural life, etc...not all people have the same mentality or worldviews. So when people say 'Latin American women' that is a very generic statement.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,495,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
What he means is- there are different types of life experiences in Latin America. There is city life vs rural life, etc...not all people have the same mentality or worldviews. So when people say 'Latin American women' that is a very generic statement.
I understand and agree but I think that it is well known that American and Canadian men do not go to Latin America (or Asia, etc.) and seek wives from the middle and upper classes. They certainly do not seek wives from amongst the educated or elite in those countries. These men tend to seek out pretty yet economically disadvantaged women who would have something to gain by leaving their countries for a better/different life.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,701,703 times
Default So true!!!!

Quote:
I understand and agree but I think that it is well known that American and Canadian men do not go to Latin America (or Asia, etc.) and seek wives from the middle and upper classes. They certainly do not seek wives from amongst the educated or elite in those countries. These men tend to seek out pretty yet economically disadvantaged women who would have something to gain by leaving their countries for a better/different life.
I agree. This is likely because the educated or middle or higher class women are likely more similar to the average Canadian or American woman.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM

72,886 posts, read 62,393,397 times
Quote:
Show me the source of that map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas