Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 3 cities do you feel has the strongest presence of Asians?
Los Angeles 21 53.85%
New York City 5 12.82%
Toronto 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times

Advertisements

The problem with this question is that it's asking users for their "feelings" about a question that is quantifiable and can be answered using straight census data. Why does it matter how anyone feels? The fact is that LA and NY have roughly similar proportions of East Asians (7-9%), and Toronto has about twice as many as either city proportionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 01:04 AM

47 posts, read 62,281 times
Los Angeles wins!

What people forget here is that it is not numbers or large areas filled with Chinese what makes one place Asian influenced.

It's the DIVERSITY of Asians that matters!

NYC is full of Chinese and to a lesser degree South Koreans.

LA has Chinese and South Koreans, but also huge numbers of Japanese, Laotian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Thai.

It's the same thing with Latinos...

people say LA is very latino but it is not. LA is very MEXICAN!

You will be lucky to find a South American or a Caribbean person in LA, I lived four years there and never met one!

The vast majority of people who will speak spanish to you in LA are almost exclusively Mexican!

On the other hand in NYC you have Colombians, Peruvians, Argentines, Brazilians, Venezuelans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Chileans, Panamanians, Paraguayans, Central Americans.

NYC far more Latino than LA, while LA is more Mexican.
The same happens with regards to Asians. LA is more Asian, while NYC is more Chinese!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The problem with this question is that it's asking users for their "feelings" about a question that is quantifiable and can be answered using straight census data. Why does it matter how anyone feels? The fact is that LA and NY have roughly similar proportions of East Asians (7-9%), and Toronto has about twice as many as either city proportionally.
Yes, I never understand these types of threads.

We already have data that answers the question, but we are asked how people "feel". Huh?

Subjective impressions are no substitute for data. The data shows that all three cities/metros have very large Asian populations. NYC has the largest population numerically, and Toronto has the largest population %. LA also has very large numeric and % populations.

Also should include the Bay Area and Vancouver in the mix, which have even higher % than these three cities.

NYC metro probably has the highest raw population numbers of Asians anywhere in the world outside of Asia. I suspect Bay Area or Vancouver are the highest % population of Asians anywhere in the world outside of Asia (excluding some smaller population centers like Honolulu).

Old 05-30-2016, 01:25 AM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
I would say L.A. but Vancouver is by far the most Chinese city in the world outside of China.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:48 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I think LA has one of the most diverse Asian populations (Chinese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, etc) I've ever seen, while New York has a lot of Chinese, Korean and Indian. Toronto is dominated by Chinese.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:50 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think LA has one of the most diverse Asian populations (Chinese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, etc) I've ever seen, while New York has a lot of Chinese, Korean and Indian. Toronto is dominated by Chinese.
There are a lot of Chinese in Toronto, but the is also a lot of South Asians. Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans. I think South Asians dominate a bit more.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:54 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
If you count all of Asia ...... Toronto hands down.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
If you count all of Asia ...... Toronto hands down.
Not really. Toronto is very chinese and south asian. If we count all of Asia, LA takes it.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Asians...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Not really. Toronto is very chinese and south asian. If we count all of Asia, LA takes it.
Then again to make things more complex ... there are many people in Toronto (and I am sure other places) that look Asian, but are actually from other places ex Trinidad and Guyana have large percentages of people that look Asian, but are from the Americas.

I always get confused about what countries we are really talking about when people say Asia. Anytime I talk to people from Russia, Turkey or Iran they don't really consider themselves as Asian. Are talking are literal Asia or some other cross section.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:42 PM

I have actually met several Chinese Trinidadians and Guayanese. I have also met several Chinese latinos. There was a restaurant on Queen street in parkdale called the Golden Phoenix, the owner was a Chinese Colombian. It was mainly a Chinese restaurant but they had Colombian dishes as well. I used to walk by every day and noticed they had a sign in the window "se habla espanol". I eventually went in and there was a bunch of South Americans in there watching a soccer game, lol. I was surprised because from the outside it looked like any other Chinese establishemet. The food was inexpensive and it was pretty good. I don't know if it is still open, if so you should check it out.

There is also a Chinese Guatemalan restaurant in MTL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas