Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:42 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times

Advertisements

Like I posted pages ago, in Brazil most people are identified by the state they're born.
(Well, oficially carioca refers to the city of Rio and not the state, but the gentile of the state - fluminense - is not used in real life, it's more used as a soccer team. So I'm a carioca)

Most of brazilians have varied ancestries. I personaly have german, portuguese, swiss and italian. We have big ethnic parties for the italian and german traditions in Petropolis, but everybody takes part.

About religion, Brazil used to be a predominantly Catholic until decades ago. Nowadays it's also very varied. We use to know people from lots of differents religions. Mixing religions is also not uncommom in Brazil. We see people that absorb faith demonstrations of different religions, and also people that change churches from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default Interesting .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparian View Post
Nothing, I identify as who I am internally.

Social labels don't really fit me, this is why I cannot live in the USA where people are obsessed with labeling everyone by race, gender, culture, religion, political views etc.

I prefer to be looked at as an individual person with pros and cons, not as a member of a social subgroup. Just Because I come from X origin does not mean I have an affinity with everyone from that origin, nor it means I see them as part of who I am.

Some of my best friends come from cultures and places very distant and different from where I come from, and it is our inner personalities what bring us together. Not nationalities, or American made identities like Latino/Hispanic.

In my opinion I think the people in the USA and Canada that are most race and nationality obesses are immigrants and their off spring. In my city I find people (including anyone I have ever met from Latin America) to be like this.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
I self-identify as CEARENSE.

Cearense is someone from the state of Ceará, in Brazil.

That's my identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas