U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM

590 posts, read 396,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I believe only a tiny part of the Caribbean coast was affected, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, and the Guajira peninsula. I dont think the amount of people here could overturn the decision
Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Cartagena and the surrounding areas make up for like 5 million people. If just 200.000 people more would have voted in the Caribbean coast, "Yes" would have won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Not going to happen.
It probably will. Everyone is asking for it, the people, the international community, Farc, all political parties... Uribe has accepted to meet Santos tomorrow.

btw Uribe doesn't represent all the people who voted No. Not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Four main reasons:

1. Although the objectives of the accord were noble, it doesn't need a negotiation with narco-trafficking kidnappers and extortionists for it to be put in place. The objectives can be done by the government alone without the FARC, the FARC are one of the obstacles to the government realizing these objectives (although corruption and a lack of conviction within the government itself plays a hand also).
what? the purpose of negotiating was, primarily, to end violence involving Farc. the defense military budget of the country is twice as much the healthcare system budget; pr 100 times that much of what is destined to science & research by the Government... the war in Colombia is very expensive. This war as at a dead end point. It was necessary to negotiate something. The people in the areas of influence of Farc overwhemingly voted "Yes". The Farc problem goes way beyond terrorism or drug trafficking. Most Farc members were recruited by force being kids, or didn't have much choice, because the economy in these regions revolves around coca crops.

Quote:
2. The fact that sentences were dramatically reduced to practically nothing upon a confession of the atrocities committed by assailants on both sides. This would've been a circus show and little justice would have been served.
the justice approach of the agreement was not just punitive but reparative, which is in consonance to the essence of Colombia's law. The sentences were destined to make Farc repair the damage they caused, helping with the landmining issue, helping with the erradication of crops of illicit use (coca), and so on. And they were gonna be confined in these areas.

Quote:
3. Anyone who confesses or has evidence against them in committing atrocities should be barred from public office forever.
I guess I agree.

Quote:
4. It will bring more corruption into government rather than reduce it as the FARC will never set aside the millions of dollars they earn in drug trafficking. Watch Ross Kemp's Extreme world: Colombia (televised on British TV this weekend gone) filmed in the worst affected city of Buenaventura thanks to joint FARC and Paramilitary drug cartels. The ideology the FARC promote is a joke, its just a smokescreen.
ok, there wasn't a clear commitment from Farc to give up these illegal earnings (and not even that was clear because, one or two days before Plebiscito, Farc were commited to give up a farm in the Caquetá department). But the agreement didn't weakened in any way the mechanisms by which the illegal money from illicit bussiness is tracked down. The government would still go after that illegal money, and I would say, it would be easier to punish any Farc member for that cause having them demobilized in the cities, than having them hiding in the jungle.

Quote:
5. I don't agree with just giving away seats in the senate. These should be voted for, however, I can understand that this is sometimes a given in any peace process but I still don't like it - especially if its permanent seats which was never really clear to me whether they could be voted out.
permanent? these seats would be given for just 2 periods (8 years) and they wouldn't have the right to vote any project.

also, 10 seats is nothing. The Senate has over 100 seats; the House of Representatives, over 200.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
Irene, come and explain this thing?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM

6,547 posts, read 4,687,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Irene, cum and explain this thing?
Nice

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Nice

Old 10-08-2016, 12:27 PM

4,292 posts, read 3,944,123 times
Irene is actually Alvaro Uribe. He likes to troll the forum on his days off.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:10 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,554,122 times
You are secretly fond of her Ariete, admit it!

You would make a good match- she can add tropical exoticness to your gloomy, boring Nordic existence.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You are secretly fond of her Ariete, admit it!

You would make a good match- she can add tropical exoticness to your gloomy, boring Nordic existence.
I am, and I've already admitted it!

Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 AM

181 posts, read 134,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Landmark peace deal with Farc rebels rejected in shock referendum result

Voters in Colombia have rejected a landmark peace deal with Farc rebels in a shock referendum result, with 50.2% voting against it.
The deal was signed last week by President Juan Manuel Santos and Farc leader Timoleon Jimenez after nearly four years of negotiations.
But it needed to be ratified by Colombians in order to come into force.
Addressing the nation, President Santos said he accepted the result but would continue working to achieve peace.

Source: Colombia referendum: Voters reject Farc peace deal - BBC News
At least Colombia is a legitimate Democratic country, I can truly admire the nature of their voting.Colombia has been splintered a long time and there are really two states of governmental administration.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:25 AM

"there are really two states of governmental administration."

what do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or