Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Thank you for this. I am ok with a small portion of land. Something around 5 acres or less. I am trying to work my head around the no credit issue. I highly doubt I will be able to buy anything outright cash with a house on it. I doubt the land is that cheap. Although, it would be neat to find a local realtor site where I could actually price land. I don't mind a short commute.

I know of 5 acres in SE Utah with horse facilities with owner-financing. Half hour commute to a trendy tourist town that accepts everyone, hippies, hitch-hikers, all colors, what-have-you. A hospital with an MRI. Outstanding world-class scenery and the CO river a few minutes away.

We live in Ecuador, so I was interested in your thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If she gets hired before moving there, her salary will be much higher and will be quoted in US dollars. Regardless what happens with the exchange rate, she will be ahead of the curb.

Don't underestimate the value and prestige that a degree from a good US university has in many of these countries. Many do pay premium salaries to people in such positions.

Having a bachelor's degree is the equivalent of a licenciatura degree in many Latin American countries. Such people get the title of licenciado. Quite often, if a person includes their title in their name, especially in written form, she will get treated with greater respect and in many cases will be given privileges. Say her name is Sandra Smith, if she gets into the habit of writing Lic. Sandra Smith, it will put her at a higher social level and she will be treated accordingly even before they meet in person. Higher degrees carry even greater prestige.

Educational titles have a greater level of privileges in many Latin American countries than in the USA. People without these titles will have a great level of respect with you and you will feel it. Some people come through as very subservient, going as far as always speaking to you in the most formal type of Spanish.
The below is taken from the OP.

"I am a Black Female looking to possibly relocate from Arkansas, U.S. to a Latin American country. I work in the medical field and when I finish school for MRI tech I want to relocate not long after. Me and my significant other will be moving together. I would like to be able to buy land (inexpensive) and have a small farm but be close enough to the city to work."

For MRI tech you get an associates or certificate. You don't go to a good program at a well known university for this.

She is not even going to get an offer before she moves. They vet you're credentials during the application process, if you're seeking visa sponsorship. She'd need at least a bachelors and possibly a masters go out for the kinds of jobs where they would sponsor her.

And I don't think she has the money to buy a house anywhere in Latin America and live there for awhile before she figures something out. Buying property and investing is another way of getting long term legal status in Latin America.

None of this means she can't move, but it does mean she needs a better plan. She'd be better off getting an online job in the states. Something that pays 40-50k. That money would go over very well in Latin America, and she'd be able to save up and buy a home. For the visa she could take Spanish classes at an university initially. And when it's time to get a longer term visa buy property there.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM

The OP's original plan of moving to Latin America to buy a small farm makes no sense, as constructed. (and she can't afford to do it anyway or else she wouldn't be here asking questions). As mentioned, as a foreigner she should rent a place in a city for awhile. When she gets established and when she gets to know people, THEN she can worry about buying property outside the city.

Having seen traffic in Latin American cities, not sure if the OP wants to get caught in traffic for hours while commuting.

And I noticed when others good very technical about certain aspects of Latin America, she fled. She wasn't serious about going anyway, and suffered from information overload.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:36 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
I strongly recommend Colombia.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 AM

178 posts, read 184,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If she's in Argentina or Chile, people will downright just be staring at her and call her " negra" to her face.
I live in Argentina and that is not true

Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
. Unfortunately the glamourisation of gangster rap culture

Most of the English speaking Caribbean has had high literacy rates for quite a while now. This is only recently the case in much of Latin America. I don't see much different between the 89% literacy rates of Guyana and Jamaica and the 92% rate for the DR. Given that these rates are only estimates, and that most statistics allow for a +/- error of around 2% these are statistically the same.

Had you checked the rates in 1980 you would have seen that most of the English speaking Caribbean would have already attained 90%+ rates. Brazil was no where near that at the time.

I can tell a man who learns about blacks through watching MTV, BET and VH-1, all owned by Viacom. Do you really think that middle aged blacks "glamorize" gangsta culture? It is pushed because the music industry wishes to promote that aspect of black culture. I suggest that you chat with those who control the major media enterprises about that.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And there's the exchange rate issue. One US dollar equals like 3,100 Colombian pesos.

).

Which is why those who use the comments of a highly educated black American to gauge what life in a particular country is for blacks greatly mislead. The man arrived with heavy purchasing power and highly valuable skills and a US style entrepreneurial tradition. Even in South Africa under apartheid he would be doing OK>

Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
You are blessed to be from a much culturally diverse region of the US. But the south is a diff story. I'm not saying by any means that even the majority of white people will treat you rudely but there is an imaginary line they most don't cross.

What I am saying is that it is wrong to use as a gauge one of the poorest and closed minded parts of the USA to describe the rest of the country. I have no doubt what you say about much of the South is true, which is why, aside from certain metro centers like ATL many from outside of the South have a bad mage of that region.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
that would be impossible. USA has 30 million African Americans. Brazil must have at least 50 million Afro-Brazilians, which is more than the total Colombian population.

Ancestral DNA has nothing to do with this discussion. Race is a social construct so clearly differs from place to place. Alicia Keyes is a "black" woman in the USA, a "brown" (mulato) woman in the non Hispanic Caribbean, and with some money and social status, might even be seen as a "white" woman in some Latin countries.

The question is two fold. One will be who is "black" in these countries. The second being how will people who are defined as black be treated. And of course education and assumed socio economic status will always be a mitigating factor in societies where "blackness" is despised, that being just about every where outside of the non Hispanic Caribbean.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Which is why those who use the comments of a highly educated black American to gauge what life in a particular country is for blacks greatly mislead. The man arrived with heavy purchasing power and highly valuable skills and a US style entrepreneurial tradition. Even in South Africa under apartheid he would be doing OK>
This is true regardless of race. One can find a number of expatriates doing well in Latin America from the United States (or other parts of the world). They tend to be highly educated, and they arrive with a lot of purchasing power. The OP is going out for an associates degree, and let's just say won't have the same experience as this man and his wife.

I'm sure the man isn't aiming his videos and consulting at poor people either. It's aiming at professionals like him, regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas