Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,151,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The OP never said she was looking to move to the Blackest place possible, and I think its very racist to assume that she would want to do so. Would you tell an Anglo Saxon white person to go to Britain, Australi, or New Zealand?

Re: the English Caribbean, it's up to her but I cannot imagine why an American would want to spend a lot of time in the English Caribbean. She already speaks English, so do they.

I think a factor in her wanting to go to Latin America was to learn Spanish, and some jobs do require bilingualism. Better to go to places where she would learn another language. Spanish is more spoken than Portuguese, so her original plan of going to a Spanish speaking country.
That assumption seemed strange to me as well. The OP’s concern seemed to be reception by the local population, among other concerns. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he would recommend Britain, Australia etc. for an Anglo Saxon white person. His focus tends to be more racial in general.

The English-speaking Caribbean has nothing to do with this discussion as the OP expressed the desire to go to a Latin American nation. However, your comment is close-minded as there are numerous reasons why an American would want to spend lots of time in the English-speaking Caribbean. Some people come to the English-speaking Caribbean for their education. For example, the medical schools in Grenada and St. Maarten. Some simply come for the weather, pace and culture and it’s a plus to them that these places speak English.

Furthermore, some nations in the English-speaking Caribbean are actually bilingual nations, such as St. Lucia, Dominica and St. Maarten. So people can learn another language and speak English. In a place like Trinidad, it’s not uncommon for someone to go for employment, particularly in the entertainment sector. The culture is also unique and people come down to experience it.

But the OP wants a Latin American nation that is Spanish-speaking. Why people feel the need to discuss the English-speaking Caribbean or Brazil is strange...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop58 View Post
No to Argentina, CR and Mexico are good choices. Panama, belize, Trinidad and Tobago, Bahamas as well. Trinidad and Bahamas may cost you more Mexico has millions of blacks, affordable and you can get back to see family easily. Costa Rica and Panama are currently booming, good number of mestizos, blacks, American expats
Trinidad & Tobago is English-speaking, as is the Bahamas. Belize is also English-speaking but has a large Spanish-speaking population.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,904,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That assumption seemed strange to me as well. The OP’s concern seemed to be reception by the local population, among other concerns. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he would recommend Britain, Australia etc. for an Anglo Saxon white person. His focus tends to be more racial in general.

The English-speaking Caribbean has nothing to do with this discussion as the OP expressed the desire to go to a Latin American nation. However, your comment is close-minded as there are numerous reasons why an American would want to spend lots of time in the English-speaking Caribbean. Some people come to the English-speaking Caribbean for their education. For example, the medical schools in Grenada and St. Maarten. Some simply come for the weather, pace and culture and it’s a plus to them that these places speak English.

Furthermore, some nations in the English-speaking Caribbean are actually bilingual nations, such as St. Lucia, Dominica and St. Maarten. So people can learn another language and speak English. In a place like Trinidad, it’s not uncommon for someone to go for employment, particularly in the entertainment sector. The culture is also unique and people come down to experience it.

But the OP wants a Latin American nation that is Spanish-speaking. Why people feel the need to discuss the English-speaking Caribbean or Brazil is strange...
My apologies if my comments about the Anglo Caribbean seemed insensitive.

But as noted, the OP is interested in going to a Spanish speaking nation.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Dominican Republic is a good choice for black people.
I'm black, and I live in Spain. I like Spain much better than the Dominican Republic. And I found out that anyone with a Sephardic Jewish last name can get Spanish or Portuguese citizenship, and I'm part Sephardic.

Lots of you are making ignorant assumptions based on somewhat erroneous beliefs.

European nations give nationality based on nationality and blood, not by race. If the OP has at least one Sephardic Jewish ancestor in her true, she can get Spanish or Portuguese citzenship.

Black people are not limited to the DR or Brazil, and by the way lots of Africans and Dominicans immigrate to Spain (lots of people around the world actually).

Also, what I'm going to say may sound bad, but I'll say it. Someone really interested in Latin and Spanish cultures will also need to know to ignore LOTS of Latin people, as many of them have only been to one Latin country and will just talk out their butts about places they've never been too.

I've been to Paraguay, Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Portugal, and Spain.

Americans who travel overseas tend to be affluent, and people around the world know this. Poor African Americans obviously can't travel. The assumption of people in other countries is generally that Americans are well off.

It's why I gave advice to the OP to move up in your education (at least get a BA) and otherwise save up in the US. She'd then be able to go anywhere in the world. Though to be honest, better job opportunities are available worldwide to those with masters degrees, and a masters degree from a US university is a big boost......

Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Also the US is a temperate climate and Americans in general love air conditioning. I'm not so sure many AFrican Americans would like the tropics. There are more temperate regions of Latin America and more developed regions. And if one likes Europe there is always Spain.

Op, you might consider Spain. It's a developed, Western country. All legal residents have free healthcare, and if you studied here education is subsidized by the government and cheap....

Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
My apologies if my comments about the Anglo Caribbean seemed insensitive.

But as noted, the OP is interested in going to a Spanish speaking nation.
Exactly so why is the English-speaking Caribbean being discussed? The OP’s post was clear. Anyway, I wonder if she ever moved...

Old 03-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Also the US is a temperate climate and Americans in general love air conditioning. I'm not so sure many AFrican Americans would like the tropics. There are more temperate regions of Latin America and more developed regions. And if one likes Europe there is always Spain.

Op, you might consider Spain. It's a developed, Western country. All legal residents have free healthcare, and if you studied here education is subsidized by the government and cheap....
It’s possible to have a place with A/C in the tropics. It’s about what you are looking for. But I agree that there are other options in Latin America worth consideration.

I enjoyed Spain when I visited but I went to Barcelona. Clearly the OP isn’t trying to learn Catalan...lol. Sure it’s nice to live though.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s possible to have a place with A/C in the tropics. It’s about what you are looking for. But I agree that there are other options in Latin America worth consideration.

I enjoyed Spain when I visited but I went to Barcelona. Clearly the OP isn’t trying to learn Catalan...lol. Sure it’s nice to live though.
Barcelona is bilingual. They speak both Spanish and Catalan.

Obviously they are plenty of cities in Spain where they speak just Spanish.

I know there are places with A/C in the tropics. But you have to leave your house, and not everyone from temperate climates like the US will make that adjustment....

Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM

630 posts, read 523,079 times
The OP is pondering a move to Latin America, I'm curious why Spain has been brought up.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:07 AM

671 posts, read 852,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Hello!
I am a Black Female looking to possibly relocate from Arkansas, U.S. to a Latin American country. I work in the medical field and when I finish school for MRI tech I want to relocate not long after. Me and my significant other will be moving together. I would like to be able to buy land (inexpensive) and have a small farm but be close enough to the city to work.

Can someone tell me the best country (ies) for me? I'm interested in Argentina, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

Things important to me:
1. Safety
2. Non racist environment
3. Friendly people
4. Decent income comparable or better than southern U.S.

And can someone explain how difficult it is to mortgage lan/home in another country if you are not a citizen.
I hate to say it but the place that you are looking for does not exist. Think about your criteria and your partner's criteria.

Why Latin America> Haveyou looked into employment opportunities? Are you fluent in Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas