Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:25 AM

424 posts, read 465,808 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I work in the architectural profession as a designer for a firm in San Francisco.

It is a goal of mine to learn Spanish fluently andI believe the best way to go about that is to live in a major Spanish speaking city.

From a practical standpoint I think it wouldbe best to work in my profession in a large Latin American city to support myself. Ideally I would like the experience of living abroad for around 3 years or so - I believe that may be ample time to learn the language and make a meaningful connection to a city.

The cities I am strongly considering are CDMX, Buenos Aires, and Bogotá.

My reasons behind CDMX are because it is a major job market in the Spanish speaking world and also because it has some fascinating historic and contemporary architecture. My only qualms might be the bad air quality and the hot weather - I am actually a fan of cooler weather similar to San Francisco (i.e. 50s and 60s Fahrenheit).

My 2nd option is Buenos Aires because, like CDMX, it is a large spanish speaking job market. But it also has fantastic architecture! And the urban center is much more dense and walkable than CDMX. I am also fascinated by Buenos Aires' architectural history.

My only qualms with Buenos Aires might be the hot humid weather during their summer as well as the general remotness from other places of interest (it's a far drive and flight to see anything interesting outside of Buenos Aires).

My 3rd choice is Bogotá. In terms of weather Bogotá sounds like it is the best option (in the 50s and 60s Fahrenheit most of the year). I hear that Colombian Spanish is also the most general form of the language.
The city als has some fascinating red brick vernacular architecture. However I am not sure how the job market is there. Nor how it compares to the other 2 in terms of safety.

Which of these 3 cities might offer the best experience to learn Spanish and work in the design field for a few years there?

And advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
Actually Buenos Aires among the 3 is the one that has more interesting destinations both by flight or drinving.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Actually Buenos Aires among the 3 is the one that has more interesting destinations both by flight or drinving.
I guess there is quite a bit that I overlooked there.
With Montevideo across the river, Iguazu Falls, the wine growing regions of Mendoza, the alpine resorts at Bariloche, the glaciers of Patagonia. ...there is quite a bit. Though all those places are very far from each other.

I always thought CDMX had the most to see that is within a few hours drive from the capital. There is Cuernavaca and Puebla just outside the valley, Cumbres Del Ajusco Natl Park, Teotihuacan, Acapulco within a few hours drive, the Mayan ruins and beach resorts of the Yucatan a short domestic flight away.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
Doesn't Buenos Aires speak the most unique Spanish of the three?... and is therefore not the best place to learn the language?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Doesn't Buenos Aires speak the most unique Spanish of the three?... and is therefore not the best place to learn the language?
That is something I have been considering.

Perhaps it may just be a good city to visit - but not the best city to live in for the purposes of learning Spanish (?).

Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post

Really? Please explain.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:28 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
All three are excellent choices, but if I were you I would eliminate Buenos Aires and toss a coin between Bogota and Mexico City.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I would recommend you start out by taking an intensive course in Antigua, Guatemala, the old colonial capital (full of beautiful old architecture). The best school in town (which has several imitators, but the original has the best instructors) is El Proyecto Linguistico Francisco Marroquin. They can arrange for a homestay for you, so you'll have a family to practice with, if you don't require the privacy of a hotel. You have the option of taking 4 hours/day of classes, or a full-time schedule of 7 hours. You can sign up for as many weeks as you like. Once you gain some fluency, then you'd be in a stronger position to make the kinds of connections you want in a major city. The weather in highland Guatemala is ideal October through about February.

http://spanishschoolplfm.com/
This is a non-profit school. The proceeds from language classes support research and dictionary publication in the Mayan languages. The school was set up by the Maryknoll Order (Catholic) back in the 60's, I think. They have very strict standards for their teachers, who are required to be able to teach Spanish as a second language, with a thorough knowledge of grammar.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:11 PM

321 posts, read 333,655 times
If your main goal is to learn Spanish then Bogota is your best choice, Colombian accents are highly renowned amongst Spanish speaking people and also Colombia has got the most accredited institutions for learning Spanish: https://sites.google.com/a/sicele.org/sicele/

+ Colombia has got the oldest Academia de la Lengua Española in the continent.

+ Weather in Bogota is cooler than either Buenos Aires or Mexico City.

+ You get a chance to travel Colombia.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really? Please explain.
Rosario 300km

By train
Paraná Delta 1h

By Boat
Montevideo 2h (also take cars)
+130km Punta del Leste

By plane
Iguazu 1h50min
Bariloche 2h20min
Santiago 2h20min
Florianopolis 1h50min
Curitiba 2h10min
São Paulo 2h35min
Rio de Janeiro 2h55min

Among others

I'm not saying that Bogotá and Mexico don't have lots of places to go around. But for sure BUE has plenty nice places to go if his income permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas