Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 03:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Colombia seems to be all of Latin America wrapped up into one. There is a bit of everything there.
When are you going to go down to Cordoba? I've always found it odd that that's the place you mentioned when you said you wanted to visit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 AM

345 posts, read 268,698 times
That woukd be Colombia.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 AM

The Paisa region is the economic counterpoint to Bogota and the plateau region. It has various parallels to other LatAm regions such as the inland countryside region of Costa Rica, the state of Minas Gerais in Brazil and is musically tied to the Rioplatense region of Uruguay & Argentina.

It's a region steeped in tradition of quaint farmhouses, villages, old jeep vehicles and the birthplace of coffee production in the country. The region boomed in the 60's creating various important cities.

Paisa region

Quindio Finca en el Paisaje cafetero by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

RDH_2013-11-13RDH_9342
by Ronald de Hommel, on Flickr

Sonson 1 by viajando encarro, on Flickr

SALENTO, COLOMBIA - coffee finca "El Ocaso"
by Miami Love 1, on Flickr

56º Desfile de Silleteros
by Daniel Romero, on Flickr

Jeep carrying bananas in the Coffee Zone, Colombia by Exodus Travels, on Flickr

JERICO - ANTIOQUIA by Iván Erre Jota, on Flickr

El Caucho by Santiago Restrepo Calle, on Flickr

Cocora Valley, Colombia by May Peria, on Flickr

nevado-ruiz-tolima07 by bouselahane amid, on Flickr

4 days 3 nights paramillo quindio y Termales cañon by salento trekking, on Flickr

Manizales - Parque Los Yarumos by Sebas Zapata, on Flickr

Jeep-2 by David_DXR, on Flickr

Waterworld by Tan Yilmaz, on Flickr

Guatape Antioquia 07 by David Mateo Lopez, on Flickr

Carrieles
by Carlos Valencia, on Flickr

Jericó. Retratos by Johnny Alberto Cano Corrales, on Flickr

56º Desfile de Silleteros
by Daniel Romero, on Flickr

Yipao 2014 en Armenia by Juan Pablo Pino Vargas, on Flickr

Cafe Colombia by Mercedez Surita, on Flickr

Filandia - Quindio, Colombia.
by mauro arango, on Flickr

Finca Cafetera by Julian Andres Carmona Serato, on Flickr

Juan Valdez by Alejandro Nuñez, on Flickr

Cafe de Colombia by Takashi Matsumura, on Flickr

Machete dance

Yipao (Jeepao)

Guasca Pop...
Juanes (Medellin) + Kali Uchis (Pereira)

Flower Festival...

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 06-10-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 07:05 PM

A British girl and an American guy attempting to speak in different Colombian accents as well as other countries, but the fact that they as foreigners can quite easily differentiate various Colombian accents, whereas grouping other countries as one, showcases further the diversity of Colombia that even people from outside cultures can tell regional differences.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 AM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
They can differentiate the local accents because they have been living here for years. It's the same in any country. You can differentiate the national accents from your own country where you lived all your life. If you went to live in other country, you would start differentiating the accents there eventually.

The average non Colombian Latin American can only differentiate Caribbean, Inland and maybe Paisa accents.

Also I don't know why so many people want to make that guy famous, his videos are boring and stupid. But of course he is happy now that he's profiting from it and getting small jobs. All of this just by saying how "Colombians are cool and I love the country".

Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
They can differentiate the local accents because they have been living here for years. It's the same in any country. You can differentiate the national accents from your own country where you lived all your life. If you went to live in other country, you would start differentiating the accents there eventually.

The average non Colombian Latin American can only differentiate Caribbean, Inland and maybe Paisa accents.
You're in cloud cuu-cuu land if you think people can only "maybe" differentiate the Paisa accent. Everywhere I go in the Spanish speaking world from Spain to Mexico when they find out I'm Colombian they speak to me in a Paisa accent, everyone knows 'Cartel de los Sapos'.

2 years and 3 years respectively in the country isn't exactly "living all your life". Also its the first time I've even posted a video of him, he's just having fun stop being such a glum bucket, there are plenty like him like Dustin Luke in Argentina.

I think you're wrong because even people from other countries admit they can tell differences, case in point, 'Joanna Rants' says, "Colombia has a bunch of different accents", even the BBC did a video on this fact.

Also, you think that the average person being able to differentiate at least 2-3 Colombian accents is little? And don't even get me started on the San Andres or Pastuso accents which are impossible not to differentiate.

Peruvian and Paisa taking the mick out of each-others accents...

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 06-11-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
2-3 years is enough to differentiate any country dialectal varieties.

the most obvious dialectal divide in Colombia is the Caribbean/Inland accents one. Even some maps reflect that: http://blogs.transparent.com/spanish...pa%C3%B1ol.png

A lot of non-Colombian Latin Americans I know can't differentiate the Paisa accent that well, and the ones who can is probably because of all the hype about Escobar el patrón del mal and other tv series. There are also the people who thinks that all Colombians speak like Paisas, and that all of us say "parce", "eh ave maría pueshh", etc. I've had to explain a lot of people that I don't speak like that.

Colombian accent is getting more homogeneous. A lot of young people in cities like Cali, Medellin or Ibague is adopting Bogota's forms and manners of speaking.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
2-3 years is enough to differentiate any country dialectal varieties.
What about 3 months and 2 weeks respectively (basically a tourist with limited Spanish)?

minute 4:35 - 6:35

I'm not saying everyone is perceptive but anyone with an ounce of speech perception can tell the difference. There are people that can't tell the difference between an Australian accent and a British accent or between Flamenco music and Salsa music. I'm talking about people that have some medium perception skills.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 8,767 times
Let's compare each country's completeness based on the given criteria; Climate Diversity, Major Dialects, and Ethnic Diversity. Major Dialects can be a proxy for cultural regions.

Brazil:
Major Dialects: 16
Climates: 12
Ethnic Diversity: (European: Very High | Native: Low | African: High | ME: Med | Asian: Med)

Colombia:
Major Dialects: 11
Climates: 14
Ethnic Diversity: (European: Med-High | Native: High | African: High | ME: Med | Asian: Low)

Argentina:
Major Dialects: 6
Climates: 15
Ethnic Diversity: (European: Very High | Native: Low | African: Low | ME: Med | Asian: Low)

Mexico:
Major Dialects: 11
Climates: 16
Ethnic Diversity: (European: Med | Native: Very High | African: Low | ME: Low | Asian: Low)

Old 07-01-2017, 05:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
When are you going to go down to Cordoba? I've always found it odd that that's the place you mentioned when you said you wanted to visit.
Cordoba and other areas like the llanos and also the pacific coast region. Bogota and Medellin seem very cool and I would like to visit those cities but it is the small cities, towns and rural areas that really attract my attention. I wish I could go now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas