Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:10 PM

426 posts, read 351,886 times

Advertisements

I've never hated being half Latin American but it is annoying when people get on my case about certain things. For example I don't like regatton, I don't really listen to merenuge or bachata much and I've had people get mad at me for that. My taste in music is more a long the lines of old romantic Spanish songs, music from all over the world. 😂 I guess that makes me a weirdo. I used to get bullied a lot back then just for the color of my skin and what I look like. It's not because I'm white from my dad's side, it's more because I'm white from my mothers side since her grandparents were spaniards so imagine the hell I got from other Latin Americans growing up. I'm half Dominican so you can imagine. I have been called gringa, white b****, flaka de mi***a etc. Then telling me why don't I make my skin darker so I can be attractive, why can't I look like j lo or something, that I should act tough. The s*** people say. It goes both ways. I know that yes there are some Europeans or white Americans that can be rude to people but remember there are very racist and rude people from every country and background in the world. It all depends on the individual and how he or she was raised.
I've had Latin Americans get mad at me for going to Spain treating me like if I was a traitor or something I mean what the hell lol. Some of the friendliest people I've met were spaniards. I know that there still seems to be a big clash between spaniards and Latin Americans but not all of them are like that. There are plenty of sweet spaniards and sweet Latin Americans and this topic seems to be such taboo but there are still relations between the 2 but not many people talk about it. I know a Peruvian woman who's married to a Spaniard. It all depends on the person and who their type is.
Now I have dealt with a Spaniard who was a jerk before when I was in Germany. He didn't of what I look like or where I'm from, he just yelled in my face. 😂

Also I must add because I'm white I don't think I'm better than anyone and no one is better than me. I belive everyone should be proud of where they are from, it doesn't matter the color of your skin! I used to know someone that was ashamed of being Ecuadorian he hated being indigenous. No body should think like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM

368 posts, read 454,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You clearly know nothing about Latin America. Brazil has the largest Black population out of Africa, and also has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan.

Cuba, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, all have substantial Black populations. Even countries with small Black populations have some Black people.

Not to mention you will also find Asians and Middle Easterners in Latin America. Even a few people who are of Indian descent (as in the subcontinent of India).

Your knowledge of Latin America sounds like you read an US encyclopedia from the 1970s.
Forgot Puerto Rico.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:58 PM

412 posts, read 509,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I've never hated being half Latin American but it is annoying when people get on my case about certain things. For example I don't like regatton, I don't really listen to merenuge or bachata much and I've had people get mad at me for that. My taste in music is more a long the lines of old romantic Spanish songs, music from all over the world. 😂 I guess that makes me a weirdo. I used to get bullied a lot back then just for the color of my skin and what I look like. It's not because I'm white from my dad's side, it's more because I'm white from my mothers side since her grandparents were spaniards so imagine the hell I got from other Latin Americans growing up. I'm half Dominican so you can imagine. I have been called gringa, white b****, flaka de mi***a etc. Then telling me why don't I make my skin darker so I can be attractive, why can't I look like j lo or something, that I should act tough. The s*** people say. It goes both ways. I know that yes there are some Europeans or white Americans that can be rude to people but remember there are very racist and rude people from every country and background in the world. It all depends on the individual and how he or she was raised.
I've had Latin Americans get mad at me for going to Spain treating me like if I was a traitor or something I mean what the hell lol. Some of the friendliest people I've met were spaniards.
I usually tell white men from Argentina & Brazil: "Come home white man!".

So for you I will say: Come home white woman (to Europe).

Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM

28 posts, read 17,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Yes, take a wild guess of who Hispanics are? Since it appears that you are not aware, Hispanics are Mestizos for the most part a mixture of American Indian (North, Central or South American) mixed with for the most part with the Spanish. Hence, Hispanic.
Hispanics come in many different races and mixes.

Compare Mexico (majority Mestizo) to Argentina (majority European) to Dominican Rep/Cuba (majority Mulatto?)

Im not referring to you but many people assume Hispanic is a race. Most accurately its a language group or "meta-ethnicity". Similar to say Slavic or Anglo. For example the US census has for decades tried to have Hispanics pick one of the racial groupings, and yet somehow they are picking Hispanic in some cases.
This coming 2020 census will try to experiment with changing that.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 PM

28 posts, read 17,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
I put people from Latin America in three categories:

1. The "pure" Europeans (have only little Indian blood)
2. The mixed ones (maybe 50/50)
3. The Indians
Well mixed can be Mestizo, Mulatto, and even Pardos (thats triracial).
They are different right.

And by Indians I hope you mean Native/Aboriginal Americans? As a European I think of Indians as those in India

Old 06-12-2017, 04:16 PM

426 posts, read 351,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
I usually tell white men from Argentina & Brazil: "Come home white man!".

So for you I will say: Come home white woman (to Europe).
😂You are funny! I did have a home in Germany but had to give it up.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
White Latinos can be some of the most racist people. The way some of them talk about or treat more indigenous people is so sad. Just because someone is more indigenous does not mean they are any worse of a person

Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Forgot Puerto Rico.
I did. Costa Rica and Nicaragua have parts of the country with substantial Black populations. Even Argentina and Uruguay, the whitest Latin American countries have some Black people.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhite2017 View Post
Well mixed can be Mestizo, Mulatto, and even Pardos (thats triracial).
They are different right.

And by Indians I hope you mean Native/Aboriginal Americans? As a European I think of Indians as those in India
Nobody in Latin America is going to call someone a pardo. Mulatto isn't really used either.

Black people, or people with dark features (say Penelope Cruz with her dark hair or dark eyes) are called morenos.

It's understand in Colombia, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic that many people can be all three, so no one is going say, "Pardo que pasa o venga a la fiesta pardo!" They would say moreno.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nobody in Latin America is going to call someone a pardo. Mulatto isn't really used either.

Black people, or people with dark features (say Penelope Cruz with her dark hair or dark eyes) are called morenos.

It's understand in Colombia, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic that many people can be all three, so no one is going say, "Pardo que pasa o venga a la fiesta pardo!" They would say moreno.
Pardo is a term used in Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardo_Brazilians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas