Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Spain

African immigrants to Spain are mostly from Francophone and Anglophone African. Ecuatorial Guinea sends few immigrants to Spain.

Today colonial ties don't matter so much where people immigrate, as least as far as Africans and Asians go. These days Africans and Asians go everywhere in Europe. Spain actually has a decent Pakistani population, and Pakistan was a colony of Britain.

Of course a lot of Latin Americans go to Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 10:50 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
could only speak from the experience of an American born, Hispanic.

Some people hear I am Dominican, and tell me I have some African in me. I am of white complexion, but easily tan and love the sun. This drives me crazy, because of the ignorance. My great great grand parents came from Spain in the early 1800's, settling in the DR. My GGP had long golden brown hair and Green Eyes, so did his Kids. Ancestry is traced to Spain via Barcelona. As most know, living in the country side, they did keep marriages among other Spanish families (white), and kept Spanish traditions alive, evident by the Criollo style dishes still popular today, and the power of the Catholic Church. This does not mean that all Dominicans thought this way, as mixed marriages were normal as well, just my Family Tree.

In my families hometown, poor is poor, no matter the color. This is the same home town where the Dominican Ashley twins, are very humble, and they work for very low wages doing domestic work. The D.A.Ts, as mentioned, still live in tin shacks, with an out house, still hand washing their laundry, with 4 children at home , at the tender age of 24.

I did not even know there was a thing called Mulatto until I was a teen. I am not Mulatto, but used to be asked, "are you black?" because of my "all day in the sun" tan. It was a different attitude in the Winter, with my pale white skin and long wavy hair. I was probably asked , since it was the 70's, and we still lived among Greeks, Italians, and African Americans in Queens. We blended in kind of easy, and took our spot, due to white flight during the early 70's.

I was embarrassed at a time, during the late 80s early 90s, when crime was very high. Being asked to "cop some blow" because of my Hispanic good looks was not fun. I used to ask myself, "am I american?" and "is there such a thing as an American?" I was never embarrassed or denied what my make up was, but it killed me to see other people , who are obviously Hispanic, deny their race. To be ashamed of speaking the language your mom speaks is so WEAK!

The biggest difference between us (hispanics) and them (everyone else) is that we come in all colors, due to immigration in our home country. Little bit of Spanish, Italian, Arab, etc. , not too much indigenous genes in the Carribean Islands, but much more in the other countries.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
could only speak from the experience of an American born, Hispanic.

Some people hear I am Dominican, and tell me I have some African in me. I am of white complexion, but easily tan and love the sun. This drives me crazy, because of the ignorance. My great great grand parents came from Spain in the early 1800's, settling in the DR. My GGP had long golden brown hair and Green Eyes, so did his Kids. Ancestry is traced to Spain via Barcelona. As most know, living in the country side, they did keep marriages among other Spanish families (white), and kept Spanish traditions alive, evident by the Criollo style dishes still popular today, and the power of the Catholic Church. This does not mean that all Dominicans thought this way, as mixed marriages were normal as well, just my Family Tree.

In my families hometown, poor is poor, no matter the color. This is the same home town where the Dominican Ashley twins, are very humble, and they work for very low wages doing domestic work. The D.A.Ts, as mentioned, still live in tin shacks, with an out house, still hand washing their laundry, with 4 children at home , at the tender age of 24.

I did not even know there was a thing called Mulatto until I was a teen. I am not Mulatto, but used to be asked, "are you black?" because of my "all day in the sun" tan. It was a different attitude in the Winter, with my pale white skin and long wavy hair. I was probably asked , since it was the 70's, and we still lived among Greeks, Italians, and African Americans in Queens. We blended in kind of easy, and took our spot, due to white flight during the early 70's.

I was embarrassed at a time, during the late 80s early 90s, when crime was very high. Being asked to "cop some blow" because of my Hispanic good looks was not fun. I used to ask myself, "am I american?" and "is there such a thing as an American?" I was never embarrassed or denied what my make up was, but it killed me to see other people , who are obviously Hispanic, deny their race. To be ashamed of speaking the language your mom speaks is so WEAK!

The biggest difference between us (hispanics) and them (everyone else) is that we come in all colors, due to immigration in our home country. Little bit of Spanish, Italian, Arab, etc. , not too much indigenous genes in the Carribean Islands, but much more in the other countries.
These days European nations get more immigrants by far than Latin America. Everyone is everywhere these days, so any nation or group could they have all colors. Australians come in all colors. So do Americans, French, Spaniyards, British, Germans, etc.

As for whether your family tree is all Spanish, family stories alone are not proof of anything. People lie, have affairs, get adopted, etc. The only way to know what you are genetically is to take a DNA test.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 AM

345 posts, read 268,905 times
Also, a the level of the common people, southern Spaniards tend to be more welcoming to latinos in general than northern Spaniards. In the north of Spain the racial attitudes more common to Northern Europe tend to have a greater presence. This is a generalization, but it's based on an underlying truth. As a curiosity, the bulk of the Spaniards that moved to Latin America, especially in colonial times, were mostly from southern Spain and the Canary Islands. This means that the Spanish blood in the typical Latin American mestizo/mulatto is often from those southern regions of Spain.

Latin Americans in Spain until 2000 or so were Galician, Asturian and Basque returnees and families. You can notice the influence up north, in houses, culture and the tremendous turnaround mouvement.

Andalusians and people from Extremadura are not related with 20th century massive emigration to America.

Non white Latin Americans are a very, very recent phenomena here, the only one that I remember from before 2000 was Legrà, a black Cuban boxer that fought for Spain, or Machin. They are as recent as the buskimanus.

Most Spanish population still is very homogenous, more than 90 percent are related to people living here 8000 years ago.

Last edited by papuolo; 06-20-2017 at 05:10 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Interesting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

Not really. Hispanic simply means Spanish-speaking, so yes, Hispanics come in all colors. At the same time, so do Anglos/English-speaking people, see England vs. Jamaica vs. India. French-speaking people come in all colors as well, see France and other French-speaking nations like Martinique to French Polynesia. Same goes for Arabic-speaking people. Look at somewhere like Iraq to a nation like Sudan.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Also, a the level of the common people, southern Spaniards tend to be more welcoming to latinos in general than northern Spaniards. In the north of Spain the racial attitudes more common to Northern Europe tend to have a greater presence. This is a generalization, but it's based on an underlying truth. As a curiosity, the bulk of the Spaniards that moved to Latin America, especially in colonial times, were mostly from southern Spain and the Canary Islands. This means that the Spanish blood in the typical Latin American mestizo/mulatto is often from those southern regions of Spain.

Latin Americans in Spain until 2000 or so were Galician, Asturian and Basque returnees and families. You can notice the influence up north, in houses, culture and the tremendous turnaround mouvement.

Andalusians and people from Extremadura are not related with 20th century massive emigration to America.

Non white Latin Americans are a very, very recent phenomena here, the only one that I remember from before 2000 was Legrà, a black Cuban boxer that fought for Spain, or Machin. They are as recent as the buskimanus.

Most Spanish population still is very homogenous, more than 90 percent are related to people living here 8000 years ago.
750.000 Spanish emigrated to Brazil in the time of massive immigration 50% of them were Andalusians and 20% Galegos they lived together Italians and Portuguese working in farms

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
"In daily usage, Brazilians use the ambiguous[67] term moreno, a word that means "dark-skinned", "dark-haired", "tawny", "swarthy", "Brown" (when referring to people), "suntanned".[68] "Moreno" is often used as an intermediate colour category, similar to "pardo", but its meaning is significantly broader, including people who self identify as black, white, Asian and Amerindian in the IBGE classification system.[69] In a 1995 survey, 32% of the population self-identified as "moreno", with a further 6% self-identifying as "moreno claro" ("light brown"), and 7% self-identified as "pardo". Telles describes both classifications as "biologically invalid", but sociologically significant.[26]"

According to that same wikipedia entry, Brazilians use moreno in daily usage. Pardo apparently isn't really used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I have heard the word pardo used in conversation by Brazilians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Any Brazilians on this thread care to elaborate? Also, what was the content?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The context was at a wedding reception in California the groom married a bride that was half Mexican and a

couple of the grooms relatives had flown in from Sao Paulo Brazil to attend and they were commenting in Portuguese on the bride's mother being parda not white. It was apparent they thought it was acceptable but not ideal.
In Brazil everybody who are not blonde are ‘’moreno’’ including people who are light eyed and pale skin (white people in US).

‘’Pardo’’ is used more for official issues this term was created by IBGE (department of geography and statistics).

Pardo means someone predominantly white but with some traces of black or Amerindians, is used for classify people for affirmative politics like university paid by the State or buy house with mortgage subsided but some Brazilians nowadays may use this word in racist way.

The problem is that most Brazilian are from Mediterranean heritage and many with tanned or olive skin with curly hair may be classify as pardo in Brazil getting benefits in affirmative politics I know about people holding Spanish passport full Andalusian descent getting University paid by State just because she is olive skin.
Cristiano Ronaldo would be classify as pardo in Brazil easier than Lula (ex president) who is classify as pardo too.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post

This fails to provide context. Spain's population is about 10 percent foreign born, and basically all of it due to immigration that happened in the 21st century. These days Spain gets a lot of foreign immigration from other parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America. And a lot of it goes to bigger cities like Madrid and Barcelona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Spain

Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
I knew a good many self hating Latino's growing up in Toronto. The joke is they just looked stupid because most people did not have any significant negative sterotypes assosiated with Latinos and could not figure out what their problem was.

There was one girl specifically that use to drive me nuts. She was Central American with fair skin, redish hair wavy hair and hazel eyes. Had a huge accent as she was born there... but always felt like she needed to remind people she was not native. Most of the kids here had no idea about Latin American culture and did not get what she was talking about. She even lives in a low income area of the city and still felt that she was superior to other Lations lol. She ended up marrying this white guy from an English white guy ( family actually from Englan) .... you know to keep her white blood pure lol. No one in their right mind would even think she was white due to her facial features. She actually was so desparate to not be consider Latina that she would get a job that paid poorly at a coffee shop 45 minutes. Outside of her area in a higher income whiter area just to try and meet more "White Anglo Canadian" people. Unfortunately despite all her efforts to seem white she still had an accent as thick as mud so even married to English person did not white wash her well enough. She is such a joke it was sad.

Then there was the snobby Mexican lol. He killed me ex LMAO with his polo shirts, kakis and loafers like he was always on route to a golf club that did not exist. He appearantly had a thing for red heads ( which is a pretty stupid thing to tell a brunette you are trying to date). Sadly despite his attempts to pretend like he was a white european Mexican he really really did not look white or even European with a tan so he just looked crazy trying make people disassociate him with the average Mexican person. To think about it I should have introduced the snobby Mexican with the snobby Central American. It could have been a match made in heaven considering they have the same crazy attitude and she had redish hair.

These 2 characters were by far so rediculous they were a joke. Can't respect people this stupid.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I knew a good many self hating Latino's growing up in Toronto. The joke is they just looked stupid because most people did not have any significant negative sterotypes assosiated with Latinos and could not figure out what their problem was.

There was one girl specifically that use to drive me nuts. She was Central American with fair skin, redish hair wavy hair and hazel eyes. Had a huge accent as she was born there... but always felt like she needed to remind people she was not native. Most of the kids here had no idea about Latin American culture and did not get what she was talking about. She even lives in a low income area of the city and still felt that she was superior to other Lations lol. She ended up marrying this white guy from an English white guy ( family actually from Englan) .... you know to keep her white blood pure lol. No one in their right mind would even think she was white due to her facial features. She actually was so desparate to not be consider Latina that she would get a job that paid poorly at a coffee shop 45 minutes. Outside of her area in a higher income whiter area just to try and meet more "White Anglo Canadian" people. Unfortunately despite all her efforts to seem white she still had an accent as thick as mud so even married to English person did not white wash her well enough. She is such a joke it was sad.

Then there was the snobby Mexican lol. He killed me ex LMAO with his polo shirts, kakis and loafers like he was always on route to a golf club that did not exist. He appearantly had a thing for red heads ( which is a pretty stupid thing to tell a brunette you are trying to date). Sadly despite his attempts to pretend like he was a white european Mexican he really really did not look white or even European with a tan so he just looked crazy trying make people disassociate him with the average Mexican person. To think about it I should have introduced the snobby Mexican with the snobby Central American. It could have been a match made in heaven considering they have the same crazy attitude and she had redish hair.

These 2 characters were by far so rediculous they were a joke. Can't respect people this stupid.
It's not stupid. It's their reaction to being extremely oppressed, and certainly marginalized people do end up this way. This is a topic that's a bit too broad for this forum, but you shouldn't make fun of people who were victims of abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas