Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
By the way there is a problem with this DNA results. Many people has probably not even realize this. But, there is a lot of Chinese and Japanese heritage in Cuba. So, how come it doesn't show up and instead I see native American. My province of Granma is full of people of Asian heritage, and what do I see Native American heritage. Where are all of the chinese I met in Cuba.
There's nothing wrong with the study. In Cuba, like in the rest of the Spanish Caribbean, anyone with slanted eyes is often thought to have Chinese ancestry and often enough are nicknamed 'chinos.' DNA studies are proving that those 'chino' features are actually Amerindian features, given that in the areas where there are more 'chinos' is precisely where the Amerindian genetic input is highest

Cuba did receive many Chinese immigrants, but they always remained a very small minority. Not enough to affect the overall genetics of the island.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-04-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 10:47 AM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There's nothing wrong with the study. In Cuba, like in the rest of the Spanish Caribbean, anyone with slanted eyes is often thought to have Chinese ancestry and often enough are nicknamed 'chinos.' DNA studies are proving that those 'chino' features are actually Amerindian features, given that in the areas where there are more 'chinos' is precisely where the Amerindian genetic input is highest.

Cuba did receive many Chinese immigrants, but they always remained a very small minority. Not enough to affect the overall genetics of the island.
I am sorry my friend, but you are actually mistaken.

There was a large and well documented Asian migration to Cuba. There are a lot of people whose grandparents are from China, Japan or even Korea. This is not a mistake that people make believing those people are chinese because they have narrow eyes.

They are truly Asian and if you ask them they tell you how their grandparents came from China, Japan or even Korea. They even look like Asians instead of Mexicans and central americans.

The mistake comes from the lack of knowledge towards the asian population in Cuba. They probably make the same assumption you just made.

DNA studies can't really tell the difference, they just assume which one you might be.

Last edited by juancarbonell; 06-04-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I see that nobody bothered to read (or chose to ignore) an entire thread dedicated genetic supremacy in Mexico. The OP and his responses are bad enough, but the fact that not one Mexican member challenged him is even more telling.

But, but, but this only happens in the US.

Sorry, but I've traveled a good bit in Latin America and those with strong European heritage view themselves as superior to those with more indigenous blood. The more indigenous you are, the harder it is to escape serfdom. Puerto Rico might be the only place I've been where this attitude is muted a bit.
You simply don't get it.

The US is a country where race dictates most things and it shouldn't be like this. People are prone to 'racial allegiances' that simply doesn't exist in much of Latin America or even in much of the rest of world.

I'll give you one example. In the US people judge your racial 'allegiance' by the race of your spouse, which is unheard of in much of Latin America. Barack Obama, a mulatto that due to the intense racial politics in the US skirted between defining himself as black to audiences that he knew would reject him if he mentioned that he's half white and defining himself as mixed (or reminding people of his white blood) to audiences that he knew wouldn't had voted for him if he didn't do that. Obama is such an intelligent guy, that he knew that if he would had married his much whiter girlfriend, he would never be voted as president of the United States. That's a major reason why he married Michelle Obama (see here: Barack Obama worried his white girlfriend would ruin his political prospects).

There is not a single country in Spanish America with such racial politics.

Tiger Woods defines himself as mixed (I think he said blasian or something weird like that) and marries a white woman, and those two things alone is enough for a huge percentage of the US population to reject and mock him. They see him as someone with identity issues for simply claiming to be what he is. They also judge him for marrying a white woman when a person's character can't be determined based on the race of a spouse. Its ridiculous.

Despite the increasing diversity, in most places in the US you still see white people hanging with whites, blacks with blacks, etc. Its ridiculous.

Americans still talk about 'white America' and 'black America.' There's 'white music' and 'black music.' Many black Americans are complaining that Harlem is becoming more diverse while white Americans say in Central Florida consider an area to be 'bad' simply because its a mostly Hispanic or black neighborhood (or town). Its ridiculous.

Its all those things and more that makes the US one of the most socially-racially charged places, where Affirmative Action laws are necessary to make sure Americans of different colors at least work together when it should be something natural.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
I am sorry my friend, but you are actually mistaken.

There was a large and well documented Asian migration to Cuba. There are a lot of people whose grandparents are from China, Japan or even Korea. This is not a mistake that people make believing those people are chinese because they have narrow eyes.

They are truly Asian and if you ask them they tell you how their grandparents came from China, Japan or even Korea. They even look like Asians instead of Mexicans and central americans.

The mistake comes from the lack of knowledge towards the asian population in Cuba. They probably make the same assumption you just made.

DNA studies can't really tell the difference, they just assume which one you might be.
DNA studies can and do make the difference between Asian and Native American genes.

Case in point, when I did 23andme it gave 6% in the Asian/Native American category. Once I clicked on that it distinguished even further, turns out 0.3% is Asian (such low levels is probably statistical noise) and the rest Native American.

Another way they differentiate Asian from Native American inputs is through the Mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited exclusively along the maternal line (men and women inherits an unmodified mtDNA from their mothers). Asian mtDNA and Native American mtDNA are different enough to be distinguishable in DNA tests. Here are the findings for Cuba:

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

The Y-chromosome is passed from father to son, and here again the Chinese contribution among Cubans is negligible.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetic...l.pgen.1004488

Like I already said, the Chinese were never a significant proportion of Cuba's population, not to mention that most left Cuba once Fidel Castro rose to power.

Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico received Chinese immigration too (more DR than PR) and a large percentage of the people there have slantes eyes. Most of the Chinese mixed with the locals, but guess what? The imprint in the overall population is negligible too. Most of those slanted eyes are testament of Taino blood than Chinese. This doesn't mean people with at least partial Chinese ancestry aren't numerous, just that relative to the size of the population their presence has always been of little percentage importance.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
You simply don't get it.

The US is a country where race dictates most things and it shouldn't be like this. People are prone to 'racial allegiances' that simply doesn't exist in much of Latin America or even in much of the rest of world.

I'll give you one example. In the US people judge your racial 'allegiance' by the race of your spouse, which is unheard of in much of Latin America. Barack Obama, a mulatto that due to the intense racial politics in the US skirted between defining himself as black to audiences that he knew would reject him if he mentioned that he's half white and defining himself as mixed (or reminding people of his white blood) to audiences that he knew wouldn't had voted for him if he didn't do that. Obama is such an intelligent guy, that he knew that if he would had married his much whiter girlfriend, he would never be voted as president of the United States. That's a major reason why he married Michelle Obama (see here: Barack Obama worried his white girlfriend would ruin his political prospects).

There is not a single country in Spanish America with such racial politics.

Tiger Woods defines himself as mixed (I think he said blasian or something weird like that) and marries a white woman, and those two things alone is enough for a huge percentage of the US population to reject and mock him. They see him as someone with identity issues for simply claiming to be what he is. They also judge him for marrying a white woman when a person's character can't be determined based on the race of a spouse. Its ridiculous.

Despite the increasing diversity, in most places in the US you still see white people hanging with whites, blacks with blacks, etc. Its ridiculous.

Americans still talk about 'white America' and 'black America.' There's 'white music' and 'black music.' Many black Americans are complaining that Harlem is becoming more diverse while white Americans say in Central Florida consider an area to be 'bad' simply because its a mostly Hispanic or black neighborhood (or town). Its ridiculous.

Its all those things and more that makes the US one of the most socially-racially charged places, where Affirmative Action laws are necessary to make sure Americans of different colors at least work together when it should be something natural.
First of all, I do get it. Secondly, I am huge sports fan and EVERYBODY is pulling for Tiger to make a comeback despite his latest transgression. Thirdly, I am a white American of 99.9% European descent (according to 23andme) and my wife is a cinnamon skinned Colombian whose first language is Spanish. We have never, not once been rejected or judged because we are a mixed couple, only complimented on our beautiful children. Perhaps a couple of ignorant comments or questions, but nothing serious. The only place we ever had a serious issue in which I threatened to punch a woman's husband's teeth out if he didn't shut her racist arse up was in Chamonix, France. That was a Spanish women in a restaurant who felt above moving her chair so that my wife could pass.

Most people I know who think Orlando is a bad area say that because it's hot and humid, there's no beaches and there's terrible traffic, not because of the minority population. Despite all of that, it is one of the fastest growing places in the country, so how many people really think it's bad.

Are there race issues in the US? Of course and they are out in the open so people talk about it. In Europe and Canada it's much more subtle, but it can be a good bit worse once you peel the skin off the onion. In Latin American countries, there is more mixing between light tan and black, but nobody is going to tell me that high class Spaniards marry more Mestizo people--They don't or at least almost never. My wife's family was somewhat well-to-do down there, but they will be the first to say that they didn't pass the skin test into the aristocracy when they lived in Colombia.

Much of what happens related to race in the US is the product of the media and victimization by minority leaders who indoctrinate their people into a life of victimhood and hyper-sensitivity to race issues.

Most of those who succeed ignore the noise.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Also, what are your thoughts about the high sense of pride and elitism by Mexicans of predominantly European blood that is evidenced by that thread I linked to? Sadly, that is the prevailing attitude in much of Latin America.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:

Much of what happens related to race in the US is the product of the media and victimization by minority leaders who indoctrinate their people into a life of victimhood and hyper-sensitivity to race issues.

Most of those who succeed ignore the noise.
Yes mate!!! You're on fire today.

100% agree.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:21 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
Quote:
DNA studies can and do make the difference between Asian and Native American genes.

Case in point, when I did 23andme it gave 6% in the Asian/Native American category. Once I clicked on that it distinguished even further, turns out 0.3% is Asian (such low levels is probably statistical noise) and the rest Native American.

Another way they differentiate Asian from Native American inputs is through the Mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited exclusively along the maternal line (men and women inherits an unmodified mtDNA from their mothers). Asian mtDNA and Native American mtDNA are different enough to be distinguishable in DNA tests. Here are the findings for Cuba:

Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers

The Y-chromosome is passed from father to son, and here again the Chinese contribution among Cubans is negligible.

Like I already said, the Chinese were never a significant proportion of Cuba's population, not to mention that most left Cuba once Fidel Castro rose to power.

Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico received Chinese immigration too (more DR than PR) and a large percentage of the people there have slantes eyes. Most of the Chinese mixed with the locals, but guess what? The imprint in the overall population is negligible too. Most of those slanted eyes are testament of Taino blood than Chinese. This doesn't mean people with at least partial Chinese ancestry aren't numerous, just that relative to the size of the population their presence has always been of little percentage importance.
And I am telling you that not the case my friend. I live in Cuba, I live there, I talked to people. I met their families and their grandparents. You can't tell me these people are native-americans when I met their Chinese and Japanese and Korean grandparents.

I don't care about DNA test, I knew these people personally. I knew their families. This is not some kind of mistake Cubans make. People outside of Cuba just find it impossible to believe a Spanish speaking country could have so much Asian influence.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 PM

345 posts, read 268,905 times
Quote:
Also, what are your thoughts about the high sense of pride and elitism by Mexicans of predominantly European blood that is evidenced by that thread I linked to? Sadly, that is the prevailing attitude in much of Latin America.

I would say that in most of America.

In fact, in Mexico there are hundreds of attested descendants of conquistadors with their own nobliary title of hidalguia....that's four centuries. They do still appear in the Real Chancilleria of Castile, but not recognized in Mexico, a Republic.

In the US, you have crackers that ignore what they really are and lost all their European culture, if they ever had one, that were lynching black Americans a few decades ago.

Latin America is older and has survived with ups and downs, but will the US survive to have 500 years?

What baffles me the most is that those colonials as English call them call themseleves ·European", which is absurd and paranoid.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:37 PM

345 posts, read 268,905 times
Quote:

No, lots of people with chinese blood, called "narras", Cantonese. They were important, as Jews, Lebanese and Spanish were important...as Japanese were important in IP and as Swedes were important in Omaja, as Germans in Matanzas, etc. They all left.

Cuban culture is very influenced by Cantonese culture - there are theaters, a pharmacy, a chinese quarter, and very important in gastronomy and sincretism, a buddah in every house.

Amerindian influence is hardly Taino....amerindian were brought as semi-slave labour from Yucatan and peninsula de Guajira (Guajiros).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas