Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 17,686 times

Advertisements

I will admit that I used to hate to call myself Latino or Mexican-American and just refer to myself as strictly American only when I was a younger teenager, because one, the serious racial and ethnic identity issues that Latino/Hispanics have always had for a long time because of how our culture is diversely mixed and far from an original, homogeneous traditional culture and race like the East Asian and European cultures.

Two, I used to look at the Latino culture as a wannabe-white purist European culture that teaches Latinos to deliberately deny their non-white European ancestry just so they can feel more socially accepted by "pure white" people both in and outside of Latin America(especially if it's when they're traveling to Spain) and three, Latinos seems to be incredibly hypocritical about crying racism in the US yet have a bunch of racism of their own(in the Latino culture) hiding in the closet, with the way they treat indigenous and dark-skinned people in general while trying to completely "Whitewash" or Europeanize the whole Latin American/Mesoamerican culture and teach Mestizos to deny their indigenous ancestry(regardless of how painfully obvious it is by their skin tone and facial structure) while looking down on others who have even less white European blood in them. In the US, Latinos would cry racism when they suffer from it and act as if it's as bad as the Jews being wiped out in Nazi Germany(which I think is ridiculously laughable) while they'll proudly call themselves the white race only when it benefits them socially in the US, despite how obviously mestizo they look.

Again, this is all how I used to feel when I was a younger teenager and now as young adult in his early 20s, I had a change of heart and learned to not let my ethnicity or racial background(whatever it is since I'm very light skinned with some non-white features) describe who I am as an individual person and just ignore how other Latinos want to identify themselves and let them identify however they want regardless of how wrong or right they may be of their racial background. In the end, I matured and tried not to compare myself to others or worry so much about how other Latinos think or want to identify themselves since it only just stresses me out more about my true ethnicity or true "race". Life is too short to stress over such things that are tiring to thoroughly think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 PM

321 posts, read 333,769 times
Oh God this is so true. Latin America has always wanted to be white and resemble European customs. People look up to Europe in Latin America.

It's the ultimate goal.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
^^^^^
It's a funny post, because it's a very natural thing since it's a region formed by europeans. By europeans that left their homeland and believed thay would do better in this continent.

Nowadays it's a fact that the mothercountries are way better socially developed than the average nations in the new world, but a few decades ago, they were so unnatractive... they came in thousands.

So to me it's a natural thing that we look at them and don't feel completely happy that they are developed and we don't, but we know that maybe we wouldn't even be alive, like many others that remainded there.

Anyway I think most of us while not satisfied, don't hate it here. Most of us love this place and culture, but would like to see it in a better situation.

¨¨¨¨¨¨

About the OP, didn't you realize that the WASPs envy us because we're beautiful? Pure envy, my dear

Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecwarrior480 View Post
I will admit that I used to hate to call myself Latino or Mexican-American and just refer to myself as strictly American only when I was a younger teenager, because one, the serious racial and ethnic identity issues that Latino/Hispanics have always had for a long time because of how our culture is diversely mixed and far from an original, homogeneous traditional culture and race like the East Asian and European cultures.

Two, I used to look at the Latino culture as a wannabe-white purist European culture that teaches Latinos to deliberately deny their non-white European ancestry just so they can feel more socially accepted by "pure white" people both in and outside of Latin America(especially if it's when they're traveling to Spain) and three, Latinos seems to be incredibly hypocritical about crying racism in the US yet have a bunch of racism of their own(in the Latino culture) hiding in the closet, with the way they treat indigenous and dark-skinned people in general while trying to completely "Whitewash" or Europeanize the whole Latin American/Mesoamerican culture and teach Mestizos to deny their indigenous ancestry(regardless of how painfully obvious it is by their skin tone and facial structure) while looking down on others who have even less white European blood in them. In the US, Latinos would cry racism when they suffer from it and act as if it's as bad as the Jews being wiped out in Nazi Germany(which I think is ridiculously laughable) while they'll proudly call themselves the white race only when it benefits them socially in the US, despite how obviously mestizo they look.

Again, this is all how I used to feel when I was a younger teenager and now as young adult in his early 20s, I had a change of heart and learned to not let my ethnicity or racial background(whatever it is since I'm very light skinned with some non-white features) describe who I am as an individual person and just ignore how other Latinos want to identify themselves and let them identify however they want regardless of how wrong or right they may be of their racial background. In the end, I matured and tried not to compare myself to others or worry so much about how other Latinos think or want to identify themselves since it only just stresses me out more about my true ethnicity or true "race". Life is too short to stress over such things that are tiring to thoroughly think about.
How you feel is how many people feel.

The government pushing the idea we are not related to Americans in any way for the last 50 years haven't done any good to latinos.

While they get to fully respect their history and heritage and openly talk about it. In our case is the total opposite, there is a war against our history and heritage and any idea of being similar to Americans.

Many Mexicans-Americans has allowed this to grow because they think is better to deny their Native-American background. In reality all they have done is replace the word Mestizo for Hispanic.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecwarrior480 View Post

Man… The history of European countries as UK, Spain, Portugal and most of the former super power are equal of Latin American countries.

The UK for example the original inhabitants of Britain Inlands the Bretons were conquered by the Saxons in wars. They were killed, slavered, rapped, subjugated… The language they speak today English is a Saxon language imposed by the dominators Saxons not the real language from ancient Britons.
After Saxons came the Viking the Normans…

The Americans of English background who look down you is exactly like you a mixed blood of conquerors and conquered and they exalt only their winner side (Saxon, Viking) exactly like many Latin American with the Spanish…

So it is just human mindset… Don’t care about the past the important is your life nowadays

Old 06-02-2017, 01:57 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
^^^^^
It's a funny post, because it's a very natural thing since it's a region formed by europeans. By europeans that left their homeland and believed thay would do better in this continent.
not true for most of Latin America, which is heavily mixed. and even in these areas with strong European heritage like South Brazil, I'm not sure if there isn't some native or African influence. Maybe there is. For one, mate/chimarrao is basicaly an indigenous beverage.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:51 PM

Most of all mixed with europeans, speaking latin language, influenced or practicing christianism, etc
The preponderance of european influence doesn't mean that it's the only one.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Isnt Mexico more European than self-reported identity?

According to DNA ancestry, Mexico is about 50-55% European, 40-45% native and 4-5% African.

If anything, there seems to be a trend of exaggerating the non-European ancestry in self-reported identities.

I've heard some claim Colombia is 40% of African descent and Brazil is majority Afro-Brazilian. Ethnic genetic tests show Colombia being around 7-8% of African descent and Brazil around 20%...

Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM

I think the OP is not talking about it, but DNA is not the number of people, but the ancestrality as a whole. I Brazil not majority, but half of pop. have some african ascendence. But the european is the most important element in general formation, because people in general have more european ascedents than others groups.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM

220 posts, read 172,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Oh God this is so true. Latin America has always wanted to be white and resemble European customs. People look up to Europe in Latin America.

It's the ultimate goal.
I think that's a thing of the past. Nowadays, indigenous and mestizo peoples are becoming more assertive about who they really are and where they came from (at least the Andean people). Now more than ever. they are aware of who the Incas, Tiwanaku, and Aymaras were and about how advanced they really were. They know now that they come from a great ancestry. They are discarding the bias and prejudiced European historical view that was taught in the past.

They know now that most Europeans came here because they really couldn't make it in their own country. Most were illiterate, criminals, violent, racist, poor and hungry.
With respect to just food, did you know that the basic food staple in the middle ages for most English common people during the winters were, terrible barley beer with very stale huge crackers? Europeans did not know what potatoes, corn, beans, tomatoes and tons of other foods and fruits were. The Andean people, however, ate and grew them, in addition to other staples. The Andean people have over 2,300 varieties of potatoes, corn was modified from peg to corn over two thousand years ago. Let us not forget Quinoa which is an unbelievably healthy staple.

At the time, the Tiwanaku people were building huge irrigation systems using hydraulics techniques to get water up to the high terraces for their crops. The Aryan and Germanic tribes were basically nomadic people
who survived by eating roots, leaves, and maybe apples. Their home were just ditches covered with lumber to protect them from the cold.
This is just the tip of the ice berg and knowing just this, most indigenous and mestizo people are proud of their rich heritage that has no links to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas