Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times

Advertisements

So I have been to Mexico and Costa Rica and know many Americans retire in areas in those countries. But it seems that many are now choosing Ecuador. Anyone that has retired there, what's the big draw? It's further from the US if you need to get back.
Hoping on hear from some that have been or moved there.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 07:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Ecuador is old news now, you seem to be behind the curve. Cuenca has been a US expat hub for a decade already.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Ecuador is old news now, you seem to be behind the curve. Cuenca has been a US expat hub for a decade already.
So what's the advantage over Mexico, Costa Rica or Panama?

Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
So what's the advantage over Mexico, Costa Rica or Panama?
Cooler climate, mountain lifestyle, less crime.

Mexico is so vast that its not really comparable.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:35 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Agreed.

I worked in Guayaquil for a year in 1996/7 and found a large Italian expat community there already at that time.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Ecuador, along with Costa Rica, Panama, and a handful of other Latin American countries have easily accessible retirement visas which give expats many government benefits available to local citizens. Like discounts on buses, taxis, healthcare, even movie theaters and some restaurants. Benefits vary country tis country. Ecuador has been a popular retirement destination since the 2000's. Plus higher elevation areas have great temperate climates in Ecuador. The cost of living is 1/3 the cost of the cheapest place in the US. Some of these retirement visas don't even have age requirements.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Quote:
So I have been to Mexico and Costa Rica and know many Americans retire in areas in those countries. But it seems that many are now choosing Ecuador. Anyone that has retired there, what's the big draw? It's further from the US if you need to get back.
Thanks

You need a visa to live in Ecuador. Instead of fantasizing, you might want to look at this -

ECUADOR’S NEW VISA RULES AND REQUIREMENTS, April 2, 2017
https://www.gringotree.com/ecuadors-...-requirements/

There is nothing about the tone of your post that makes me think you are serious in any way. It is clear you have zero research on retiring to Ecuador. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Thanks
It's been a hot spot for well over 20 years. I visited Ecuador back in 1997, and there were American retirees there.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You need a visa to live in Ecuador. Instead of fantasizing, you might want to look at this -

ECUADOR’S NEW VISA RULES AND REQUIREMENTS, April 2, 2017
https://www.gringotree.com/ecuadors-...-requirements/

There is nothing about the tone of your post that makes me think you are serious in any way. It is clear you have zero research on retiring to Ecuador. Good luck.
I have read that before and doesn't affect my decision should I want to move there. As I stated before I have not visited Ecuador and that would be a first step before a move there became more serious. I have visited and stayed in Costa Rica for short periods of time. Thanks for replying.

Last edited by Beach Sportsfan; 06-06-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 18,167 times
I visited Quito and found to be very pretty but absolutly crime ridden. We could not even ride the buses or tram because we were immediately surrounded and a man had his hand in my husband's pocket. I didn't feel it was a safe place at all. We also went to Banos and liked the town but not the aggressive stray dogs that roam the streets. When we were taking the public bus to the devils cauldron(a local waterfall) the bus was filled with the most disgusting, ill behaved school children. One of them through an empty plastic bottle and it hit my in the face. This is the character of the ecuadorian people. I find some of them to be rude money grubbers and a few were ok. I traveled in Egypt for several months in 2016 and never had the things happen in that country that I did in Ecuador. You might want to look at retiring in Crete, Greece, It is a much better value. The greeks are wonderful. We rent a apartment for 250.00 euros a month. Forget retiring in Ecuador..I couldn't imagine being there more than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas