Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
You keep saying this yet 1) you fail to realize that Yoruba religion is not the only religion in Africa that has been transplanted to the Americas and 2) you repeatedly ignore Louisiana Voodoo. Last time I checked, Voodoo have loas and Louisiana is in the South.

With all due respect, how much do you know about African American history or culture?

And in regards to the term African-American, it was accepted and popularized by African Americas as a replaced for terms like colored, Negro, or Afro-American. It generally refers to all Americas of African ancestry or who are black and specifically refers to the 40 plus million strong ethnic group of Americans of African slave descent.

BTW Raven Symone has been considered a joke for quite some time in black communities.

Because Lousiana Voodoo is not practiced by over 99% of Southern Blacks, and over 99% of Southern Blacks don't know what LOAS are.

To claim that the New Orleans is representative of the South is to portray and a completely inaccurate picture of the South.

And generally people don't just say the South. My family is from Alabama, I have lived there, and I've been in Mississippi, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Floridas enough to know Louisiana voodoo has NOTHING to do with these populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Santeria is derived mainly from the Yoruba religion, which comes from the Yoruba people of southwest Nigeria. Its basically the Yoruba religion strongly mixed with Catholicalism, or in other words its hidden under Catholic symbols, due to slaves practicing their religion in secrecy and not getting caught by slave masters they acted like their was worshipping the Catholic saints, but really it was Yoruba orishas (gods) disguised as saints. It also has elements of other pagan West African religions and the native Taino religion. But its largely Yoruba. It is similar to Vudu (but less popular and that started from the Fon religion in Benin).

And it was developed in Cuba by slaves in the 1600s and 1700s. It is still strongly practiced there to this day. It can also be seen in lesser amounts in other Spanish speaking countries with high amounts of African descendants, including Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, & Colombia. As well as in the US by Cuban & Puerto Rican im/migrants in Miami, NYC, Tampa, Orlando, Boston, & Philly for example. Groups like Mexicans, Peruvians, Argentians do not practice Santeria (a form of West African witchcraft), what they practice is Native American witchcraft from the Aztecs, Mayans, & Incas, totally different.
With the exception of Northwestern Argentina there was never any historic presence of Incas in Argentina.

Peru and Mexico do have Black populations. Clearly these are not Black majority countries, but it would be inaccurate to say they have no Black populations. It's possible that you may have some sort of African based religion among the Black populations in those countries, but for that kind of information you'd have to speak to Black people from those countries.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:06 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because Lousiana Voodoo is not practiced by over 99% of Southern Blacks, and over 99% of Southern Blacks don't know what LOAS are.

To claim that the New Orleans is representative of the South is to portray and a completely inaccurate picture of the South.

And generally people don't just say the South. My family is from Alabama, I have lived there, and I've been in Mississippi, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Floridas enough to know Louisiana voodoo has NOTHING to do with these populations.
Another strawman.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ......

Quote:

Hold on now? You are from Alabama originally ? Yikes. I have seriously never heard any nice from anyone black or a visbile minoring regarding living in Alabama. My co-worker's brother who is East Indian and married a White American from there and literally had to move out of the state because they kept on getting harassed and threated by KKK members. Also agree with you point. New Orleans seems to be in a catergory all on its own. I never got the impression that any of the other states with black american had any other similar religious type practices.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
There is nothing like the orishas in the southern US, unless you count Florida which has a lot of Latin American and Caribbean immigrants.

So your theory is that black Americans are just chocolate coated Englishmen.

Funny thing is I watch the various TV food channels and when they described Southern food WHITE chefs are commenting on how African influences are present in Southern cooking as are influences from other regions. This because most of the plantation house cooking was done by black women.

On another program it was noted that the music of the Appalachians incorporated some African influences, this being a syncopated beat and the banjo.

Yes the banjo did NOT come from Ireland.

Its rather interesting how some white SOUTHERNERS can admit that there are African elements in Southern culture and here you are as a BLACK man screaming how exclusively EUROPEAN you are. Really tragic!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Another strawman.
I don't know how many times we tell him that it is NOT praying to African deities is the issue. Its the way that black Americans in black churches tend to practice Christianity.

This man should go to a Nigerian church packed with Africans and come back and regale us about the orishas. The style of worship being definitely African, and not dissimilar from black American churches either.

But yes for a man who is ashamed of his African ancestry and roams the world to get away from black people (he boasts that he prefers to visit places without too many blacks) I see where these ideas come from.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I don't know how many times we tell him that it is NOT praying to African deities is the issue. Its the way that black Americans in black churches tend to practice Christianity.

This man should go to a Nigerian church packed with Africans and come back and regale us about the orishas. The style of worship being definitely African, and not dissimilar from black American churches either.

But yes for a man who is ashamed of his African ancestry and roams the world to get away from black people (he boasts that he prefers to visit places without too many blacks) I see where these ideas come from.
He's now resorted to strawmen, ad hominems, and purely emotional [typed] outbursts. Weird.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hold on now? You are from Alabama originally ? Yikes. I have seriously never heard any nice from anyone black or a visbile minoring regarding living in Alabama. My co-worker's brother who is East Indian and married a White American from there and literally had to move out of the state because they kept on getting harassed and threated by KKK members. Also agree with you point. New Orleans seems to be in a catergory all on its own. I never got the impression that any of the other states with black american had any other similar religious type practices.
Not everywhere in Alabama is that way. The state is 25% of African origin. It just depends on where you live. I know a host of people who attended an HBCU down there and nothing along those lines happened to them.

New Orleans is different. However, the Gullah, another distinct group of African-Americans in the Carolinas, as have Orisha practitioners. They maintain an entire village.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not everywhere in Alabama is that way. The state is 25% of African origin. It just depends on where you live. I know a host of people who attended an HBCU down there and nothing along those lines happened to them.

New Orleans is different. However, the Gullah, another distinct group of African-Americans in the Carolinas, as have Orisha practitioners. They maintain an entire village.

Good to know. Honestly.... I seriously have NO desire to be waudering around through the American South. I dont care how good that Fried Chicken might be ! It could be very bias interpretation but "Red Neck's" or "Hilly Billies" or whatever the slang is make me free really uncomfortable. Plus all those guns flying around so freely and all that open space. Scary ! The media really does a great job of making people from that region of the USA seem pretty nuts. It is likely not all true .... but when I think of the south this is what comes to mind .....

It just sounds so scary. This was not that long ago.
When you grow up hearing stories of what happend there .... you fairly or not just sort of developed a certain level of fear about the place.

Other then the crazy high fat content ... it makes you want to pass on the food so you don't end up hanging from some tree or getting shot from some random crazy racist that might pull the whole stand their ground nonsense if you accidently waudering on the their yard or looked at them the wrong way.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Good to know. Honestly.... I seriously have NO desire to be waudering around through the American South. I dont care how good that Fried Chicken might be ! It could be very bias interpretation but "Red Neck's" or "Hilly Billies" or whatever the slang is make me free really uncomfortable. Plus all those guns flying around so freely and all that open space. Scary ! The media really does a great job of making people from that region of the USA seem pretty nuts. It is likely not all true .... but when I think of the south this is what comes to mind .....

It just sounds so scary. This was not that long ago.
When you grow up hearing stories of what happend there .... you fairly or not just sort of developed a certain level of fear about the place.

Other then the crazy high fat content ... it makes you want to pass on the food so you don't end up hanging from some tree or getting shot from some random crazy racist that might pull the whole stand their ground nonsense if you accidently waudering on the their yard or looked at them the wrong way.
This made me LOL! But that's not exactly inaccurate. Some areas are more concerning than others. The more rural areas are the ones you sometimes have to watch. The urban areas and suburbs aren't usually as bad. But some of the food is really good. I remember the first time I tasted creamed corn...changed my life!!! Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas