Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Sometimes Americans and others in places like NYC have a hard time understanding that people that you meet don't necessarily represent their home country. In NYC you'll meet Colombians and Dominicans who haven't been home in 40 years and in whose kids have never visited their home countries, so some of them will tell hellish stories based on events decades ago. Of course I have direct experience in these countries, and these people are shocked to find out I love traveling in Latin America, speak Spanish, and have done academic work in the region.

These people probably have influenced certain posters, including CaribNY.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course. They have no visible African or non European traits. They're definitely white in that case.

So white would mean anyone who has an European appearance. They aren't necessarily
"full" Caucasian. Even in the US, some white people do DNA tests and find out they have Black ancestors. But if the person looks white that is what people will call them.

And there are definitely people who look mixed, as you can see the features of two or more races in them. Definitely this is common in much of Latin America. But of course there are mixed people who look more, Black, more White, more Native, or more whatever.

Example President Obama's daughters are technically mixed. Their father is half white, their mother Michelle Obama is Black but not all the way Black (she has a few white ancestors). How do you see Obama's daughters?
Most people are more mixed then they think.
This should be a non-issue at this point.
Unless someone comes from an isolated villiage in the middle of no where then chances are they are mixed.
In the Americas it is near impossible that anyone is pure anything unless they literally were in a hidden village in the Amazon and just discovered.

I long for the day that someone can tell me they are pure American or Brazilian so I can get a good laugh .

Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM

990 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Of course. They have no visible African or non European traits. They're definitely white in that case.

So white would mean anyone who has an European appearance. They aren't necessarily
"full" Caucasian. Even in the US, some white people do DNA tests and find out they have Black ancestors. But if the person looks white that is what people will call them.

And there are definitely people who look mixed, as you can see the features of two or more races in them. Definitely this is common in much of Latin America. But of course there are mixed people who look more, Black, more White, more Native, or more whatever.

Example President Obama's daughters are technically mixed. Their father is half white, their mother Michelle Obama is Black but not all the way Black (she has a few white ancestors). How do you see Obama's daughters?

I searched for their photos because I had never seen them. The girls look clearly mulatto as their father and in Michele’s nose is possible see white influence.
They are typically the black/mulatto people found in Brazilian.

In Brazil is not common people tell yourself or others as white guy or black guy or mixed guy or Asian guy or whatever like in the USA.
Only is common say be descent of some nationality when someone ask about the different last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Most people are more mixed then they think.
This should be a non-issue at this point.
Unless someone comes from an isolated villiage in the middle of no where then chances are they are mixed.
In the Americas it is near impossible that anyone is pure anything unless they literally were in a hidden village in the Amazon and just discovered.

I long for the day that someone can tell me they are pure American or Brazilian so I can get a good laugh .
Not totally true. Latin America is a big continent for example in my country Brazil what happened was that in the center southern of the country was not colonized until the begin of XIX century when Brazil become independent.
The country in this time had only 4,8 millions people being 1,5 millions slaves concentrated in Rio de Janeiro and Northeast the first colonies.
In western Sao Paulo State when coffee plantation has started the slavery already had over and no Brazilian settled there yet.
The farm aristocracy started open their coffee’s farms and how without slaves Brazil didn’t have enough workers and now they were speaking about millions they opened recruit workers offices in Europe for recruit workers. So the normal in this areas was have few Brazilians land owner and family and millions of Italians, Portuguese, Spanish and few others Europeans and Japanese workers.
Nowadays the small, medium cities in countryside of São Paulo state north Paraná and South Minas Gerais are yet populated for 90% of the descent of these millions of workers who came here one century ago.

In Sao Paulo capital city and big cities of the metropolitan area and coast the situation is different of course, because when Europeans started come here there were already 30.000 Brazilians in Sao Paulo city, and recently, emigrated people from whole the country here but most part of the city was built by people who came here from the countryside of Sao Paulo state who knows where all their grandparents came from because they came in this recent immigration wave.

In others parts of the country was worse in borders areas they settled thousands of Germans and others colonies of Polish and Venetians between 1820 and 1880 and LEFT THEY ALONE THERE for whole one century.

In 1930 there were millions of Brazilian/Germans in these areas who didn’t speak a single word of Portuguese. Simply their colonies were growing and growing and their children immigrating for newer empty lands.

Getulio Vargas a nationalist president started a war for the ‘’brazilization’’ of these people. Their govern prohibit they speak German and Italian including arresting who was founding speaking these languages, but they didn’t know Portuguese.
The immigrants schools was closed or changed for teachers sent from Rio de Janeiro only Portuguese speaker.
Another reason for it was that Brazil in WWII was in war against German, Japan and Italy although after we knew that how this people came before Germany and Italy unification as countries they didn’t feel German or Italian at all but from countries that no longer, there were no more.

I read about similar histories in big American countries like Canada, USA and Argentina.

Last edited by EVANGELISTTI; 07-13-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
I searched for their photos because I had never seen them. The girls look clearly mulatto as their father and in Michele’s nose is possible see white influence.
They are typically the black/mulatto people found in Brazilian.

In Brazil is not common people tell yourself or others as white guy or black guy or mixed guy or Asian guy or whatever like in the USA.
Only is common say be descent of some nationality when someone ask about the different last name.

Not totally true. Latin America is a big continent for example in my country Brazil what happened was that in the center southern of the country was not colonized until the begin of XIX century when Brazil become independent.
The country in this time had only 4,8 millions people being 1,5 millions slaves concentrated in Rio de Janeiro and Northeast the first colonies.
In western Sao Paulo State when coffee plantation has started the slavery already had over and no Brazilian settled there yet.
The farm aristocracy started open their coffee’s farms and how without slaves Brazil didn’t have enough workers and now they were speaking about millions they opened recruit workers offices in Europe for recruit workers. So the normal in this areas was have few Brazilians land owner and family and millions of Italians, Portuguese, Spanish and few others Europeans and Japanese workers.
Nowadays the small, medium cities in countryside of São Paulo state north Paraná and South Minas Gerais are yet populated for 90% of the descent of these millions of workers who came here one century ago.

In Sao Paulo capital city and big cities of the metropolitan area and coast the situation is different of course, because when Europeans started come here there were already 30.000 Brazilians in Sao Paulo city, and recently, emigrated people from whole the country here but most part of the city was built by people who came here from the countryside of Sao Paulo state who knows where all their grandparents came from because they came in this recent immigration wave.

In others parts of the country was worse in borders areas they settled thousands of Germans and others colonies of Polish and Venetians between 1820 and 1880 and LEFT THEY ALONE THERE for whole one century.

In 1930 there were millions of Brazilian/Germans in these areas who didn’t speak a single word of Portuguese. Simply their colonies were growing and growing and their children immigrating for newer empty lands.

Getulio Vargas a nationalist president started a war for the ‘’brazilization’’ of these people. Their govern prohibit they speak German and Italian including arresting who was founding speaking these languages, but they didn’t know Portuguese.
The immigrants schools was closed or changed for teachers sent from Rio de Janeiro only Portuguese speaker.
Another reason for it was that Brazil in WWII was in war against German, Japan and Italy although after we knew that how this people came before Germany and Italy unification as countries they didn’t feel German or Italian at all but from countries that no longer, there were no more.

I read about similar histories in big American countries like Canada, USA and Argentina.
You listed people from like 4 different countries. Italians are not Spainish and Spanish people are not Portuguese and Japanes people are neither of the 3 other groups. You can't start off with a mix of four and then claim they are now a homogenous unmixed group of people.

Also what makes anyone think Spanish, Portuguese or Italian people are not mixed in the first place? The coast of Africa is just across the water. People moved between these areas pretty often. In terms of appearance there is no homogenous look of people from those 3 European countries. People have been around for a long long long time. Lots of people moving all over this earth. This pure bread fair tale is not a real thing and genetically speaking not that greatest thing.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM

990 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You listed people from like 4 different countries. Italians are not Spainish and Spanish people are not Portuguese and Japanes people are neither of the 3 other groups. You can't start off with a mix of four and then claim they are now a homogenous unmixed group of people.

Also what makes anyone think Spanish, Portuguese or Italian people are not mixed in the first place? The coast of Africa is just across the water. People moved between these areas pretty often. In terms of appearance there is no homogenous look of people from those 3 European countries. People have been around for a long long long time. Lots of people moving all over this earth. This pure bread fair tale is not a real thing and genetically speaking not that greatest thing.
Yes the average white Brazilian is a mix of many Europeans nationalities and it was really the goal but how we are talking about mixed people in the sense of intercontinental or tri-racial I thought you said people lie when say don’t have this kind of admixture.

If we back in the history Europeans countries also were born since the blend of many different tribes, conquerors and conquered, European slaved in medieval Europe from the losers tribes in wars was the rule. Nothing new what happened in America but happened in globalized levels

Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Yes the average white Brazilian is a mix of many Europeans nationalities and it was really the goal but how we are talking about mixed people in the sense of intercontinental or tri-racial I thought you said people lie when say don’t have this kind of admixture.

If we back in the history Europeans countries also were born since the blend of many different tribes, conquerors and conquered, European slaved in medieval Europe from the losers tribes in wars was the rule. Nothing new what happened in America but happened in globalized levels
Exactly ... they were already mixed before they got there and should be thankful for continuing to mix their genetics. Lots of inbreeding in the old days .

Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Brazil has got more people of African descent, maybe even Venezuela.
Colombia is ahead of Venezuela in this regard.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 PM

321 posts, read 333,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Colombia is ahead of Venezuela in this regard.
There are many black people in Venezuela and Venzuelans from all races get involved in black practices such as santeria.

They mostly live in coastal areas of Venezuela.

A lot of them are mixed, though. African admixture in Venezuela's population is high I reckon as it is a country that revolves around the coast.

During colonial times it received a bunch of black slaves and I even read persecutions against non-black populations took place in Venezuela at some time.

Chavez looking people are not uncommon or unheard of.

Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WWQyPziDc

Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 PM

321 posts, read 333,229 times
I forgot to say that Venezuelan word 'cambur' comes from Africa. It means banana.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
A person from say Central America may deny that anyone in their country speaks Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs. But if you look up statistics from the government, you'll find that there are Nahuatl speakers. That person is speaking of their section of the country, where perhaps there aren't any Nahuatl speakers.

Depending on where you live in the US, you'll see few Black people and there are some White Americans who might genuinely say the US doesn't have many Blacks or that they've seen few Black people. You can't expect a person to know the whole country or have the experience or the interest of all groups in a country.

Clearly in the era of Trump many White Americans don't care for diversity, and having a Black President has lead to a massive backlash. Trump, an anti immigrant racist who has said plenty of disparaging things about inner cities (read code word for Black people) may even get reelected.

And somehow I doubt Trump or his people are knowledgeable or care much about African American culture.
I disagree about the backlash b/c he was black. Obama simply did more for his LGBT backers than any other group. Many ordinary people in the black community (you never hear about on TV media), say he did nothing for them. He did bring up some discrimination social events for blacks but mainly helped his Hollywood crowd (90% white and filled with LGBT supporters). My relatives got upset with the constant major street closures during prime time hours (La Brea or La Cienega) because Obama was in town attending Hollywood events. The guy believes he is a celebrity appearing on late night TV shows and doing dinner galas. Meanwhile, blacks have suffered with higher unemployment than any other group under Obama, a black President. That is not progress. I like Obama but wish he did more, and he could have.

There were millions of people (white and blacks) who voted for Obama and liked him too but saw no benefit from his two terms. So, you want them to vote for Hillary and get more of the same and someone who is blatantly corrupt? Millions of people didn't want her to be corrupt but you can't dismiss it. Even if she was caught, as a true narcissist, it would be spun. So her former supporters in the blue wall states took a chance with a true rookie, who is embarrassing, to see if things will change. People need jobs, not racism or being labeled a racist just because they switch their vote from being a democrat.

I agree with you that Trump doesn't care about inner cities. But do you think Obama really did? Look at what happened to Chicago. Seriously.... They all say this or that and don't do anything. Look at Maxine Waters. She lives in Beverly Hills yet represents south central LA.. I grew up in an adjacent city and many of us 35+ year old blacks feel the same way. People don't care who is President. All they want is a better life for themselves and family. No different than a politician I guess. They will all say anything to get a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas