U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

758 posts, read 2,592,137 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any input about Belize? I'll be going there in August for my honeymoon (gonna be HOT). We have our airfare booked but nothing else, just a tenative idea of what/where we want to go.

We aren't the touristy, sit on the beach and be served drinks type of couple. If we wanted that we would do an all inclusive thing in mexico, or florida keys for that matter. A beach is a beach....I want something off the beaten path, to experience different cultures, and not feel like I'm still in the states.

Any places we HAVE to go or see?

Does anyone live there? We are currently "joking" about trying to move there and at the moment we aren't sersious but I could see us in that boat in a few years. I've been to costa rica and if Belize is anything like that I won't mind it one bit....once I get acclimated to the warm weather. New England winters are a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,458,243 times
You are going to love Belize! Where are you staying the mainland or an island? We stayed at San Pedro in Ramon's village right by the water. I recommend going to Altun Ha ruins, going watertubing in the jungle (they have those tours almost everywhere). But the altun ha ruin tour was great. We went by boat thru the jungle and ate lunch in the jungle at a spa!! Then onto the ruins. It is VERY hot and humid in Belize but I am sure you will enjoy it.
Everyone speaks English of course and everyone is so friendly. Keep in mind that we stayed on an island not on the mainland.
Enjoy

Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,055,422 times
You will love it. It's stunning.

I would recommend you get "the lonely planet" and "rough guide" guides as they are the best for the more adventurous traveller. Make sure you visit at least some of the fabulous Mayan Archaeological sites and do some trek in the Rainforest too. Eco-tourism is becoming quite big in Belize now and there are many companies which offer "adventures" which are light on the conscience and good for local communities.

Have a fabulous Honeymoon.

Belize Travel Guide and Travel Information - Lonely Planet
Belize tourism, Belize vacation, cheap holiday vacation tours.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks, I have the lonely planet and the Fodors books. We were going to spend a few days all over. Definitely a few on Ambergeris Caye for snorkeling and FISHING for tarpon (she actually wanted to go....I know why I'm marrying her ), then spend a few nights on one of the smaller cayes to relax (with a little fishing mixed in when she's sleeping ). After 5 days of so on the islands we were going to head inland to San Ignacio for the rainforest stuff. We want to take a day trip and head to Corzal in Guatemala for the ruins (thie biggest Mayan City), and spend a couple of days doing the rainforest float, cave, hike, or climb or whatever stuff.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,521,739 times
For the record: the official language is English although knowing Spanish would be useful due to many immigrants (both legal and illegal) there from Mexico and Guatemala.

From what I heard; it is mind boggling when a group of Mayans in traditional garb come out speaking essentially British English.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,181,766 times
I lived in Belize for 3 and half years (in San Ignacio) and I loved every minute of it. I am sure you will have a great time.

I find Belize quite different from Costa Rica, which you have already visited, in a way it has a rougher edge. Costa Rica is also wealthier and with a better infrastucture. Although I left Central America 10 years ago and I am sure things have develped since then.
If you had visited some of the Costa Rican towns on the Atlantic coast then you will probably recognize the houses on stilts and the very mixed population.

However I think Belize is one of a kind. It is a blend of Hispanic, Central America and the Carribean and Maya. There are up to 8 different ethnic groups sharing a relatively small land and that alone makes it a fascinating country.

Your itinerary seems very good and I am sure all the guide books you have will point out to you the best places to go.

I am glad you are going to a smaller Island after Ambergeris Caye. Personally I do not like places full of tourists. We went once to Tobacco Caye, which is almast the size of a back yard and has just few bungalows on the sand and is sorrouded by coral reef. It was very basic but great fun!!!

An interesting place to visit is also the Baboon Sanctuary, not too far from Belize City. Is an area where many howling monkeys live and if you go there at the right time of the day you can hear them making their distinctive howling noise. They are aslo very friendly and when the Sanctuary guide call them they arrive and you can feed them and touch them.

And while you are in San Ignacio you should go and visit Clarissa Falls. It is a very small but lovely resort with a couple of thutched roof cabañas by the river. The little restaurant serves very nice food and you can also rent canoes to go down the river. It is very simple but nice.

Have a lovely time and a great honey moon.

PS: as for deciding to go and live there, it is wise for you to go and get to know the country first. Maybe you should visit more than once. Being a tourist is very different than living in a country and Belize, like any country for that matter, has its own problems, issues and idiosyncrasies.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record: the official language is English although knowing Spanish would be useful due to many immigrants (both legal and illegal) there from Mexico and Guatemala.

From what I heard; it is mind boggling when a group of Mayans in traditional garb come out speaking essentially British English.
You are absolutely right!
And it is even stranger when in a typical Central American bus you see a Mayan couple speaking in creole, which is the language most spoken on the streets, a mixture of English and Carribean dialects.
Or when on the road you see a cart pulled by horses with some traditional Menonites on who speak still their German based language.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the tips....the mix is exactly why I want to go there.

As for moving there, like I said, right now it is mostly a joke. IF we actually get serious about it we'll do exhaustive research.

Hutch, just curious what did you do for a job when you lived down there?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 AM

My husband is an Anglican priest and he was the parish priest of St.Andrew's Church in San Ignacio, on Burns Avenue, one of the main streets. The original church was a lot nicer but full of termites. So a year or so after we left it had to be pulled down and they built a new one. But our heart is still there with all the people we left behind. So if you pass by, please say "hallo" to it from us (A waving of the hand would do).

Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 AM

540 posts, read 876,470 times
Just to add a couple things to what has already been posted:

Check out tubing through the rainforest. We had a blast. The rivers go through a lot of caves and ruins. Defnintely worth it, especially if you are already planning sometime in the rainforest.

We rented a house right on the water on San Pedro. It was a few years back, but at the time the house was not much more than the hotels and was much nicer.

It seems like a touristy type thing, but the parasailing off San Pedro was awesome...The water is incredibly clear and full of sharks and rays that can be seen from up high.

I assume you don't dive, since you're talking about snorkling, but if you do dive, the Great Blue Hole is incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas