Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,998,927 times

Advertisements

If ten to fifteen years ago you would've told me that Mexico would've been the next Colombia x2 with ISIS style be-headings, I would've told you you're crazy. I remember visiting the border town of Reynosa as a kid when it was relatively calm, but now people tell me that they wouldn't go there if there was buried treasure all over.

What happened and when did this happen? I get that a lot of the violence is isolated to a the areas controlled by the cartels and that Mexico isn't totally lawless. In fact from the videos I've seen and talking to Mexican ex-pats, the country has gotten richer and more developed. Immigration from Mexico has actually slowed and a lot of Mexicans are going back too, so the country isn't in failed state territory.

But the crime they say is out of control in some areas. I just could have never pictured Mexico or the Mexican people descending to that level of violence. I just didn't think it could happen but it's happening.

Which is strange since I hear that Colombia is no longer the drug capitol of the world and that they're fairing a lot better too.

So what is with this contrast of a rising economy and developing Mexico, and the dangerous narco world of the cartel controlled areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,412,180 times
When the Colombian cartels weakened.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 PM

10,885 posts, read 7,352,074 times
I think Mexico's big mistake was moving next to the U.S., with all those drug addicts clamoring for goodies.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,314,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
When the Colombian cartels weakened.
This. It was a slow process beginning in the mid-90s, and since then the two countries have went on two completely opposite directions

Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,291,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If ten to fifteen years ago you would've told me that Mexico would've been the next Colombia x2 with ISIS style be-headings, I would've told you you're crazy. I remember visiting the border town of Reynosa as a kid when it was relatively calm, but now people tell me that they wouldn't go there if there was buried treasure all over.

What happened and when did this happen? I get that a lot of the violence is isolated to a the areas controlled by the cartels and that Mexico isn't totally lawless. In fact from the videos I've seen and talking to Mexican ex-pats, the country has gotten richer and more developed. Immigration from Mexico has actually slowed and a lot of Mexicans are going back too, so the country isn't in failed state territory.

But the crime they say is out of control in some areas. I just could have never pictured Mexico or the Mexican people descending to that level of violence. I just didn't think it could happen but it's happening.

Which is strange since I hear that Colombia is no longer the drug capitol of the world and that they're fairing a lot better too.

So what is with this contrast of a rising economy and developing Mexico, and the dangerous narco world of the cartel controlled areas?

Things changed when the original cocaine routes into the US through Florida and the Gulf of Mexico were effectively shut down (much more effective surveillance) towards the end of the 1980s.
The Colombian cartels had to make deals with the Mexicans to move the stuff north through the border using the same routes and similar methods of the Cannabis trade . The Mexicans asked to be paid in cocaine rather than dollars and did become increasingly powerful leading to the creation of their own cartels.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,935,390 times
Quote:

Colombia grows more coca than ever. Essentially Mexico is the easiest route in which to smuggle cocaine into the US.

Mexico also descended into violence due to the war on drugs. Making drugs illegal and threatening people with jail or putting them in jail does not deter use or sales.

The Mexican government needs to legalize drugs and so do other governments throughout the world, including the US.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,998,927 times
Would the cartels be ok with being legit companies? I doubt it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,935,390 times
Quote:
Would the cartels be ok with being legit companies? I doubt it.
Yes. Alcohol was legalized in the US. Probihbtion dramatically increased organized crime in the US, which is a major reason why alcohol was made legal.

Also where legit companies are free to sell drugs and where it is taxes, it dramatically takes money and power from organized crime. Which is why weed is become legal in many places. The war against drugs has failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas