Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

We have similar expressions in Trinidad. It is very common to hear someone say things like " Salvery days are over" when someone is being too demanding or working them too hard. The use of directly referring to someone being "black" is not used though. People saying this can be of any skin colour in Trinidad.

I think sterotypes about physical atributes of people that self identify as black are humerous at best as not all people that self identify as black have the same physical build similar to people of any other skin colour. This is just a perfect example of people seeing what they want to see. Also more humerous is the fact that most people from the the Americas are mixed how any of this even makes sense or is relavent confuses me.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Trabajando como una negra is a synonimous of being exploited. For example, I'm "trabajando como una negra" for such and such company and they pay a misery.

In my culture which is Portuguese I have heard that said among previous generations and that saying was followed up by another saying that went something like this. "I am the daughter of white people so I also have the right to rest" I'm not sure why some of you think this is a positive saying you're deluding yourselves.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
In my culture which is Portuguese I have heard that said among previous generations and that saying was followed up by another saying that went something like this. "I am the daughter of white people so I also have the right to rest" I'm not sure why some of you think this is a positive saying you're deluding yourselves.
OMG !
I could not ever imagine having the nerve to say that out loud.
I could picture someone beating me to death for saying something like that out loud.

Those seems like "last words".

Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
From the looks of things, this thread is going down the same path other similar ones. Namely, Americans projecting their sensitivity to something that is simply not offensive in Latin America. Its not offensive because its not meant to be and never was.

Its like calling someone gordo, which means fat. In Latin America people even nickname individual fat people are gordo and no one is offended by it, do that to a fat person in the USA and you better have good pairs of shoes to help you in the run for your life! lol

A saying that I have heard from Spanish Caribbean people is trabajando como un buey, a buey being a bull. Again, no one is offended by this at all. In the USA I'm sure half the country will feel offended by that, but we are not talking about the USA but rather Latin America.

Deep down inside I knew this thread was going to do down this path. I guess I've been participating in this forum for way too long. lol

Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
OMG !
I could not ever imagine having the nerve to say that out loud.
I could picture someone beating me to death for saying something like that out loud.

Those seems like "last words".
That's because you're from a multi ethnic culture. People who repeated those words did so without putting much thought into them they were passed down among the generations. All black women had long ceased to exist and were absorbed into the general population hundreds of years ago. I can understand why they chose white men to father their children generation after generation they wanted to grant their descendants the right to rest and be free of molestation without any recourse among other things.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Default .....

Quote:
That's because you're from a multi ethnic culture. People who repeated those words did so without putting much thought into them they were passed down among the generations. All black women had long ceased to exist and were absorbed into the general population hundreds of years ago. I can understand why they chose white men to father their children generation after generation they wanted to grant their descendants the right to rest and be free of molestation without any recourse among other things.
I totally get what you are saying.
I know many people that come from countries that are not multi ethnic and some of the stuff they comes out of their mouths is jaw dropping. I have had some freind from very wealth families from the India, Pakistan, The Middle East and Eastern Europe and some of the things they do by habbit when they are new hear are horric in terms of political correctness. I have to school my husband a lot when he first got here as he is from a place that is not multicultural. My horror might also be related to incme differences too. They often don't realize I come from a lower middle class/ income family and might be letting stuff slip that could be more likely be said between very wealthy people anywhere.

I alway laugh about the idea of white nationals protesting in Toronto. We are so multicultural. It would literally be like a mouse entering a room full of lions that are peacefully resting and stiring up trouble.

Regarding the culture/ historical reference part.....

I would argue that marrying a wealth man may provide more economic perks.... but are more often then not they make horrible husbands ex increases risks for adultery due to a higher sense of intitlement and more likely to be controlling.

The only reason I have anything really nice is because I have my own money.
If you have your husband poking around in your spending and having a saying in all your transactions they likely wont be so willing to spend money of higher end designer bads, shoes, jewelry and other things women usually tend to value more then men etc. I am wearing accessories that cost more then my husband's car..... he DOES NOT want to know that lol or at least I don't want him to know that !

Last edited by klmrocks; 09-05-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Interesting...

I've never heard that saying, maybe because I have no connections to Portugal. Anyway, I searched online in English, Spanish, and Portuguese and, ironically, in none of those languages does a single reference pops up. Not in forums, not in studies, not in articles, in nothing. How can this absense be possible?

Am I to believe that you made it up just for this thread?

If not, care to explain why there's nothing on that anywhere? It's quite odd.

I really hope you are not lying, because that would make what could had been an informative thread into a completely unreliable source, where people will not know to 100% certainty what corresponds to truth and what corresponds to an agenda.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Interesting...

I've never heard that saying, maybe because I have no connections to Portugal. Anyway, I searched online in English, Spanish, and Portuguese and, ironically, in none of those languages does a single reference pops up. Not in forums, not in studies, not in articles, in nothing. How can this absense be possible?

Am I to believe that you made it up just for this thread?

If not, care to explain why there's nothing on that anywhere? It's quite odd.

I really hope you are not lying, because that would make what could had been an informative thread into a completely unreliable source, where people will not know to 100% certainty what corresponds to truth and what corresponds to an agenda.
Actually no I don't make stuff up for threads perhaps that is something you engage in but not me. I have heard that phrase used many times among people from where I am from as a matter of fact I heard it last about ten years ago from someone in their 50's and she thought nothing of it. Yes you can be assured that slaves once existed there was a whipping post located right next to the church and the courthouse thankfully the last of the house slaves were freed in the 1700's. Amazing that you think it has to have been documented in writing to be real. I guess this is perhaps the first time it is documented.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Op this is dumb. Trabajando como un negro does mean "working like a slave." But even people in Latin America don't say that in mixed company...because it is rude. Are you being rude on purpose? Was the forced kidnapping and enslavement of thousands of people a joke to you? Wow no manners...

Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
It definitely is a phrase said in bad taste and many people are aware nowadays that it's offensive which is why it's becoming dated and used less & less. However, you're always going to get the either ignorant or unconcerned person that will blurt it out in non-black company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas