Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times

Advertisements

Really feeling scared for the Caribbean Island effected by this current Hurricane. Bigger countries like the USA are better equipped to handle stuff like this and can bounce back a lot faster. Infrastructure in the Caribbean is general is not usually as good and it looks like places are getting smashed up real bad. Totally scary. Lots of these Island rely heavily on Tourism and if there are no places to stay or visit the economy is crushed.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really feeling scared for the Caribbean Island effected by this current Hurricane. Bigger countries like the USA are better equipped to handle stuff like this and can bounce back a lot faster. Infrastructure in the Caribbean is general is not usually as good and it looks like places are getting smashed up real bad. Totally scary. Lots of these Island rely heavily on Tourism and if there are no places to stay or visit the economy is crushed.
I'm not sure the US is necessarily better equipped as we saw with Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but you're right that they can bounce back a lot faster.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
The destruction in Barbuda is unreal!

Saint Martin definitely went through hell. The good news is that half the island belongs to France and the other half to The Netherlands, so rebuilding will be quicker there since billions of Euros will flow from Europe.

Puerto Rico (this was one of the least affected islands where the hurricane was felt.)

This is the aftermath in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Video made today. So far this is the largest city affected by this hurricane.

Right now the hurricane is being felt in Dominican Republic, although they are lucky most of the hurricane went north of the island.

Right now in Samana, Dominican Republic.

This is now in Puerto Plata.

This is inland in Santiago. After San Juan, Puerto Rico; Santiago is the second largest city affected by this storm thus far. It has about 1 million people in the city and surrounding area.

Things in Santo Domingo are much calmer (this is the largest city of the Caribbean, almost 4 million people.)

Things are also calm in Punta Cana. Not much damage.

Lastly, this is how things are right now in Turks and Caicos Islands. These guys aren't as lucky as the Dominicans since the storm is getting closer to them.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-07-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 01:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
My thoughts and prayers our with the people of the Caribbean.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM

115 posts, read 98,159 times
My prayers are with the people who are experiencing the disaster.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Frankly, when I watch the news and see the vast destruction, and when climate experts say those events will become the standard in that region, I wonder if there is much of a future for the Caribbean. What is the point in rebuilding an island just to see it being torn apart again a year later? Who will pay for that, insurance companies certainly not anymore, if they ever did. Places like Haiti simply don't have the means to recover, they have not even digested all the previous catastrophes. And being blacks, nobody really cares about them in this racist world, anyway.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
This Brazilian videotaped the preparations in her home island of Saint Martin on Sept 5, the day before the storm arrived. She hasn't posted a new video since then, hope she and her husband are ok.

Anyway, notice how choppy the lake looked (she said she had never seen it like that) and how windy it was even before it got truly cloudy from the storm. It also caught my attention that she and her husband didn't cover their windows with wood panels and, while serious, I found it comical about the towels she put by the window to prevent flooding. Something tells me that their apartment became a huge mess during the storm.

The video is in Portuguese, but she physically show the preparations and even goes outside a few times. Due to that, it's easier to follow along with what she says even if you don't understand Portuguese.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:00 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This Brazilian videotaped the preparations in her home island of Saint Martin on Sept 5, the day before the storm arrived. She hasn't posted a new video since then, hope she and her husband are ok.

Anyway, notice how choppy the lake looked (she said she had never seen it like that) and how windy it was even before it got truly cloudy from the storm. It also caught my attention that she and her husband didn't cover their windows with wood panels and, while serious, I found it comical about the towels she put by the window to prevent flooding. Something tells me that their apartment became a huge mess during the storm.

The video is in Portuguese, but she physically show the preparations and even goes outside a few times. Due to that, it's easier to follow along with what she says even if you don't understand Portuguese.

Hope they're okay. They may have no power, so no computer use.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Frankly, when I watch the news and see the vast destruction, and when climate experts say those events will become the standard in that region, I wonder if there is much of a future for the Caribbean. What is the point in rebuilding an island just to see it being torn apart again a year later? Who will pay for that, insurance companies certainly not anymore, if they ever did. Places like Haiti simply don't have the means to recover, they have not even digested all the previous catastrophes. And being blacks, nobody really cares about them in this racist world, anyway.
It is depressing, but the only way to deal with it is by improving infrastructure. Some areas are simply more prone to natural disasters than others. The Pacific Ring of Fire is another area that is a hotbed of activity, yet it didn't stop humans from developing settlements there.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:03 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,150 times
I had two friends living on St Martin. One came back 4 weeks ago to permanently stay in NL again so he definitely dodged a bullet, but the other one still lives there. His FB page is not been updated since 3 days. Hope he and his family are alright.

My thoughts are with the Caribbean people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas