Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Bogota, Colombia 4 66.67%
Lima, Peru 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times

Advertisements

-Economy/Opportunity (esp. for foreign work)
-Walkability
-Natural Scenery
-Attractions
-Climate
-Safety
-Walkable Neighborhoods
-Transit
-More Unique
-Food
-Anythint Else to Consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
I'm not really sure why many people would choose Bogota over Lima, to be honest. Other than maybe food. I've been to neither, but I know people seem to rave about Bogota consistently while Lima has always seemed to me the type of place you have to go to to get somewhere else. As a tourist anyways.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:42 AM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I like both cities, but Lima is slightly better for me than Bogota. For one, it's on the coast and even though the sea is too cold for swimming, looking at it from the bluff is amazing. The overall vibe of the nicer parts of Lima are more to my liking as well.

For living, I would probably choose Bogota due to its year-round Spring like weather. In Lima it can rain (its more like a drizzle since it never truly rains) for days on end, and the city seem to be foggy/cloudy for much of the year.

-Economy/Opportunity (esp. for foreign work)
About the same for both. It does depend on the field, though.

-Walkability
Bogota is better than Lima.

-Natural Scenery
Bogota

-Attractions
About the same

-Climate
Bogota

-Safety
Lima, in Bogota they still get terrorist attacks from time to time.

-Transit
Bogota

-Food
Lima

Lima:

Bogota:

Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your thoughts! I am curious about both because they seem to be the two most eminent cities in the upper half of the continent and are in a similar class when it comes to population and GDP. Re: Lima being more of a place you go through to get to other places, I think Cusco/Machu Picchu/the Amazon and their tourists have a lot to do with that. Not that Colombia doesn't have cool stuff too, it definitely does, but nothing perhaps as noteworthy/famous to outsiders from a numbers standpoint I don't think. So, people go through Lima to get to other world class destinations, whereas probably more people go to Bogota just to see Bogota. I think an advantage Bogota has also is access from US. It's the only place on another continent from the US that I'd say is actually practical for people to see in a long weekend trip (or longer). It's a less than 4 hr. flight, and RT airfare can be had for <$300

I don't really know a lot about either city so I wanted to figure out more, but want to see both at some point.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM

So Antonio, to be clear, you like Bogota for living, Lima for visiting then? Just making sure.

It seems like Bogota has numerous advantages for a visitor if it has more walkability and better transit especially. A lot of other variances would seem to be unique differences between the cities, for example, Bogota seems to have a better European style core to offer visitors (La Candelaria), but at the same time Lima has a super cool pre Columbian pyramid within it's city boundaries. Then, like you said, if it's a coastal setting you want, it's Lima, but if it's a mountain setting you want of course, Bogota.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Economy/Opportunity: Don't know honestly, but I think maybe Colombia is a bit easier. Peru does have higher median salaries
Walkability: Bogota
Natural Scenery: Bogota easily, green hills beat the ugly desert landscape of coastal Lima easily
Attractions: Bogota. Lima doesn't have much to see outside the historic center
Climate: Both have subpar climates but Lima at least gets nice and warm from December to April. Bogota is pretty much always chilly
Safety: Lima, less than half of the homicide rate of Bogota. And homicide rates are still the most reliable statistic because you can't fudge homicide or severely underreport homicide numbers like you can with robbery or rape
Walkable Neighborhoods: Bogota I guess? Altho Lima's touristy neighborhoods are very walkable
Transit: Bogota
More Unique: Bogota. Bogota seems to have a distinct culture whereas Lima is more just a typical South American coastal city
Food: Lima, and in a blowout. Bogota's cuisine is nice, but Lima's cuisine is on another planet and is one of the best foodie destinations in the entire world
People: Lima. Lima people are friendly and warm, while Bogota is notorious for being very cold by Colombian standards

Old 09-17-2017, 06:31 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So Antonio, to be clear, you like Bogota for living, Lima for visiting then? Just making sure.
Yes

Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 AM

Given that the consensus seems to be that Bogota is more walkable than Lima, that seems more like a place that I'd prefer. Plus I love mountains too, more than the sea (though I don't mind that either, just preference), and I'd probably be more likely to plan a 4-5 day trip to Bogota at some point just so I could literally say at some point that I "left the continent for the weekend". Though, if I were to combine a trip to Bogota with a trip to the coffee belt (Jardin/Medellin), or to Cano Cristales, I would probably end up staying for 8-9 days.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM

321 posts, read 333,769 times
Pavements in Bogotá are huge and they include paths for bikes, chances are you'll like it.

You should pay the nearby town of Zipaquira a visit and venture into its salt cathedral. Guatavita is worth a visit, too.

Last edited by Oraculo; 09-18-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Personally Lima is my favorite city I've ever been to. I know it has a lot of problems and maybe is not very touristy, but holy ****, the cuisine and the nightlife are legendary. If you're going out to the bars you're probably coming home with somebody lol. And people invite you to parties after only knowing you for a day. I don't know if Bogota is as exciting as that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas