U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM

15,139 posts, read 32,063,167 times

Advertisements

Pretty interesting...this guy is traveling around, and he walks around cities filming wherever he walks...

Georgetown, Guyana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVftJpM7ZUo

I always wondered what it looked like....not the prettiest of towns....but not bad either.

But, the weird thing..isn't Guyana supposed to be around 45% East Indian? I saw a few of that descent, but not many. Or they just don't walk around much themselves or they aren't living so much in Georgetown or something?

Anyways, interesting to see footage of Georgetown on the ground at street level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:34 PM

1,709 posts, read 720,282 times
Nice. You introduced me to an interesting channel. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Cucuta with the whole crime influx from both sides of the border - it was interesting to see his video tour of Colombia's 8th city as I've never been there and only hear bad things.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:41 PM

1,709 posts, read 720,282 times
These videos are making me nostalgic - I miss Bogota...and thank goodness its sunny, it hardly ever is!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nice. You introduced me to an interesting channel. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Cucuta with the whole crime influx from both sides of the border - it was interesting to see his video tour of Colombia's 8th city as I've never been there and only hear bad things.
Yep! That guy's channel is quite amazing. I love the Dutch architecture when is walking around the main cities in Curacao and Suriname.

Equally, Bogota is a city that I've often heard is way up there with sophistication and everything else, and that came through very clearly in some of the Walking Around Bogota videos.

Also, CUBA...wow....he was just going up and down side streets...and just wow!

He's really making me rethink the entire region, and it makes me want to see more of those cities for myself.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Status: "I get what I want ... one way or another : ) !" (set 2 days ago)

5,479 posts, read 2,224,676 times
Lol.... I love the cut eye/ dirty looks he is getting from some people when he is filming !

Re the Indian/ Black situation to my understanding the tension between the Indian and Black population is even worse their then it is in Trinidad.

In Toronto I know loads of people from there and I have yet to meet any mixed families. They are either black or Indian.

I see this to some extent in Trindad but not as bad.

All the Guynese people I know in Toronto comes families that were really poor there and are still sending money back. Like use to bath in the river type poor. They also tend to be a lot more careful with money/ spending compared the Trinidadian culture where people seriously don't pay bills to buy expensive costumes for carnivals. Throwing parties comes before saving money.

I have like never heard of people going there unless to visit family. Interesting seeing footage from there.

Re Cuba .... those charming run down building can be dangerous. A co-workers was on vacation roaming down those streets and a huge metal sign sudden just fell off a building missing her my inches that could of sliced her in half.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Lol.... I love the cut eye/ dirty looks he is getting from some people when he is filming !
I was thinking that too, REALLY ballsy. Damn.

I can also see the shadow of the camera in some of his footage...it's not just a cellphone, it's a real camera on one of those selfie sticks. He's quite blatantly filming people without any subtlety or asking permission about it.

I'm a bit surprised he's been able to get the hours and hours and hours and hours of footage he's already got in all of those cities, without someone making an issue from it, or someone demanding him to hand it over.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Status: "I get what I want ... one way or another : ) !" (set 2 days ago)

5,479 posts, read 2,224,676 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was thinking that too, REALLY ballsy. Damn.

I can also see the shadow of the camera in some of his footage...it's not just a cellphone, it's a real camera on one of those selfie sticks. He's quite blatantly filming people without any subtlety or asking permission about it.

I'm a bit surprised he's been able to get the hours and hours and hours and hours of footage he's already got in all of those cities, without someone making an issue from it, or someone demanding him to hand it over.
I am always cautious when filiming people in my videos when travelling because it is hard to know how it will be taken. In some ways you can make people feel uncomfortable ex "I am not a animal in the zoo for display'.

This issue came up a while back at the Caribbean Carnival in Toronto as some of the women were getting really annoyed about the context of certain men approaching them and taking their pictures. On one hand it is to be expected that if you are wearing a costume in a parade that people will want to take your picture, but in this situation some of the men where noted to be taking very digrogitory shots/ sexual shots. Ex taking shots of certain body parts or between womens legs and stuff like that which is an entirely different story.

These women are taking part in a cultural event and were not voluntering to be sexually harasses and explioted so this was crossing the lines. The guys in this situations were told off by the women involved, but the situation did make the papers.

I think when taking pictures and videos we should be respectful of people's boundaries. I know if someone took a video of me without my permission I would be annoyed and depending on the context might persue legal action depending on the situation. Ex I someone was filiming me on my property without permission.

There was this lady that my daughter noticed that kept on approaching my house and taking pictures. It was making my daughter feel very uncomfortable. I was not home when this was happening. One day it happend when I was home and my daughter ran out in to the road after her shouting hey ladying stop taking picture of my house. It is wired! Get out of here! I was so embrassed .. but I guess getting chasing away from a property by a 10 year old little girl did the trick because she never came back lol. I think if she just explained what she was doing she would not have freaked my daughter out as much.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM

6,186 posts, read 4,573,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Pretty interesting...this guy is traveling around, and he walks around cities filming wherever he walks...

Georgetown, Guyana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVftJpM7ZUo

I always wondered what it looked like....not the prettiest of towns....but not bad either.

But, the weird thing..isn't Guyana supposed to be around 45% East Indian? I saw a few of that descent, but not many. Or they just don't walk around much themselves or they aren't living so much in Georgetown or something?

Anyways, interesting to see footage of Georgetown on the ground at street level.
The bulk of the Indian population is in the rural areas while the African population is more urban.

The current ethnic demographics are Indians 40%, African 30%, Mixed identified 20%, and Amerindian 10%. There are smatterings of Portuguese and Chinese populations as well as Brazilian and Chinese (from China) immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas