Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

There's substantial hurricane damage across the Caribbean, Texas, and Florida and Mexico has Earthquake. I've donated my time working with volunteer groups and I've donated money and bought supplies. Please find a charity you like to work with and help where you can.

You can donate directly to charities in these nations, as well as to charities in the US that are sending teams to these nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
I thought this article was interesting.
A lot of people are not really sure how to help.
Where to donate too.
What to donate.
Also when things like this happen there are a lot of people or groups surfacing making claims that they are collecting money to help people without clear explainations of how they are going to be doing this.

This article makes some suggetions on how to select the best way to help.

Even though the artible referrs to Puerto Rico it applies to all the areas effected.

Helping Puerto Rico: Here's where and when to donate

Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I donated a couple of times through here (Home | Unidos Por Puerto Rico) for Puerto Rico.

Don't know where to donate for the other islands.

However, Haiti and DR weren't heavily affected by the storms. In fact, plenty of people in medical needs from Dominica, the Virgin Islands, and PR were flown to hospitals in the DR. 99% of those two countries are as they were before the hurricanes ravaged the nothern Leeward Islands, PR, Turks&Caicos, parts of Bahamas, and Cuba.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:43 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Thank you for this. Our islands need all the help they can get.

For the USVI, please see below:

usvirecovery.org

https://www.youcaring.com/21usvirgin...ieffund-942738

There are others that I will try to add later but my signal is not good.

Also, AntonioR is correct about those places that were really affected. PR, the Virgin Islands (US and British), Dominica, St. Martin, Turks & Caicos etc.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Also, AntonioR is correct about those places that were really affected. PR, the Virgin Islands (US and British), Dominica, St. Martin, Turks & Caicos etc.
The islands that are in the worst shape are Barbuda and Dominica. Barbuda is uninhabited now, the pet dogs are now feral, killing goats, etc., as they haven't seen their owners for more than a month. It is unknown when and even if Barbuda will return to normality.

Antigua doesn't have the money to restore it and rest assured, few of the locals have insurance on their homes as they cannot afford it. Most of the islanders are now in Antigua, some of them living in shelters where they have no privacy. Think about that New Orleans stadium during Katrina.

Dominica was hit by Erika in 2015 and that demolished the economy. Now comes Maria and that did even worse. Dominica has no money to fully restore their infrastructure.

As much as the Puerto Ricans complain they have Trump to scream for help. Dominica has no one. In 2015 it lost its banana industry and is manufacturing base. Now Ross University, an offshore medical school which is vital to its economy, has temporarily relocated to St Kitts, and they don't know when, or if they will return. Dominica now has no economy.

I contributed to DARDA Home which is a US based Dominican organization which has 501 (c) 3 status and a track record for providing relief. It was also recommended as the best way to make cash donations, rather than the assorted gofundme sites, or generic entities like the Red Cross where you have no idea where the funds might end up.

Sending down supplies is one way to help, but given the logistical problems cash is also needed. The supplies get to the capital cities, but then there isn't transportation to get it to the remote areas. Also the needs for supplies changes over time. Diabetic medications and other items that people don't think of seems to be quite critical.

For those who don't want to give cash, but who want to ensure that their donations are relevant to the needs I know that Dominica had an Amazon wish list where their needs were itemized. Maybe its still up.

I hear a lot about helping US citizens. Well others who don't live in US territories also need help and as they don't have a rich nation assisting them, their needs are actually more dire.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I hear a lot about helping US citizens. Well others who don't live in US territories also need help and as they don't have a rich nation assisting them, their needs are actually more dire.
This is NOT true at all.

Not being U.S. territory doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a rich nation assisting. Some islands affected are British, like the BVI and Turks & Caicos.The UK is wealthy and assists them. St. Martin is French/Dutch and have help from those nations.

Also the French are in fact aiding Dominica though I am sure that it needs more help than what will be provided. I feel for them. A number of US Virgin Islanders have roots in Dominica and have been hit doubly, here and there. Very sad.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This is NOT true at all.

Also the French are in fact aiding Dominica though I am sure that it needs more help than what will be provided. I feel for them. A number of US Virgin Islanders have roots in Dominica and have been hit doubly, here and there. Very sad.

The French gave help to Dominica in the search and rescue phase. And they did so in the capacity of the French Antilles, which aren't that rich either. They are NOT rebuilding Dominica and I am not even sure if they are still around.

Dominica can rely on no one, but must kindly accept help from those who offer. I will add that Anguilla and the BVI aren't getting that much help from rich nations either. These islands have to figure out how to get their infrastructure up and running and to resume the functioning of their economies. Electricians have been sent from St K, St L and Guyana to assist Anguilla to get power supply back on line, with the BVI also getting some help from elsewhere in the Caribbean. They aren't expecting the UK to do this.

The only islands that can operate from the assumption that some rich nation is obligated to help them are PR, USVI, and St Martin (Fr). Even the Dutch side of St Maarten cannot carry that assumption too far. It seems as if even though PR and the USVI both have their own power supply companies that its FEMA who must be held responsible for restoring electricity.

Last edited by caribny; 10-15-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The French gave help to Dominica in the search and rescue phase. And they did so in the capacity of the French Antilles, which aren't that rich either. They are NOT rebuilding Dominica and I am not even sure if they are still around.

Dominica can rely on no one, but must kindly accept help from those who offer. I will add that Anguilla and the BVI aren't getting that much help from rich nations either. These islands have to figure out how to get their infrastructure up and running and to resume the functioning of their economies. Electricians have been sent from St K, St L and Guyana to assist Anguilla to get power supply back on line, with the BVI also getting some help from elsewhere in the Caribbean. They aren't expecting the UK to do this.

The only islands that can operate from the assumption that some rich nation is obligated to help them are PR, USVI, and St Martin (Fr). Even the Dutch side of St Maarten cannot carry that assumption too far. It seems as if even though PR and the USVI both have their own power supply companies that its FEMA who must be held responsible for restoring electricity.
Again, your post was about ASSISTANCE and to claim that none of the other nations are receiving assistance from rich nations highly incorrect. All of these islands need help, especially Dominica, but BE ACCURATE.

The UK released millions for rebuilding of the BVI, Anguilla and Turks & Caicos, although they should do more. The Royal Navy arrived days after Irma. The French are assisting St. Martin and Macron has said that France will REBUILD St. Martin. The Dutch military was on the ground soon after to assist St. Maarten.

Who told you that the USVI is depending on FEMA to restore electricity? Our WAPA linemen have been out restoring electricity since Irma hit. The number of linesmen supposedly coming from the states have yet to arrive. Just the other day, one of our young linemen DIED restoring power. So what are you talking about? You don't live here. Our islands have been under curfew since the storms in order to allow WAPA and others to work. Who is waiting on FEMA? Your statements are disgusting when people are out here risking their lives.

All you people do is watch sensational U.S news about Puerto Rico and then make ignorant assumptions about the USVI. Leave us out of it.

As for Dominica, EVERYONE feels for them because they need it most. However, don't act like the France hasnt sent aid. The UK has as well. And don't spread false information about other islands that have been hit by Irma and Maria.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-16-2017 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 AM

And since people find it appropriate to bring the stateside animosity toward Puerto Rico to this forum, you should know that after Irma, Puerto Rico was helping its Caribbean neighbors in the U.S. and British Virgin Islands and St. Martin. Your stateside news doesn't tell you that but you want to call Puerto Ricans complainers when a number of then have done more than you to help others devastated by the hurricanes.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 AM

Dominica - Dominica Hurricane Relief Fund

British Virgin Islands - Virgin Unite
https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-com...support-appeal

Turks & Caicos - HIRTAC Hurricane Irma Relief Turks and Caicos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas