Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following Latin American cities offers the best built environment for visitors and inha
Mexico City 2 14.29%
Bogotá 3 21.43%
Lima 0 0%
São Paulo 0 0%
Rio De Janeiro 0 0%
Buenos Aires 7 50.00%
Santiago De Chile 2 14.29%
Panama City 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 AM

424 posts, read 466,011 times

Advertisements

Which major Latin American city offers the best built environment for both inhabitants and visitors? Built environment means architecture, quality and efficiency of infrastructure, and organization of transit systems and street grids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:10 PM

321 posts, read 333,769 times
Medellín.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
In terms of architecture Buenos Aires.

In terms of overall infrastructure/safety Santiago.

However, for me a built environment needs to have much more than that and cultural expressions are important. In this case Buenos Aires is a good all rounder. Santiago can be a bit dry and dull I prefer Bogota to Santiago for this very reason. I think Sao Paulo is a strong contender also culturally and although small Quito packs a punch due to its fantastic colonial architecture and Lima its gastro movement. To be fair all cities have its pros, a mix of all would probably make the greatest city on Earth.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quito and Cusco have very large historic centers

Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Which major Latin American city offers the best built environment for both inhabitants and visitors? Built environment means architecture, quality and efficiency of infrastructure, and organization of transit systems and street grids.
I haven't been to all of those cities...but in general, definitely prefer South American cities with all the plazas and walkable stuff, than most North American cities.

I can't think of anyone quintessential perfect South American city though....maybe Cartagena for aesthetics and architecture though....Havana, maybe.

Curitiba for efficiency.

Rio de Jainero for drop-dead gorgeous beautiful.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Buenos Aires to all three. Montevideo has good architecture and urban layout too but the public transportation isn't nearly as good. Santiago has the public transportation but has crappy architecture outside of downtown and poor urban planning. Lima sucks at all three lol

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I haven't been to all of those cities...but in general, definitely prefer South American cities with all the plazas and walkable stuff, than most North American cities.

I can't think of anyone quintessential perfect South American city though....maybe Cartagena for aesthetics and architecture though....Havana, maybe.

Curitiba for efficiency.

Rio de Jainero for drop-dead gorgeous beautiful.
I think even the least walkable South American cities will beat any North American city (aside from the Northeast) when it comes to walkability and urban layout. Lima's layout is very poor compared to Buenos Aires or Montevideo, but compared to Atlanta or Houston, forget about it

Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Buenos Aires to all three. Montevideo has good architecture and urban layout too but the public transportation isn't nearly as good. Santiago has the public transportation but has crappy architecture outside of downtown and poor urban planning. Lima sucks at all three lol
I agree with you there. I liked Montevideo best of all. Definitely underrated. But Santiago does excel in infrastructure. Efficient and modern but the city is somewhat boring. Buenos Aires has some of the best architecture, is vibrant, cosmopolitan and attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas