Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Do you see most (smallish) Carribbean countries as high-end travel?

Smallish meaning most all of the small islands, except for Cuba, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and such, which have a wider range of costs and populations.

But all of these little places like Aruba, Barbados, Curacao....are they mostly all high-end travel, and not much else to do but beach, lounge around, restaurants in the evenings, etc.

I'm just thinking that places like Cuba or DR, people might travel around, intermingle more with the culture, find your inexpensive restaurants or maybe even lodging, etc. But the smaller islands, you're probably stuck with higher costs, higher hotel prices, without many other options for much price diversification...or am I wrong about that? And if I am wrong, where are the exceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Cayman and Turks has some lower end options. Jamaica, too.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cayman and Turks has some lower end options. Jamaica, too.
Jamaica is not small by Caribbean standards.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:56 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times
The extremely small islands are all relatively expensive...some of the small islands like St Lucia can be relatively inexpensive

Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The extremely small islands are all relatively expensive...some of the small islands like St Lucia can be relatively inexpensive
It also depends how to define expensive.
If you are comparing resort packages these smaller islands are more expensive to visit.

If someone wants to go there buy not spend as much money the better option would to be to book flight and find somewhere to stay on your own where you can prepare you own meals.

Out of those more expensive Islands I have only been to Curaçao. I stayed at the Hilton. We got a package that was on sale. It was $2500 with taxes and flight a hotels for 2 adults and one kid. Breakfast buffet was included but other meals were extra. It was an older Hilton property, but still really nice. The only problem is that in my opinion some of these Islands have nothing to do other then go to the beach and eat. So a week there is a really long time.
Very relaxing vaction.
We left the resort a lot to go to the city. You need to take a taxi, but that is the only other place you can get things to eat and grocery stores.
The downtown is small and pretty.
Very romantic atmostphere... but not that much to do.

I think if you are really just trying to escape and relax these are perfect options.
If you go to the more expensive small Islands the resorts/ hotels are going to be where the action is and otherwise outside of carnival seasons not much else to do.

I totally think that is why alcoholism rates are high. Not much else to do .

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think if you are really just trying to escape and relax these are perfect options.
If you go to the more expensive small Islands the resorts/ hotels are going to be where the action is and otherwise outside of carnival seasons not much else to do.

I totally think that is why alcoholism rates are high. Not much else to do .
Yep, probably true! Part of me would love to travel throughout the Caribbean. But the prices, and the fact that probably most islands are quite similar to the one you just left, that could probably end up as a huge waste of money, that could be better spent elsewhere.

Still though, damn, those Caribbean Islands are gorgeous!!

Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, probably true! Part of me would love to travel throughout the Caribbean. But the prices, and the fact that probably most islands are quite similar to the one you just left, that could probably end up as a huge waste of money, that could be better spent elsewhere.

Still though, damn, those Caribbean Islands are gorgeous!!

Do you have a boat? Or want to travel with someone who does?

I have heard of people travelling between Island and save moving on hotels by sleeping on this own boats. I dont own a boat... but know of a few retired before who do that. I live near a Marina in my city and there are actually people that stay for the summer and then sail back south for the colder months.

I am sure you could do it cheaper. Each Island does have different stuff going on. It might not be as obvious as Manhattan Vs. San Diego or Paris vs Toronto... etc, but there are differences. The music, food and cultures is diverse enough to keep it interesting.

The Caribbean is one region of the world where people are VERY freindly.... mainly because there is not that much to do so every new face has a new story to share.

Also Island to Island flights and boat rides ( if you should be that brave) are actually cheaper. To flying from on Island to another is cheaper.

Also most Island have hostels or cheaper locally owned hotels. Personally if I was going to cut back to go lots of places I would be okay with staying in a private room in a hostel.

Unless I am really worried about security or a resort package is only a little bit more expensive then just the flight I usually opt of the most basic hotels so I have more money to do stuff because at the end of the end when on vacation I only in my room to sleep.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 PM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
Grenada and Antigua/Barbuda are two islands that away from the resorts are quite undeveloped.There are some big resorts in all these places but outside of them life can be quite hard.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Do you see most (smallish) Carribbean countries as high-end travel?

Smallish meaning most all of the small islands, except for Cuba, DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and such, which have a wider range of costs and populations.

But all of these little places like Aruba, Barbados, Curacao....are they mostly all high-end travel, and not much else to do but beach, lounge around, restaurants in the evenings, etc.

I'm just thinking that places like Cuba or DR, people might travel around, intermingle more with the culture, find your inexpensive restaurants or maybe even lodging, etc. But the smaller islands, you're probably stuck with higher costs, higher hotel prices, without many other options for much price diversification...or am I wrong about that? And if I am wrong, where are the exceptions?
Yep you're wrong. I can't speak for Aruba or Curacao, but in Barbados you can stay at a ultra exclusive resort like Sandy Lane or rent a room in someones house, plus everything in-between. Just take a look at airbnb. And of course there are variety of prices in restaurants, shopping etc. These island are not just for rich tourist, the local population also shop and eat out.

There are a lot of things to do beside lounging on the beach. Museums, different tours (nature, cultural), festivals etc. The Capital is a UNESCO world heritage site.

I also would not call these islands small. By population Barbados is the 10th most populated island, and Curacao and Aruba are 12th and 13th, respectively. I would call these islands mid-size. Islands like St. Kitts, St. Marteen and British Virgin Island, would be considered small.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
A lot has to do with land for agriculture and food production and even industry which can off-set some of the dependence on tourism for larger islands.

The smaller islands however don't have enough pastures for livestock and agriculture, etc. so on-top of being almost completely reliant on tourism (and/or banking in a handful of cases), they also have to import almost everything from food to construction materials. The fact that these are small markets also means prices are higher as prices usually come down when bought in bulk.

It's understandable that these smaller islands have little option than to gamble on high-end tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas