Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:34 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Tried it once, worst vacation experience of my life. Being surrounded by the people you see in your everyday life on a so called foreign vacation, eating ****ty food and watching people yell at "Jose" to get them another Banana Mama isnt exactly my idea of a vacation. Ironically enough my one All Inclusive was to Cayo Coco Cuba.
I found the resorts were much more of a spring break vibe. Lots of people really getting plastered with the all inclusive drinks. We where leaving the resort a lot during the day for off sight trips, but where also going to night clubs off the resort every night and people where really getting smashed drunk. It was fun... but you have to leave your standards at the door when it comes to resort expectations in Cuba. The food is usually not that great regardless of how many stars there are.

If got to places where I dont really enjoy the food I got out to get locally. We tried that in Cuba and it was not much better ... in face just as bad. The off resort food scene may have been getting a bit better from what I heard.

Beautiful country. Lots to see outisde on the resort areas too. Resorts packages are cheap and attracks people looking to get a way for a cheap tropical beach party ex the spring breaker crowds like Cancun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Of course, they won't tell you in your face,
O, privet! Znayesh', ne govoryat "in your face" a "to your face".

No seychas', iz za tvoyego plokhogo Angliskogo, znayu pochemu ty dayosh takoye dermo...

Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I found the resorts were much more of a spring break vibe. Lots of people really getting plastered with the all inclusive drinks. We where leaving the resort a lot during the day for off sight trips, but where also going to night clubs off the resort every night and people where really getting smashed drunk. It was fun... but you have to leave your standards at the door when it comes to resort expectations in Cuba. The food is usually not that great regardless of how many stars there are.

If got to places where I dont really enjoy the food I got out to get locally. We tried that in Cuba and it was not much better ... in face just as bad. The off resort food scene may have been getting a bit better from what I heard.

Beautiful country. Lots to see outisde on the resort areas too. Resorts packages are cheap and attracks people looking to get a way for a cheap tropical beach party ex the spring breaker crowds like Cancun.
Agreed. We were able to get off resort and eat at a couple local places and the food even there was really "Meh". Better than the resort of course but not great. I lived in Miami for a while and love the Cuban food there. Even Cubans in Miami will tell you the Cuban food is better in South Florida than Cuba.

Regarding the Spring break vibe, I saw that as well. The people there were so disrespectful to the staff as well. Just a group of very ignorant travelers. Some of the staff opened up to me a bit in the evenings, especially because I speak Spanish and they let off the impression that they deal with some really tiring folks on a daily basis but did appreciate having the employment regardless.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:45 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Agreed. We were able to get off resort and eat at a couple local places and the food even there was really "Meh". Better than the resort of course but not great. I lived in Miami for a while and love the Cuban food there. Even Cubans in Miami will tell you the Cuban food is better in South Florida than Cuba.

Regarding the Spring break vibe, I saw that as well. The people there were so disrespectful to the staff as well. Just a group of very ignorant travelers. Some of the staff opened up to me a bit in the evenings, especially because I speak Spanish and they let off the impression that they deal with some really tiring folks on a daily basis but did appreciate having the employment regardless.
I get that. I also think this is where the impression you know who is getting about Canadians comes from. I am turning my harash mode back on. I personally have a HUGE distaste for people that actually act like they are superior to people. I say a lot of controversial things when in comes topics regarding income, class, status etc but I would never dare be disrespectful to anyone providing serice to me unless it was in response to bad service and that would 99% of the time be directed at management and occur only under extreme circumstances. The entire snapping your hands at people and putting service providers in uncomfortable situations ex flirting with them.... throwing money at them and speaking to them disrespectfully is not okay. It is never okay. I think when certain people go on vacation to these types of resorts that are really no one important in real life in their own countries that get this diluted idea that they can start acting like disrespectful morons. I know when was in Cuba there was a another group of girls around our age there and I am horrified and embrassed about the way they were acting. They where drunk to the point they were falling over most of the time and burnt red a few days in to the trip as they were getting drunk on the beach and an even lighter complexion them me and should have the brains to know you can't sit out on the beach for the full day even with sunscreen as you are going to get severe burns. I am surprised none of them died. It was crazy. I have a feeling that you know who is judging all Canadians to be like these disgusting people. To that I totally appolgize as a Canadian, but when travelling I have met people that sadly act like all over. I hear the same type of negative feedback from Mexicans regarding American tourist in certain areas.

There are a few people that work in the tourism industry that post in this area of the forum. It would be interesting to hear their opion on this topic.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 PM

505 posts, read 392,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I do think what you are saying is ridiculous as always ... but I am going to back down and possible just ignore your absurd comments because I think I often fail to remember how automatically privileged I am by just being born as a woman in the right place and the right time.

All the nice stuff I have or have done was paid with my own legally earned money and I have never had to beg, borrow or steal to get anything I wanted or claw out of any gutter, ghetto or a situation of extreme poverty.

So happy to know there are still so many strong "swimmers" out there even if their brains are still stuck in a time capsule.

Regarding a comment made about people not tell other people things to their face ... that is basically exactly what I have said in regards to Cuba.

As a tourist you are literally seen as a walking opportunity for an exit visa or money and gifts from most locals. There is next to no genuine authentic warmth from local people that do seek you out to talk. I would assume there are people in Cuba that are not like this... but you are not likely to ever meet them as they are not the ones chasing you down and seeking you out as you visit ANYWHERE on the island. It is sadly a beautiful island with a large number of people that are trapped under an unprogressive oppressive system looking for a way out even if it means compromising their person integrity, morals and pride.

I also want to reminded that most tourist on vacation are not there to save the poor, oppressed and needy from this horrible/ crappy lives .... they are there to relax, have fun and hopefully get a tan. Your miserable crappy situation is nothing more than coffee table conversation and not really going to be their life's mission to save you. Most people REALLY don't give a care and will not be willing to give up their previlege to help you out forever. Cuba's issues are WAY too big to be anyone's problem, but their own. So when people from outside chose to travel there please don't rain on their prade with your political situation gripes. It is not realy our problem.

Cheers to the concept of telling someone something to their face ( even if only in a virtual sense)!

Don't you realize that you are describing yourself?

Help me? I don't need any help from an afro-guyanese middle age woman living in some ghetto in Canada, that's preposterous. Privileged, please!!!

And really, you do seem challenged by women from the Spanish Antilles, they belong to another league.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Don't you realize that you are describing yourself?

Help me? I don't need any help from an afro-guyanese middle age woman living in some ghetto in Canada, that's preposterous. Privileged, please!!!

And really, you do seem challenged by women from the Spanish Antilles, they belong to another league.
Lol...
Dream on.
Again this is all further evidence you have no clue.

If the league is desperate misfortunate beggears no worries I am well aware I was never part of the league.

One minute I am being compared to the white American female character from some movie with Iguana in the title which was made before I was born now I am Afro-Guyanese lol.

Again Cuba is a tiny little Island dont get your head swelled .... it is really not that important in the world or even in the Caribbean.

Plus why draw in the rest of the region. Cuba is very distinct from all other places in the Caribbean and Latin American. Also these dated anti-feminist views always expressed are not reflective of Modern Progressive women. Your thinking is centuries out of data which makes me wonder how old your are or how many minutes ago you left Cuba. Like most of the Island you are sadly have 1/2 a century of Western social history to catch up on.

Last edited by klmrocks; 10-20-2017 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Food at resorts ranges from very basic to very good, food at cheap resorts -Club Amigo- is awful, food at hotels managed by foreign chains is good. But as all food has to be imported and there's a high degree of waste -robberies, prices are not competitive in the high price range.

English tourists don't bother much, they stick around the pool, drink and are quiter there than in Majorca, Torremolinos, etc. No binge drinking, fights.

Food is a problem outside Havana, even in Havana they might run out of eggs or portatoes, incredible.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
O, privet! Znayesh', ne govoryat "in your face" a "to your face".

No seychas', iz za tvoyego plokhogo Angliskogo, znayu pochemu ty dayosh takoye dermo...

Estroncium kaposh wuiderga

Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
There are plenty of tropical destinations to visit without bothering with Cuba.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Americans can also go through authorized tour organizations, like Global Exchange. These organizations meet the State Dept's criteria of setting up the visits as cultural exchanges. A friend of mine has been going to Cuba annually for over 25 years. It's not a big deal if you know how to do it, similar to how going to Russia wasn't a big deal during the Soviet period, if you knew how the system works.

Still, I thought Obama's change of status for Cuba made a difference? Or did all that get cancelled with the regime change in DC?

No difference, but Americans, as favourite tourists, have it very easy. They only need to fly to an intermediate location and buy a visa there that will not be stamped.

Last edited by farinello; 10-20-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas