Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
"The survey of more than 1,000 Jamaicans"

People love to quote this article but always seem to forget this part. Clearly biased/flawed survey that I would be weary of paying much attention to.
The BBC went to interview people who were impressed by the arrival of an international celebrity and scream this. Their pathetic attempt to show how the "natives love them"

When Obama visited Jamaica I bet that more people were more exuberant than they were to see some old white lady.

When Prince Harry visited the Eastern Caribbean last year only the school kids seemed impressed, and obviously because kids usually love doing anything other than sitting in a class room. The adults had other things to do.

Prince Charles is supposed to be touring the UK territories which suffered hurricane damage. I don't think that anyone is interested in what he has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
It is very pathetic. Even this thread premise is suspect, since i'm willing to bet that the threadstarter has zero connection to the Caribbean and could care less. Notice these people never ask whether DR or Cuba should go back to Spain or US occupation.
Certain posters involved in this conversation have a history of pretending that the English speaking Caribbean is worse off than these Latin islands.

I wish that they visit St Kitts or Antigua and see the huge numbers of Dominicanos resident there, and that they do the work that the locals don't want to do, or that they accept pay and condition inferior to the local workers.

I can say the same for Cubans who live in Jamaica. Yes there is a good sized colony of them as well!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't speak specifically to this survey, but professional survey-takers always use a small sample to represent a much larger one. They are careful to select their respondents in such a way, according to characteristics such as age, sex, income, educational attainment, political persuasion, etc., as to represent the overall population.

The BBC merely roamed around and stuck a camera in people's faces. Just this endless self indulgence that the British love to do. They also air series claiming that racism is almost nonexistent in the UK with the same smugness. They will soon boast that the impending marriage of Meghan into British royalty will indicate how "tolerant" the UK is.......as if having a black identified immigrant origin president doesn't count for something.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Notice these people never ask whether DR or Cuba should go back to Spain or US occupation.
Spain?! Do you need me to spell out the obvious? Even Mexico has more relevance on the world stage currently than Spain.

In fact its not uncommon for many Latin American countries to have wished to have been colonised by Britain rather than Spain or Portugal. Almost definitely a more efficient form of law and governance would've been inherited instead of the bureaucratic, lazy headache that is Spain even till this day.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't speak specifically to this survey, but professional survey-takers always use a small sample to represent a much larger one. They are careful to select their respondents in such a way, according to characteristics such as age, sex, income, educational attainment, political persuasion, etc., as to represent the overall population.

Again, I have no way of knowing the details of this particular survey. But in general, there is nothing suspect about using 1,000 people to represent the whole of Jamaica.
i'm generally skeptical of any polls where i cannot see the methods used. especially in this particular context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Certain posters involved in this conversation have a history of pretending that the English speaking Caribbean is worse off than these Latin islands.

I wish that they visit St Kitts or Antigua and see the huge numbers of Dominicanos resident there, and that they do the work that the locals don't want to do, or that they accept pay and condition inferior to the local workers.

I can say the same for Cubans who live in Jamaica. Yes there is a good sized colony of them as well!
Yes, and the reason why they think this is very obvious.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Certain posters involved in this conversation have a history of pretending that the English speaking Caribbean is worse off than these Latin islands
This old nugget, still not over it huh? In any case that was not what I said, you just love to skew things to suit your interests, even to the point of relaying false information - case in point.

Besides that's rich coming from the guy that historically loved to bash the Dominican Republic at every given opportunity. Oh wait, I retract historically.

Despite the fact that the Dominican Republic economy grew over 7% last year and the year before that and is set to match that growth for 2017 also. Compared to overall stunted growth and even contraction in Caricom countries. Unfortunately this goes against your interests - the wound is still raw I see.

Quote:

Yes, and the reason why they think this is very obvious.
Maybe you should address the arguments that rebuked your claim as to why "we don't suggest returning to Spanish rule" than to prop-up Caribny and his notorious Latin American bashing.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
And it’s pathetic. I’m still waiting to see where the victimized statements are in my post. Some people are quick to make assumptions because they believe people of certain backgrounds or from certain nations all think one way. It’s indictative of unexposure.
Indicative of unexposure? That's a joke.

Perhaps I was quick to make an assumption but your initial comment was that "Absolutely Not" countries would be better if in the present day they were part of Britain. I'm not talking about the 1960's to 1980's transition period of Britain's neo-colonial economic rise but in the now!

How would you possibly know this?!

Therefore your follow up comments infer that its the foreign power that continues to hold the strangle hold where in my opinion the majority of emphasis should be placed at the failures at a local level. Your comments infer the former especially when you completely dismiss that present day British "rule" (I say this of course under a devolved local government like Scotland, Wales or oversees territory status dependant on local wants/benefits) wouldn't be in any way shape or form beneficial to the nation at present?

Old 12-14-2017, 03:07 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
It is very pathetic. Even this thread premise is suspect, since i'm willing to bet that the threadstarter has zero connection to the Caribbean and could care less. Notice these people never ask whether DR or Cuba should go back to Spain or US occupation.
The poll was done in Jamaica, but there are groups in DR, Cuba, and Puerto Rico that wish to go back to Spain. With that said, I doubt in any of the three Spanish territories most of the population wish to return to Spain. The irony is that most Jamaicans don't descend from the British, yet the poll suggests most want to return to Britain. In the mean time, most of the population in the three Spanish isles have actual ancestral/genetic connections to Spain and yet, most don't want to be a part of Spain. Who can understand this crazy world? lol

Here's a group from Puerto Rico making the case for that island to leave the USA and unite with Spain. I couldn't find a video in English, so all are in Spanish.

Here is one of an official proposition by a pro-Spain PR group that was made in the United Nations. Again, sorry its only in Spanish, I couldn't find an English-language equivalent.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
. The irony is that most Jamaicans don't descend from the British, yet the poll suggests most want to return to Britain. In the mean time, most of the population in the three Spanish isles have actual ancestral/genetic connections to Spain and yet, most don't want to be a part of Spain. Who can understand this crazy world? lol
Interesting point.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Indicative of unexposure? That's a joke.

Perhaps I was quick to make an assumption but your initial comment was that "Absolutely Not" countries would be better if in the present day they were part of Britain. I'm not talking about the 1960's to 1980's transition period of Britain's neo-colonial economic rise but in the now!

How would you possibly know this?!

Therefore your follow up comments infer that its the foreign power that continues to hold the strangle hold where in my opinion the majority of emphasis should be placed at the failures at a local level. Your comments infer the former especially when you completely dismiss that present day British "rule" (I say this of course under a devolved local government like Scotland, Wales or oversees territory status dependant on local wants/benefits) wouldn't be in any way shape or form beneficial to the nation at present?
Yes, it is indicative of unexposure and not any way a joke.

Of course, my answer is absolutely not, as presently, citizens overall are more educated, have higher standards of living, ethnic groups are less polarized, etc. How familiar are you with the nations being discussed?

Who said that the foreign powers continue to hold the strangle hold? My statement was in response to another poster that said Jamaica is not truly independent. My statement was that, it can be argued that, not only Caribbean nations, but the majority of the developing world isn’t truly independent. There were no statements placing blame anywhere. It was a very open statement, as it depends on how one defines independence. Thus the use of the phrase, it can be argued, as the argument can go either way. You made assumptions for the purpose of creating unnecessary argument.

Lastly, the question was not whether being a territory would not be in any way, shape or form beneficial. The question is whether the nations would be BETTER under the British. That is a question regarding the overall effect of again becoming British, and the reality is, that at least in most cases, the nations would not be better off.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-15-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas