Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times

Advertisements

I will add that some people in Belize are able to remove most of the Kriol from their enunciation when speaking with non Belizeans so they are better understood. This is the case with many of my wife's family. However, when speaking with each other they speak Kriol. I can understand it pretty well now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Interesting...I know there have been rapid demographic changes there but as far as I know you definitely can get by speaking only English.
The census shows that just over 60% speak English, just under 60% speak Spanish and just under 50% speak Belizean Creole. So many Belizeans are multi lingual. Almost 70% of the population have their origins in Central America or the Yucatan so this shouldn't be a shock.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,086 times
Why would you go to Belize? LOL
Just a wondering - been there, would never go back.
Dinky country, unless you're a diver, not much to do, relative to other countries.
Just my humble opinion.
Cheers,
John

Old 12-21-2018, 02:18 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
The official language of Belize is English and the majority speak it, however, the country has a diverse population and you may find areas where only Spanish, Arawak, or other languages are spoken. Many times, English speakers will speak with a Kriol dialect.
Arawaks only occupied what is now Cuba ,Dominican Republic, the Caribbean islands and in South America. There home is in what is now Guayana (Essequibo) and the Oronico region of Venezuela.

The Garifuna have absorbed some elements of Arawaks culture in Honduras ,Nicargua and Belize but there are no Arawak there.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
There are a large percentage of immigrants in Belize from neighboring Guatemala. That partially explains why so many people in Belize speak Spanish. I was actually surprised at how many people speak Spanish, especially in the towns near the border with Mexico. I visited Belize on a short trip from the border town of Chetumal, Mexico. If you ever visit Guatemala, you might see a map that shows the national boundaries of Guatemala to include Belize. Some people say that the influx of immigrants from Guatemala to Belize is to tilt the demographics, to eventually approve merging into Guatemala. I doubt that will happen any time in the immediate future, because Guatemala has enough trouble as it is.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:42 AM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
People who I've met in California from Belize all spoke English with a Caribbean sounding accent.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the population speaks Kriol and English

Belize is trilingual (English, Kriol and Spanish). NONE of these languages are spoken by 100% of the population, but almost 60% speak Spanish.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
That is shockingly low for an English speaking nation

Over 60% of Belize's population have origins in the Yucatan or Central American origin and there have been many decent immigrants from these surrounding nations.

Also Kriol is defined as a language in Belize so some of the 37% who don't speak English might speak Kriol. I suspect if other English speaking Caribbean nations broke out creole speakers vs. those who speak standard English one might get similar numbers.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmozey View Post
Why would you go to Belize? LOL
Just a wondering - been there, would never go back.
Dinky country, unless you're a diver, not much to do, relative to other countries.
Just my humble opinion.
Cheers,
John
Belize has some pretty good surfing as well as diving. Been there, done that.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Arawaks only occupied what is now Cuba ,Dominican Republic, the Caribbean islands and in South America. There home is in what is now Guayana (Essequibo) and the Oronico region of Venezuela.

The Garifuna have absorbed some elements of Arawaks culture in Honduras ,Nicargua and Belize but there are no Arawak there.
Of course there is increasing debate as to the extent to which the Island Carib societies are really different from the island Arawak. In South America these are distinct groups.

Garifuna are known as "Black Caribs". The reality appears to be that Carib groups invaded and conquered Arawak groups in the Eastern Caribbean but then developed a mixed Carib/Arawak culture in part because they absorbed Arawak women into their culture. Maybe because they arrived as male invaders so brought few women with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas