Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm not so sure it was as successful as people claim. Right now Haiti is one of the most undeveloped countries in the world, i.
The sabotage that the slave owning nations did to Haiti have every bit to do with its current condition. Do you know that the French made the Haitian gov't pay them reparations for the loss of their slaves.

Guess how the Haitians repaid the French. By over taxing the population, forcing them to farm in unsuitable areas, and not investing in physical and social infrastructure.

But you being you forget that point.

I wonder what you will do when I tell you that the aftermath of slave rebellions in British places was that slaves were "drawn and quartered" that is pulled apart by horsing, while alive. Their bodies then left to rot and their heads stuck on stakes.

But I know that you will say that the slaves deserved it because how dare they rebel against their enslavement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Care to explain why at the time Jean Pierre Boyer agreed to pay the French what they asked, the Haitian political class, business class, and people in general criticized Boyer? Why did they blame Boyer .
Because the British, Americans and the French refused to trade with Haiti and threatened to invade. In fact the invasion of the DR was tied to Haitians trying to raise additional revenues to repay the French. The Dominicans objected to this overtaxing for something that had nothing to do with them so rebelled.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
After the British pulled out of Guyana, in one community, Linden or Buxton, I think, the local blacks attacked and savagely beat the local East Indians and raped the women. It was retribution because the blacks or *Creoles* thought the East Indians had sided with the British prior to independence. East Indians have been leaving Guyana in droves for decades since. They are still the object of intimidation by blacks. Blacks are big, burly and physically strong by East Indian standards. Blacks bully the more economically successful, but physically frailer East Indians and have not figured out how to emulate their success --> envy.

P.
I suggest that you chat about what you know and keep your anti black racism to yourself.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Blacks in the former British, Dutch and French West Indies, including Guyana, Trinidad, and Suriname... and Belize have historically expected all other groups to assimilate to *Creole* culture... to blend with them. They tend to see themselves as the founding people. However, East Indians in Guyana (and Trinidad and Suriname) really want nothing of it generally, although they do speak Guyanese Creole (or their version of it).
OK I now know what you are. Continue as your racism is being recognized for what it is. In Guyana BOTH races were engaged in racist acts against each other. You clearly show your anti black bias.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I read in a history book on Guyanas.
So you don't know anything about Guyana. Just reading what one person said and then accepting it as the gospel truth.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM

631 posts, read 562,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
May I ask which history book did you read and who was it written by ?
I had some time to go down an old road. For scholarly references on race relations in Guyana see, for example:

Despres, LA. "Ethnicity and Resource Competition in Guyanese Society in Ethnicity and Resource Competition in Plural Societies." World Anthropology Paris (1975): 87-117.

Moore, Brian L. Race, power, and social segmentation in colonial society: Guyana after slavery, 1838-1891. Vol. 4. Routledge, 1987.

Landis, Joseph Boyd. RACE RELATIONS AND POLITICS IN GUYANA." (1973): 0432-0432.

There are others, but it requires a bit more digging.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
OK I now know what you are. Continue as your racism is being recognized for what it is. In Guyana BOTH races were engaged in racist acts against each other. You clearly show your anti black bias.
Right, but from what I have read black Guyanese have shown less restraint in using physical violence than East Indian Guyanese. Not all racial groups are carbon copies of each other when it comes to social phenomena... for example, propensity toward entrepreneurship, strength of marriage vows against marital infidelity, permissiveness of sex outside of marriage more generally, patterns of kinship, among others... including types and degree of criminality.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-05-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So you don't know anything about Guyana. Just reading what one person said and then accepting it as the gospel truth.
There's nothing wrong with reading books and other sources of information to learn about a subject. The more one reads, the better informed one becomes. If you read a lot, you know better than to take any single source as the gospel truth, unless, of course, it is the Gospel Truth.

Last edited by 2ner; 09-05-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 PM

302 posts, read 308,570 times
Quote:
I had some time to go down an old road. For scholarly references on race relations in Guyana see, for example:

Despres, LA. "Ethnicity and Resource Competition in Guyanese Society in Ethnicity and Resource Competition in Plural Societies." World Anthropology Paris (1975): 87-117.

Moore, Brian L. Race, power, and social segmentation in colonial society: Guyana after slavery, 1838-1891. Vol. 4. Routledge, 1987.

Well these references you date back to the 70s and late 80s, the climate has not only changed but in reference to the time,many of the race relations would be biased because under dictator regime,social interactions among different ethnic groups are not going to be transparent.

Add to the fact that many of these reporters aren't going to research enough.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:

And what does that have to do with Trinidad...or Suriname?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas