Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
There were three waves of refugees during and after the Haitian riots and revolution. Some went to Cuba, others went to the U.S. east coast, and a lot went to Louisiana, where they blended in very well to the local French-speaking slave/plantation society. The refugees were composed of whites, freed mixed-race folks, and slaves. I believe the first slave riot in the U.S. occurred in Louisiana, headed up by a mulatto slave who had come with his *owner* from Haiti. The riot was brutal and resulted in the death of several whites. After this riot, slave-owners across the U.S. got fearful; and the U.S. prohibited the further entry of slaves from the Caribbean. I think also states passed special anti-riot legislation at this time.

I wonder what it was truly like after the North forced Reconstruction on the South, putting former black slaves in positions of power, when many of these and their followers among the slave masses were only interested in retribution (as you describe in your post about Haiti). If that is the case, I can see why southern white folk did all they could to dismantle that. The KKK may have arisen at this time initially as a means of defending whites against vengeance-driven blacks.

After the British pulled out of Guyana, in one community, Linden or Buxton, I think, the local blacks attacked and savagely beat the local East Indians and raped the women. It was retribution because the blacks or *Creoles* thought the East Indians had sided with the British prior to independence. East Indians have been leaving Guyana in droves for decades since independence. They are still the object of intimidation by blacks. Blacks are big, burly and physically strong by East Indian standards. Blacks bully the more economically successful, but physically frailer East Indians and have not figured out how to emulate their success --> envy.

Puerto Rican race relations have been and are much more harmonious. Nearly every Puerto Rican family is a genetic mixture of Spaniard, African, and Taino. Puerto Ricans I know seem proud of this fact.
By the end you just sound like an everyday racist...any way, lots of Blacks have left Guyana too...as a matter of fact, maybe even more Blacks have left than Indians....how does that play into your little analysis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 AM

631 posts, read 562,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
By the end you just sound like an everyday racist.
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah! Triggered?

Quote:
...any way, lots of Blacks have left Guyana too...as a matter of fact, maybe even more Blacks have left than Indians....how does that play into your little analysis?
If you look at population stats for Guyana since independence, the proportion of East Indians has gone down quite significantly, while the proportion of blacks has remained relatively stable. Touché!

Last edited by 2ner; 08-30-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM

Triggered? Nah just pointing out your racism for curious onlookers...haven't looked at Guyana's population stats but I know tons of Black Guyanese have migrated

Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Triggered? Nah just pointing out your racism for curious onlookers...haven't looked at Guyana's population stats but I know tons of Black Guyanese have migrated
Could you qualify what you mean by *racist*? It seems that anyone can be called *racist* these days if they diverge from the PC script.

Are you afraid to look at the stats? Maybe because they show that, in fact, the proportion of East Indians in Guyana has decreased, while that for blacks/Creoles has remained stable? Sure a lot of blacks have left, but not at the same rate as the East Indians.

I like race relations in Puerto Rico. It seems no one cares about your racial make-up there. I think in this way PR that is similar to DR.

Last edited by 2ner; 08-30-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 11:35 AM

I could point out your racism but then you would deny it and then we would go back and forth and you would try to tie me up in semantics....your kind tends to follow a certain playbook....plus I am too busy trying to figure out how to use my big, burly Black body to bully somebody due to my inherent enviousness

Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I could point out your racism but then you would deny it and then we would go back and forth and you would try to tie me up in semantics....your kind tends to follow a certain playbook....plus I am too busy trying to figure out how to use my big, burly Black body to bully somebody due to my inherent enviousness
If you have a big, burly Black body, that doesn't mean you will use it to harm someone or intimidate someone else, as you well know. However, there are people with big, burly Black bodies who do use them to intimidate. Put that against an East Indian scrawny body. He really can't use it to intimidate. The playing field is not level.

Unfortunately, envy is a universal human trait... part of the fall of man.

From personal experience, people with big, burly Black bodies are generally wonderful, sincere, caring people. However, when you add a criminal element or two and a political system that is deeply divided along ethnic lines, as it is in Guyana, it is a recipe for trouble and has been and is trouble.

Again and to keep with the OP, Puerto Rico is a relative racial paradise. It seems everyone has a bit of Mandingo or other tribe, some Taino, and more Spaniard. It's not perfect, but the races are not at each other's throats like in other places. I've been to the DR as well. People of all races mix well, although Dominicans seem to really dislike Haitians.

Last edited by 2ner; 08-30-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I could be full of sh*t, too.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah! Triggered?

If you look at population stats for Guyana since independence, the proportion of East Indians has gone down quite significantly, while the proportion of blacks has remained relatively stable. Touché!
Actually it’s the mixed population that is growing while the East Indian and African populations are decreasing. The same is true for Trinidad. The mixed populations are the fastest growing in both places.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
If you have a big, burly Black body, that doesn't mean you will use it to harm someone or intimidate someone else, as you well know. However, there are people with big, burly Black bodies who do use them to intimidate. Put that against an East Indian scrawny body. He really can't use it to intimidate. The playing field is not level.

Unfortunately, envy is a universal human trait... part of the fall of man.

From personal experience, people with big, burly Black bodies are generally wonderful, sincere, caring people. However, when you add a criminal element or two and a political system that is deeply divided along ethnic lines, as it is in Guyana, it is a recipe for trouble and has been and is trouble.

Again and to keep with the OP, Puerto Rico is a relative racial paradise. It seems everyone has a bit of Mandingo or other tribe, some Taino, and more Spaniard. It's not perfect, but the races are not at each other's throats like in other places. I've been to the DR as well. People of all races mix well, although Dominicans seem to really dislike Haitians.
Puerto Rico isnt comparable...as the society is the product of one group that subjugated the other two. Eventually as slavery ended and people mixed, things improved. They are also virtually Christian, with more being Catholic. However, colorism is an issue there.

In Guyana, neither of the largest groups subjugated the other but both were in survival mode. Plus Guyana’s diversity is far beyond that of Puerto Rico...as the former is ethnically and religiously diverse. It has had struggles but it is one of the few places in the world where Christians, Hindus and Muslims etc live peacefully overall (same for Trinidad and Suriname). Makes for some great festivals, foods and overall culture.

The rest of your post is just strange...

Old 08-31-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Puerto Rico isnt comparable...as the society is the product of one group that subjugated the other two. Eventually as slavery ended and people mixed, things improved. They are also virtually Christian, with more being Catholic. However, colorism is an issue there.

In Guyana, neither of the largest groups subjugated the other but both were in survival mode. Plus Guyana’s diversity is far beyond that of Puerto Rico...as the former is ethnically and religiously diverse. It has had struggles but it is one of the few places in the world where Christians, Hindus and Muslims etc live peacefully overall (same for Trinidad and Suriname). Makes for some great festivals, foods and overall culture.

The rest of your post is just strange...
Blacks in the former British, Dutch and French West Indies, including Guyana, Trinidad, and Suriname... and Belize have historically expected all other groups to assimilate to *Creole* culture... to blend with them. They tend to see themselves as the founding people. However, East Indians in Guyana (and Trinidad and Suriname) really want nothing of it generally, although they do speak Guyanese Creole (or their version of it).

Last edited by 2ner; 08-31-2018 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas