Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 PM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

I've seen some pictures of this Colonial gold mining city it looks really nice is it worth visiting?

However it looks like it may be far from most places of interest what do you think?

Ouro Preto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
No, the city is really interesting and there are other points of interest not so far like Inhotim, one of Brazil's top attractions Inhotim (Brumadinho, Brazil) on TripAdvisor: Address, Phone Number, Top-Rated Attraction Reviews

You can also visit Mariana Top 29 things to do in Mariana, Brazil: Mariana Attractions, Belo Horizonte Top 30 things to do in Belo Horizonte, Brazil: Belo Horizonte Attractions and if you want to extend a little more, even Gruta de Maquiné Maquine cave - Cordisburgo - Reviews of Maquine cave - TripAdvisor and Rei do Mato Rei Do Mato cave (Belo Horizonte, Brazil): Address, Phone Number, Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 05-01-2015, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the links.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM

3,988 posts, read 6,793,025 times
It's very interesting to visit.

You will feel transported back to the 18th century, to 1760 or 1770.

Colonial buildings everywhere.

And there are many other old historical towns in that region.

There you can feel the most genuine "Brazilian soul".

Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Can someone tell me anything about Rio Preto. I just found out my great great grandfather went there in 1859 and is probably buried there. It is in the same region as Ouro Preto a place I have interest seeing some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Ouro Preto Brazil-rio-preto.png  

Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM

990 posts, read 881,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Can someone tell me anything about Rio Preto. I just found out my great great grandfather went there in 1859 and is probably buried there. It is in the same region as Ouro Preto a place I have interest seeing some day.
São Jose do Rio Preto is not really in the same area of Ouro Preto, the first is a city of 500.000 people in the north of São Paulo state 442 km far from São Paulo city and Ouro Preto is a city in Minas Gerais. The distance among both cities is 750 km.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
São Jose do Rio Preto is not really in the same area of Ouro Preto, the first is a city of 500.000 people in the north of São Paulo state 442 km far from São Paulo city and Ouro Preto is a city in Minas Gerais. The distance among both cities is 750 km.
Not that one the one in Minas Gerais is the one I'm referring to.

Translated from the wiki article quoted"The municipality has several waterfalls, rivers and mountains, and the famous farms of the time of the Empire remain to this day. There are still unexplored places, among them the grotto of the funnel, in an area covered with fine white sand. Its carnival is very famous, considered the best of the whole region. 6]" End quote

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Preto

Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Not that one the one in Minas Gerais is the one I'm referring to.

Translated from the wiki article quoted"The municipality has several waterfalls, rivers and mountains, and the famous farms of the time of the Empire remain to this day. There are still unexplored places, among them the grotto of the funnel, in an area covered with fine white sand. Its carnival is very famous, considered the best of the whole region. 6]" End quote

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Preto
Sorry I never listened about this city before.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Sorry I never listened about this city before.
No problem thanks anyway. It's a small place about 5,000 people live there now. I was wondering if someone has been there to see it in person or heard about it from someone who has been there I don't trust descriptions from the tourism industry.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
No problem thanks anyway. It's a small place about 5,000 people live there now. I was wondering if someone has been there to see it in person or heard about it from someone who has been there I don't trust descriptions from the tourism industry.
It is a border city of Minas Gerais and Rio de Jainero not so far from Rio de Janeiro city if you are over there in Rio I think would worth a day trip to meet your cousins! Probably many people in the city have the same blood than your!
In this kind of small city if you start a conversation with the locals in some pub or restaurants about you great-granparents who started the city there you will get many friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas