U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

Does Bogota/Colombia have anything similar to Yelp to help find nearby restaurants/bars/laundromats/etc.? Is Google Maps the best option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times
I use tripadvisor for restaurants and bars. As for laundromats, usually I'll have an airb&b that already has a washing machine but you can also check out the yellow pages (paginas amarillas).
Lavanderías en Bogotá, Colombia | Páginas Amarillas

Groupon also exists in Colombia for vouchers & stuff.

Other great apps are Mercadoni for grocery deliveries, Muvo for bike rentals and Easy Taxi for for taxis in case you don't want to use uber.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:01 PM

How about bigger supermarkets/department stores, something like Exitos or similar? I'm living in one of the Mirador de Takay buildings (Carrera 32a), hoping to find somewhere I can go and pick up everything at once. I know there's a bunch of big malls in Bogota but I'm not sure about near my location.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times
You're in a lower middle income area, yes you're on the main freeway to the airport and the more upscale Quinta Paredes near the US embassy but take minor precautions because you're in borderline the red light district which isn't so safe - although nothing to be too alarmed about.

You have a great market relatively close. You MUST go there! It's called Paloquemao, pronounced Palo-kay-mado. Market is pronounced Mer-kado. Take an uber or a taxi because as I said the bordering barrios can be dodgy but market itself is safe.

As for supermarket, depends what you're looking for. Exito is a good option, you have one in the Gran Estacion Mall on that same freeway just past the US embassy. Carulla is more upscale high quality and D1 is more budget, lower quality.

You also have a smaller mom&pop market across the street plus what looks like a chicken shop. https://goo.gl/maps/16pDZbYp66n Even the shops deliver to your door if you want, as you can see nearly all signs will say "a domicilio".

For restaurants you have four main areas - the nearest to you is La Macarena.

-La Macarena
-Zona G + Chapinero Alto (I recommend Mini-Mal restaurant)
-Zona T + Zona Rosa
-Usaquen

For bars there are 4 main areas.

-Zona T + Zona Rosa
-Usaquen
-Chapinero bajo (slightly sketchy but the biggest hardcore raves/rock/reggae spots - Largest gay club in the world 10,000 capacity called Theatron - but has a mixed crowd and 5-7 rooms with different music/themes.)
-Galerias (Local & AfroColombian hot-spot)

You also have a smaller area called Modelia towards the airport which is more local.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-03-2018 at 02:40 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 02:16 PM

Awesome reply thanks, would give more reputation to you if I could. Will definitely be checking out Paloquemao.

Instead of making a new thread I'll just bump this with another question:

Where in Bogota can a dude get his back waxed? I figured with a city of this size it wouldn't be too hard to find something, but a Google / TripAdvisor search reveals one spot with dismal reviews.

There are other spas/salons/etc. but when I go to their websites and look at their services, none of them show back wax as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas