U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,487,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I really don't mean to perpetuate stereotypes but this just sounds dodgy. Lol.

1st you had zero interest, now you have business there. All this while creating a thread on Colombians and race.

You really should express yourself better in order not to be misinterpreted. What does the "race" of Colombians have to do with your business in Colombia? Maybe Antonio and NyWriter are right and I'm just being naive. I hope not.
Well itís an event. Not really like a business trip. I said it differently.

Also I never really said I had zero interest, I donít know where you got that from. Maybe I said something along those lines? Idk.

My trip has nothing to do with race but it just piqued my interest now that Iím going there. I like race and ethnicity and since I donít have a lot of exposure to Colombians where Iím from, I wasnít really that interested until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,548,165 times
^^
Fair enough.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
^^
Fair enough.

Thanks for the clarification.
Thanks for understanding. Really appreciate it.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Caribbean Colombians don't have the most African influence. European and Native American influence is still very strong there, the latter more-so than anywhere else in the Caribbean basin apart from Maya-descendants of the Yucatan. PACIFIC Colombians have the most African influence probably more=so than anywhere else in the Americas.

Medellin is traditionally a majority white & mestizo city. There is a large imprint of Basque and Extremaduran migration in the late 18th century.

The Caribbean has the largest Indigenous population followed by the South West (Cauca, Huila & NariŮo) but there's pockets everywhere, in the Choco, in the Amazon, in the Llanos, etc. Bogota is a very Native American city in its admixture like Mexico City & Santiago.

No. Traditionally Bogota is like every other region in the country a culture isolate. Mainly a combination of 50% Native American, 30% Southern European and 20% British & Irish. Only recently (past 20 years) have people from all over the country been moving to the city. People from outside in the last 5-10 years only.

Yes and No. Many people also choose to relocate to Medellin.
The highest Middle Eastern concentration is again in the Caribbean, especially Barranquilla, Maicao and Cordoba state.
Itís interesting to know that. Do you know if Medellin has a large British population as well? Or maybe an Irish population? I will be going there so Iíd like to know if there are another communities, like maybe a Chinatown or if I should expect people from other Latin American countries. I know there are many Venezuelans in Colombia and Iím only assuming many are in Medellin since it is a large city with a thriving economy.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
It’s interesting to know that. Do you know if Medellin has a large British population as well? Or maybe an Irish population? I will be going there so I’d like to know if there are another communities, like maybe a Chinatown or if I should expect people from other Latin American countries. I know there are many Venezuelans in Colombia and I’m only assuming many are in Medellin since it is a large city with a thriving economy.

Thanks for any feedback.
The short answer is no. No Brit-Irish population or Chinatown in Medellin.

First of all there is no significant British or Irish population in Colombia. It's just part of the DNA of the people from the descendants of the British legion that fought in the independence wars to form the nation of Colombia. Most of this DNA is concentrated in Bogota where they mixed with the local Muisca Indians and Spanish criollos.

Other Latin American nationalities also have British/Irish DNA via the Celtic imprint on Spain but the people of Bogota receive it from both sides, creating a higher percentage on average.

Medellin is together with Chiang Mai in Thailand the Digital Nomad capital of the world. You will see plenty of North American & European ex-pats in Medellin especially in the Poblado district and more recently Laureles. However, this is a recent phenomenon and yes you will also see Venezuelans fleeing from the Chavista regime. You will also see black migrants from the Choců (the Pacific coast) and you will see some Colombian Caribbean migrants, especially from the city of Monteria. However, you won't see much else.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 AM

24,204 posts, read 17,598,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Well it’s an event. Not really like a business trip. I said it differently.

Also I never really said I had zero interest, I don’t know where you got that from. Maybe I said something along those lines? Idk.

My trip has nothing to do with race but it just piqued my interest now that I’m going there. I like race and ethnicity and since I don’t have a lot of exposure to Colombians where I’m from, I wasn’t really that interested until now.
Keep in mind these discussions often turn UGLY, and they can get pretty divisive. There are times when they legitimately need to be discussed, but race and Latin America have literally been done to DEATH on this forum, to the point of disrupting the forum.

There's a lot more to Latin American than American's racial obsessions, and let go of this stuff if you're going to Colombia.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Keep in mind these discussions often turn UGLY, and they can get pretty divisive. There are times when they legitimately need to be discussed, but race and Latin America have literally been done to DEATH on this forum, to the point of disrupting the forum.

There's a lot more to Latin American than American's racial obsessions, and let go of this stuff if you're going to Colombia.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas