U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 AM
 
1,209 posts, read 1,484,158 times
Reputation: 923

Advertisements

I know Colombians in the Caribbean are more like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans because they are near the coast and have the most African influence because of its location. But how about the ones in cities like Medellin, Bogota, and Cali? I hear Medellin is very white, at least for a Latin American city, is that true? Also where are the Indigenous people more likely to be found? Is Bogota the more mixed race city since it is the capital and largest city? Are immigrants from other non Hispanic places like Europe and the Middle East more likely to move to Bogota because it is the most important city in Colombia, in terms of the economy. Thanks in advance for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2018, 01:15 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know Colombians in the Caribbean are more like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans because they are near the coast and have the most African influence
Caribbean Colombians don't have the most African influence. European and Native American influence is still very strong there, the latter more-so than anywhere else in the Caribbean basin apart from Maya-descendants of the Yucatan. PACIFIC Colombians have the most African influence probably more=so than anywhere else in the Americas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I hear Medellin is very white, at least for a Latin American city, is that true?
Medellin is traditionally a majority white & mestizo city. There is a large imprint of Basque and Extremaduran migration in the late 18th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Also where are the Indigenous people more likely to be found?
The Caribbean has the largest Indigenous population followed by the South West (Cauca, Huila & Nariño) but there's pockets everywhere, in the Choco, in the Amazon, in the Llanos, etc. Bogota is a very Native American city in its admixture like Mexico City & Santiago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Is Bogota the more mixed race city since it is the capital and largest city?
No. Traditionally Bogota is like every other region in the country a culture isolate. Mainly a combination of 50% Native American, 30% Southern European and 20% British & Irish. Only recently (past 20 years) have people from all over the country been moving to the city. People from outside in the last 5-10 years only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Are immigrants from other non Hispanic places like Europe and the Middle East more likely to move to Bogota because it is the most important city in Colombia, in terms of the economy.
Yes and No. Many people also choose to relocate to Medellin.
The highest Middle Eastern concentration is again in the Caribbean, especially Barranquilla, Maicao and Cordoba state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
I am just going to add to this that it was just my observations that when in Bogota I found that in the La candelaria area vs when in the Zona Rosa people generally looked different.


In the Zona Rosa I noticed most of the people I encountered on the streets and in stores had a fair skin colour. compared to the La candelaria. I literally found it easier not to stand out in Zona Rosa.


Re-Middle Eastern people don't assume they have the same complexion. You can see the same amount of diversity in middle eastern people that you can see in Colombian people. I have family from Syria, Lebanon and Morocco and in each place there is high diversity in that area even with in my own family. I have some cousins that are blonde with blue or green eyes with straight hair, ones that are darker with dark curly hair and ones like me that are fair completion with very dark curly hair. A lot of diversity. There is no homogenous 'Middle East" look.


That is why I would say if someone had some extra time in Bogota trying to go to a bunch of different areas in the city or you are going to get a very bias opinion of the city. It is like going to Manhattan and only staying in China Town. You will out on a lot if only saying in one spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 03:13 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-Middle Eastern people don't assume they have the same complexion.
It's not about assumption. It's just a fact that many Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinians went to Barranquilla in the 19th century. You'll find some that have then migrated to other parts of the country but the epicentre is Barranquilla.

Just came back from Jordan and Israel. Saw all types of complexions there, not many black people though, the handful I saw were mainly Ethiopian/Eritrean. Far more of a black presence in Colombia, Bogota not so much but still more than the Levant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Fort Bend County
2,524 posts, read 5,058,616 times
Reputation: 2152
Bogota & Medellin are very white.
Cartagena & Cali start to become a little more brown/black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Bogotanos are not that white there are of course white people but the majority of real Bogotanos are nearly half Muisca i.e. Chibcha Amerindians. With a substantial contribution of British & Irish as well as Iberian/Italian although most people are not aware of the former due to the British legion being part of forming a separate Colombian identity based on the promoted Creole/Mestizo values the years after independence and of course the Celts via Spain.

DNA results Bogotanos...

45% Native American, 25% British, 13% Iberian, 10% Italy/Greece


49% Native American, 18% British, 12% Iberian, 10% Italy/Greece

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-04-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's not about assumption. It's just a fact that many Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinians went to Barranquilla in the 19th century. You'll find some that have then migrated to other parts of the country but the epicentre is Barranquilla.

Just came back from Jordan and Israel. Saw all types of complexions there, not many black people though, the handful I saw were mainly Ethiopian/Eritrean. Far more of a black presence in Colombia, Bogota not so much but still more than the Levant.
Oh sorry. Not debating that. I am just talking about skin colour.


Re-Jordan jealous!! Did you go to Petra. I have mixed feelings about visiting Israel for personal reasons. I do think it is a interesting place to visit. I dated 2 Israeli guys before getting married and neither of them looked anything like each other so again diversity.


I think in Middle Eastern Countries the look of people often varies by region too.
For example in Libya and Morocco people in the south of the country are usually black/ darker and people in the north are usually more light skinned except for in the major cities where most people gravitate to especially if they are trying to smuggle in Europe. When in North East Morocco I never really noticed any black people. When I went south in the country then I started to see more black people. Regardless the entire concept of "black" in confusing to me. As all skin tones are a spectrum and people inter marry regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Bogotanos are not that white there are of course white people but the majority of real Bogotanos are nearly half Muisca i.e. Chibcha Amerindians. With a substantial contribution of British & Irish as well as Iberian/Italian although most people are not aware of the former due to the British legion being part of forming a separate Colombian identity based on the promoted Creole/Mestizo values the years after independence and of course the Celts via Spain.

DNA results Bogotanos...

45% Native American, 25% British, 13% Iberian, 10% Italy/Greece


49% Native American, 18% British, 12% Iberian, 10% Italy/Greece


I don't know ... but all I know is once I got the Zona Rosa ... I was like what the heck happened? It was noticeable. My husband even noticed. Regardless no where in Colombia did I feel like I stood out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)
 
5,166 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Reputation: 4264
Can someone please explain why all of the sudden all these race-based threads are popping up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Can someone please explain why all of the sudden all these race-based threads are popping up?

I don't think there's an explanation apart from recent exposure and some people wanting to know more about what they previously didn't know much about. Threads on any subject can pop up at any time - travel, economy, infrastructure, language, rankings are also popular.

It's usually the same characters that ask these questions - people that are unexposed to the wider world or a particular world and people like you and I can inform them...nothing bad about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top