Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 07:19 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Meh, Chile is on another level. By most economic and social measures, Chile is about on the same development level as Portugal, Hungary, or Poland. I think Sao Paulo and Santa Catarina are on that development level too, but the rest of Brazil is easily lagging behind Chile or Uruguay

Chile is about at the same level of Argentina, Hungary, Croatia and Poland, yes. Portugal is a notch above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM

15 posts, read 15,790 times
Yes, I am happening in Brazil, however is something normal when countries get higher levels of social development

Old 07-04-2018, 07:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
No they can't, they can adapt and function but they can not be fluent. The languages are significantly different phonetically.
If they are immigrants within a few months their Portuguese will be serviceable, clearly with a distinct accent. Even I whose Spanish is extremely poor, was able to figure out what was going on, so a native Spanish speaker should be able to figure out Portuguese much faster Yes with a distinct accent.

But what folks are forgetting is that Angola is not that far and there are already airlinks and a decent sized population in Brazil. If Brazil ever does suffer chronic labor shortages Angola and Mozambique will gladly supply. They already speak Portuguese and are highly exposed To Brazilian culture. Noting also that some aspect of Brazilian culture are also rooted in Angola.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The new president seems to do everything he can in order to destroy his country's future. The budget for education has been slashed by 1/3 and there are big protests. The president's rating is the poorest of any president in decades.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
The current president is still new. I’m not a big fan of Bolsonaro, but lets give him one year to fully see where he is headed. At least I give one year to every president I keep an eye on, then I make up my mind about them.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Where he (and the country) is headed has been clear since the moment he got elected, in my view.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where he (and the country) is headed has been clear since the moment he got elected, in my view.
True.......

Old 05-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think that's a problem in the long run. All countries economies go through boom and busts, and Brazil is no different. All countries have political problems too, and these problems come and go in cycles.

There is no place in the world that does not have corruption.

Look at the Trump administration in the US. Actually, there's always been a lot of corruption in the US and it never stopped people from moving here.
Also the migration of Brazilian nationals to Portugal was one of the reasons the working age demographic was seen as declining. Now they are blocking some of those immigrants. But long term, I also dont see this as an issue in the long term...

Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
It's often said, fertility rate gets too low, more reliance on immigrants. But from where, as the 1-2 child family has swept a good part of the world, even Mexico. Even in Muslim Iran the fertility rate has fallen to 1.8 forcing the Iranian leader to ban vasectomies. And never mind the high fertility rates in sub Sahara Africa as how many of those babies will even reach the age of 5 or 12?

The wealthier countries can more afford a low fertility rate, as they can afford robots, like Japan, where there's a mere 1.2 applicants per job. There's now an all robot hotel in Tokyo, robotic caregivers and robotic sex workers and robots working in agriculture. But can Brazil afford that with a huge aging population?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 AM

990 posts, read 881,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Also the migration of Brazilian nationals to Portugal was one of the reasons the working age demographic was seen as declining. Now they are blocking some of those immigrants. But long term, I also dont see this as an issue in the long term...
Are you crazy?? There are only 270.000 brazilian / european (double citizenship) and 160.000 brazilian (only brazilian citizenship) in Portugal... Nothing for a country of 210 millions people.... 0,001%

I saw few days ago that the situation is not as bad as imagened before. Most of current generation only postponed of having babies in theirs 20 yo, to their 30 yo, so we had a gap of babies for 10 years but now the numbers are on par again with western countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas