U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,645,688 times

Advertisements

Currently many countries in Eastern and Southern Europe and Japan are experiencing a population decline. I've read many articles about Brazil's decreasing birthrate and increasing elderly population. Currently Brazil's population isn't declining but if these trends continue I wonder if it will. It could harm Brazil's status as a potential Superpower. As it stands it is on the verge of being taken over by Pakistan as the 5th most populous country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 AM

729 posts, read 382,426 times
Yes it is currently happening in Brazil but is something normal when countries get higher levels of social development

Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 AM

606 posts, read 526,373 times
Some brazilian states will have a decrease in the population before 2030 and the country as a whole before 2050. Social security will collapse with no reforms. I honestly think Brazil could easily support a 300 million population, it's sad we'll fail to reach 250 million and already start to decrease.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM

729 posts, read 382,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Some brazilian states will have a decrease in the population before 2030 and the country as a whole before 2050. Social security will collapse with no reforms. I honestly think Brazil could easily support a 300 million population, it's sad we'll fail to reach 250 million and already start to decrease.
What is the difference of have 200 or 300 million people in Brazil? I think we already have enough people

Old 05-08-2018, 11:54 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Countries that are experiencing population decline in Europe, Asia, and North America have traditionally seen it as a serious problem, and some of that sentiment lingers, but the economies and workforce demands of these countries are changing dramatically. To the point where people are talking about, and even experimenting with, Universal Basic Income.

If Brazil's economy demands laborers, they will either have to shift populations internally, or accept immigrants.

If the states with declining populations are in keeping with trends in modern workforce demands, they will have to join the solutions being considered by other nations seeing the same trends.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 PM

731 posts, read 1,188,711 times
I think Brazil will be fine. Even if their population begins to decline, I don't think they'll have a problem with attracting immigrants from other South American countries. Native Spanish speakers can become fluent in Portuguese in a matter of weeks or months.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM

323 posts, read 72,263 times
Due to alot of the crime and corruption, more and more people are trying to emigrate out of Brazil. I think that's a bigger problem in the long-run.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,645,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Due to alot of the crime and corruption, more and more people are trying to emigrate out of Brazil. I think that's a bigger problem in the long-run.
On the whole are there currently more people leaving Brazil than coming in? I know at one point it was the other way around.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 AM

24,227 posts, read 17,617,739 times
Quote:
I don't think that's a problem in the long run. All countries economies go through boom and busts, and Brazil is no different. All countries have political problems too, and these problems come and go in cycles.

There is no place in the world that does not have corruption.

Look at the Trump administration in the US. Actually, there's always been a lot of corruption in the US and it never stopped people from moving here.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 PM

909 posts, read 668,442 times
Quote:
Disagree... that's a far greater problem in small West Indian countries than it is in a large country like Brazil...Brazil is too large in population, size, resources and opportunity for that to become too big of an issue...far more likely that there would a revolt of some kind before emigration had that big of an effect on Brazil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or