U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:35 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times

Advertisements

"Illegal mining" is an artificial, man-made construct. The law is made by to rich to protect their wealth. The Law does not define good and bad, it defines who is allowed to abuse power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Buying gold jewelry in Columbia? Or raw gold in Columbia? Are you qualified to tell the difference between real gpld, gold plated, jewelers yellow metal?

With the crime rate, I'd not be confident that gold was honestly represented every time. Gold is an awfully easy item to counterfeit. As are emeralds, which are very often "enhanced."

Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 PM

2,874 posts, read 1,545,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
With the crime rate, I'd not be confident that gold was honestly represented every time. Gold is an awfully easy item to counterfeit. As are emeralds, which are very often "enhanced."
Crime rate doesn't permeate everywhere. What is it with Americans and their sweeping statements? Is everything in Oakland bootleg because of the crime rate (same stats as Colombia)?
She has already stated she's looking for jewellery. There are many high streets with reputable stores, not to mention the many Gold and Emerald museums nationwide that have their own stores AND the national hallmark system.

Imagine all the bootleg in Tiffany & Co, Glauser and Tous

Tiffany & Co Bogota https://goo.gl/maps/4QRbjLAT3xC2
Glauser/Tous Bogota https://goo.gl/maps/Cb387cGKgGM2

Why stop there. What about all that bootleg Jimmy Choo, Hugo Boss, Swatch, Swarovski, even Nike? Oh but the local chains must be bootleg.

https://goo.gl/maps/XPjoKkKt39K2

Please!

Old 05-28-2018, 12:00 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
"Illegal mining" is an artificial, man-made construct. The law is made by to rich to protect their wealth. The Law does not define good and bad, it defines who is allowed to abuse power.
Sadly I agree with your comments.
If reminds me how messed up taxation is where I am from. The super rich are able to cheat the system and hide their income while the middle class and upper middle class get cheated. Those who have the most influence creating the laws certainly tend to manipulate the legal system to their advantage.

It is just really messed up when you see countries with abundant resources and many people significantly struggling.
It is not like you habe barren land ..... there is signifcant wealth.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:18 AM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Buying gold jewelry in Columbia? Or raw gold in Columbia? Are you qualified to tell the difference between real gpld, gold plated, jewelers yellow metal?

Qualified lol.....no. I am just learning. I currently as a hobby buy resale silver and gold mainly designer jewelery. I have a science back ground and I am learning to authentic things.
This is just a hobby. I would never purse this seriously if is a lot of work with not enough of a payout.

I mainly acquiring these items for myself and hopefully to pass on to my daughter.

The way I figure if you learn how to the difference on your own you have the potential to score some great deals. Where I am from at times people get things as gifts and at times dont understand the value of the items and careless sell them very cheap. A few months ago I bought a 10 k gold necklace that would retail for $300 in most local jewelery stores for $20. If you know what to look for then you can get amazing deals. These types of purchases are a gamble at times. But for me it is part of the learning experience. You study the item in question before trying to purchase and don't spend more then you are comfortable loosing. You do your home work ... but right .... you score a profit. You make a mistake your profit go down but you hopefully learn a good lesson.

There is a very expensive necklace I really liked. I did not have the $20 000 plus tax to buy it. I ended up getting a imitation one for under $10. I walked in this high end jewelery store that at times sells this brand and they actually did not realize it was fake lol when I had it on until I told him. At the end of the day it is just a fashion item. The more you pay the more effort to take to verify authenticity.

After seeing a $300 000 tiffany emerald ring .... I would gladly wear a $10 replica because it is not a practical purchase and even if it was real people would assume it was fake or be unlikely to tell.

Last edited by klmrocks; 05-28-2018 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 01:07 AM

Default .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Crime rate doesn't permeate everywhere. What is it with Americans and their sweeping statements? Is everything in Oakland bootleg because of the crime rate (same stats as Colombia)?
She has already stated she's looking for jewellery. There are many high streets with reputable stores, not to mention the many Gold and Emerald museums nationwide that have their own stores AND the national hallmark system.

Imagine all the bootleg in Tiffany & Co, Glauser and Tous

Tiffany & Co Bogota https://goo.gl/maps/4QRbjLAT3xC2
Glauser/Tous Bogota https://goo.gl/maps/Cb387cGKgGM2

Why stop there. What about all that bootleg Jimmy Choo, Hugo Boss, Swatch, Swarovski, even Nike? Oh but the local chains must be bootleg.

https://goo.gl/maps/XPjoKkKt39K2

Please!
Everything has a counter fit version now. Totally scary. What is messed up is that sometimes the counter fits are so good that sales staff can accidently accept them as returns and then their stock gets contaminated. I have being actively buying high end designer items for the last few years and have learned a lot.

The more you are spending the more cautious you should be. In many cases if it is too cheap it is counter fit or stolen.

When buying resale person to person I have learned if you are buying an item for women from a man and he does not really know the product .... if it checks out to be authentic it is likely stolen/found or "fell off the back of a truck".

I have done some rather interesting person to person purchases.

Like if you see a Chanel Bag for sale for $300 with tag on it ... dream on its real. No one is that lucky lol.

From my experiences on Colombia trying to buy Jewlery the physical stores are reputable. People with actual stores are likely to mess around as the transaction can be traced back to them. People inside the Emerald Market with stores are not messing around. The people outside on the street can be at times but this happens everywhere.

Also common sense needs to be applied if I get someone offering an Emerald Ring like the one at Tiffany's for cheap it is seriously either fake or stolen. Expensive pieces usually are very traceable and if you walk in to a pawn shop or the actual store with the item ....you might end up being questioned by the police or blamed for involvement in the theft if the stolen item was report to the police.

I did for Emerald Shopping but only in stores. The downside of buying on the street from people outside the Emerald Market is safety. I was leaving the Gold Musem and my daughter went to touch this mama thing. No big deal. As soon as she said loud I English oh it so cute we got swarmed by touts who followed us for a bit. I can not image how dangerous it was be to pull out $500 us in the middle of the street to buy a nice emerald.

There were a few gold items I saw that seemed well prices .... but I did not want to go crazy buying stuff.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:52 PM

15 posts, read 5,823 times
I do not think that the show I was watching was suggesting that when people buy gold from Colombia some of the money of the gold trade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or