Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Horrible! Horrible!

I can't get my head around this.

This map in this twitter account show the parts of the country that's covered in ashes. Imagine all the subsistence farmers, especially the Maya indians, that will lose all of their crops. They live and eat solely from what they farm from their small plots of land. The ash might kill their crops!

https://twitter.com/EU_Xela/status/1003441003196448769

The horrible scene in Guatemala City and in the rests of the country as the volcano erupts.

Views from the air of the ashes covered country. Poor farmers, many of them cling to life from what their plots of land produces.

This poor man lost 9 family members all at once due to the eruption.

This indigenous (probably Maya) Guatemalan woman, covered in ashes, says in Spanish that she and a small group ran as soon as they saw the lava covering everything. She also says most people were not able to make it out alive. She also thinks many of her own family members are buried in the lava and ashes. She probably lost everything. Poor lady!

The bodies of the dead are covered in ashes right on the road.

Woman in tears says a lot of people were not able to escape the ashes and lava.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:28 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
It seems that some tourist was videotaping the volcano's summit and captured the moment of the eruption. Look how much lava flowed out of the volcano almost instantaneously!

"Raining" ashes in this family's backyard.

Volcanic ash accumulating fast as it falls on Guatemala City.

This woman while crying laments that her children were all buried and asks God why he let this happen.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
The death toll is at 25 right now but it will probably be much higher. I read online it erupted again this morning.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
So sad. I don't understand why they build houses that close to a volcano. Just because it has been dormant for a while, it doesn't mean it won't erupt again.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
So sad. I don't understand why they build houses that close to a volcano. Just because it has been dormant for a while, it doesn't mean it won't erupt again.
Why do real estate developers in the US build in floodplains? There are no zoning codes prohibiting it in many instances.

Also, in Guatemala the best land was taken by the settler populations, and the flat, well-watered locations were taken for commercial farming. The result was that the Native people, who form the majority of the population, in most cases were pushed up the mountainsides. And in Central America, the mountains are volcanoes. In the past, the government didn't care where the Native people lived or how they got by in life, so there was no consideration to zoning or taking other measures to ensure their safety and well-being. This is what marginalization looks like. These are the effects of hundreds of years of a segregated society.

The Mayan people have lived with this for eons. I wonder if there's some ancestral memory, oral histories perhaps, of how to live after such an event. It's the volcanic eruptions throughout Central America's history that are responsible for the extremely rich and fertile soil in the region. The problem is that this eruption has only just begun. THere's no way to know how much more ash will be dumped, to say nothing of the lava flows.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-04-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In the past, the government didn't care where the Native people lived or how they got by in life, so there was no consideration to zoning or taking other measures to ensure their safety and well-being.
They still don't care. At least not in Guatemala.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:28 PM

Death toll has already doubled. It will probably double again within the next day or two.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They still don't care. At least not in Guatemala.
Some new laws were made in the 90's, recognizing Indigenous peoples' rights, but it seems to have been mostly window-dressing.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I live in a country where 100-million people live in areas that are at risk at any moment of a volcanic eruption. They have nowhere else to build. There was one a month or two ago, where residents were evacuated.

Why do millions of Americans live with an even more dangerous tornado risk in Dallas, Kansas City, Atlanta, Chicago?

For the rural indigenous people in Guatemala, the last thing they need is for the government to come in and force them all to leave their homes and their land and resettle elsewhere, because a volcano might erupt in the next thousand years or so.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
This is so sad. Reminds me of the recent incident that took place in Bali. Makes me wonder whether a volcano can ever truly be called extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas