Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,389,080 times

Advertisements

I doubt that you're going to get good advice on this board. Aren't you Trini? Go ask your female family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,689,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I doubt that you're going to get good advice on this board. Aren't you Trini? Go ask your female family.
Can't.

Husband is going to be out of the country with our child during the event. He does not know I am in the parade . I am not telling him or he will be furious. If I ask ..... someone is going to one day let it slip and he will go nuts or purposely tell him just to mess up my plans.

And if he even finds out how much I am paying for the costume he will be pissed.

So in short.... complicated !

Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,340,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Can't.

Husband is going to be out of the country with our child during the event. He does not know I am in the parade . I am not telling him or he will be furious. If I ask ..... someone is going to one day let it slip and he will go nuts or purposely tell him just to mess up my plans.

And if he even finds out how much I am paying for the costume he will be pissed.

So in short.... complicated !
Why? Is he a religous christian?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why? Is he a religous christian?
As I said it is complicated.

He would be mad.... but I always get my way eventually. I don't want to waste time fighting about this. I dont want to deal with the drama so it is best he does not know. I don't want to upset him so I just won't tell him. It is a win-win. I like having my secretes.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,340,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
As I said it is complicated.

He would be mad.... but I always get my way eventually. I don't want to waste time fighting about this. I dont want to deal with the drama so it is best he does not know. I don't want to upset him so I just won't tell him. It is a win-win. I like having my secretes.
Since he is gone maybe I can join you?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Default .......

Quote:
Since he is gone maybe I can join you?
No thanks .

I don't need anyone blocking my costume .

I told a few friends and a few one or two were like okay maybe we or this or that person should come and ... I thought about is and HELL no.

I don't want anyone crashing my party and bringing their own baggage.

This is one of the few perks of doing someone solo and why I prefer going to concerts alone now.

You don't have to deal with anyone else's drama.

You come and go as you like and just enjoy the event.

When Roosh V wrote that article about Toronto women I had to laugh as in some ways some of what he had some truth to it. Far too many women have this idea they need to be sheltered from something. They have to walk around or in to an event in groups. It is just not needed. The big bad man or group of men you are suppose to fear is not really all that real and they will not mess with you if hold your own. If you walk around acting like a victim you will find someone who wants to pray on people like that. I had my minions when I was younger. I am not a little kid or teenager. If you walk around like you own the place and know what you are doing those looking for a victim will be scared off.

Also I would argue that going with men to this types of events causes more problems then benefits.
My brother would have come too with his friend and his girl friend... but I thought about it and realized it would be more of a headache then a benefit.

For example .....
You are dancing and doing your thing.
Someone half drunk or too pushy starts trying to dance with you and you are not interested.

The men with you are going to feel compelled to step in.
Then more often then not a fight is going to break out and that guy that thinks he was doing you a favour gets injured, arrested or killed for nothing. Men often suck as de-escalating things.
Also men often get more aggressive with other men trying to prevent them from talking to or dancing with someone.

Most of the time if you don't want to dance with someone especially if they have been drinking if you are polite, firm and not disrespectful to them they will eventually go away or dance with someone else and the drama is avoided. Most importantly if I am having an issue I got a phone and there is security at the event. In public a man is more likely to physically assault another man then a women.

Ex If he gets seen hitting another man to defend himself he looks like a bad ass.
He gets seen hitting a woman in public he looks like a jerk and is likely going to get jumped by a bunch of people.

Last edited by klmrocks; 06-06-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 03:47 PM

The EVENT has been completed! And it was a blast.

If anyone ever actually searches this topic and wants some tips I have many practical ones.

Feel free to direct message me.

I am going to eventually try to write up a proper list as after taking part in my first Carnival Parade in costume I SERIOUSLY suggest everyone try it at least once.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:17 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,131,653 times
Oh wow! Missed this thread!

TBH, when I played mas in Trinidad some years ago, I just did my own makeup. But nowadays, I would hire a makeup artist to put on the makeup/paint and jewels. I tend to be really simple so that’s the best way for me to look amazing with little effort.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,131,653 times
Quote:
Just wear a thong bikini and make sure you are showing as much skin as posible.

Oh yeah and flip flops.
Yea, only a man would say something like this...lol.

First of all, you wear the costume you paid for or you can’t enter the band area.

Secondly, no one in their right mind would wear flip flops when you’re dancing for hours on end and people around you are jumping. Smh.

Nice try but leave this to the ladies and the men who actually play mas. LOLOL.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Oh wow! Missed this thread!

TBH, when I played mas in Trinidad some years ago, I just did my own makeup. But nowadays, I would hire a makeup artist to put on the makeup/paint and jewels. I tend to be really simple so that’s the best way for me to look amazing with little effort.
I actually did my own makeup. I usually do wear makeup and have loads on stuff.
I watched a bunch if YouTube videos for ideas .

If anyone is ever wondering here are some basic tips:

The main reason I wanted to do it myself is that I am not a morning person and dud not want anyone talking to be that early in the morning. Also it is not that complicated if you follow the steps.

I did a trail run the day before.

1. Must wear primer ..... It actually really helped
2. Foundation
3. Patched of concealer under the eyes to help remove any eye shadow that falls
4. A few different eyeshadow colours one light and several others that match your costume if possible. Lightest colour all over ... darkest on the lid..... and you can blend and apply In so many different ways and patterns so I can't do in to details.
5. Liquid eyeliner ( better then a pencil or shakedown blacknlibe as it stats inn better)
6. Mascara ... you need to apply thus before the fake laahed to help cover any shadow that fell.
7. Fake eyelashes for ultimate drama must apply with eyelash glue or it won't keep all day I was practicing
putting this in all week and mailed it just the night before.
8. Shade in eyebrows
9. If you want to add shimmer/ flutter thst stays on spray some hair spray in a dish and mix in some glitter and paint on you eyes under brie to kid as little or as much as you want.
10. Clean up any smuggs .... or falling shadow with conclear and blend in until area looks flawless.
11. Dust face with foundation powder to get a more mart feel
12. To apply jewles just buy different stickers and to keep them on all day ad sone lash glue to the back of each jewel befire sticking it on and the face. You can create any pattern in colours that work with you costume.
13. Apply lipstick.... I just used a a high gloss that was a light colour as my eyes were high drama and I don't like heavy lip and eye makeup ....... but sone people can pull both off together
14. Dust face and body with glitter as desired

It took 1 to 2 hours to do this..... but it actu ally stayed on the entire day and looked wicked.

You could pull this look off for under $40 if you buy lower end stuff from the dollar store. Another tip if you are on a budget and want to incorporated some higher end products go to places some of these products and explain that you are trying to create a look and want to trail the product before purchase. One lady gave me free samples of this primer which really helped. It retails for $50 so her free samples were enough for the day and helped me avoid making the purchase.

I got loads of complements in my make up and it stay on all day.

I am really picky so I know if I has someone do this for me I would be annoyed if it was not perfect plus talking to some for 2 hours that early would have made to crazy.

Another too is a lot of make up counters will teach you how to do this for free or if you agree to purchase a certain amount of make up. Costume make up application is more elaborate then day to day makeup so I would not take advice from just anyone.

Last bit if advice. Get your make up done in advance and not on site. It will be too hot and might not adhere as well.

On my trail day I wore this make up out to a mall and I got some funny reactions lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas